Re: Politics, History, Society, and Current Affairs

deadhorse13 wrote:

anyone wanna debate god now?  that's always a good one  lol

Umm, hello?  I'm right here!  big_smile

deadhorse13 wrote:

anyone wanna debate god now?  that's always a good one  lol

hehe ok..

'The Last Temptation of Christ' or 'The Passion of the Christ'?

I'm gonna go with temptation..

despite Passion being a pretty awesome gore film I gotta give it to Last Temptation  LOL

yeah temptation leaves a little more room for free thought.. however, they are both great.

deadhorse13 wrote:

you know I just had a "debate" about politics the other night with a friend of mine.
In a nutshell I rattled off under a number of rum and cokes a diatribe to this effect:

the United States is almost nothing short of a fascist conglomerate owned and dictated by a few huge corporations and for the last 30 years or so they've bought and sold our "freedoms" at will according to their interests and will continue to do so no matter who is in office(s).  Someone is always willing to grease the wheel.
They own everything - including you.
And I feel politicians and elections are really nothing but an elaborate "illusion" to make us think we are a free democracy.  We don't really have as many choices as we think we do - look around and investigate - everybody's in bed with each other - and you know what - not any of you reading this will ever be invited to the orgy  wink

Now keep in mind I was pretty shit-canned when I made this sweeping declaration - but sadly I still pretty much stand by it even now.  Cool beans, huh?  LOL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6oBo8CJxatQ

deadhorse13 wrote:

http://ameliaintaiwan.files.wordpress.com/2010/11/george-carlin-thinks-too-much.jpg

I just love this guy. cool

Carlin was the man, and I am in complete agreement with most of his thoughts on things.

now if I could only get that whole intelligent and articulate thing down  lol

be intelligent through metaphor and they won't get you wink

Anyone following the Occupy Wall Street protests? This is kind of interesting -

http://www.addictinginfo.org/2011/10/01 … ice-image/

Police led the protestors onto the Brooklyn Bridge so they could protest there, then arrested hundred of them for blocking traffic. The NY Times printed an artical about it on their website, then changed it 20 minutes later so the NYPD don't take any blame.

^^^
It's also spreading to other cities now.

Article from Philly-
http://www.philly.com/philly/business/2 … =124488489

Though I have no idea where they are going to protest.  Basically there is a shooting somewhere in the city every day now, and at least one death every 3rd day.  Place is going to hell.

Thumbs up if you think we need a FREAKIN WORLDWIDE REVOLUTION. RICH GREEDY SELF SERVING ELITES AND CORPORATIONS HAVE WORKED TOGETHER TO OPPRESS US FOR TOO LONG
VIVA LA REVOLUTION!

http://www.sabotagetimes.com/wp-content/uploads/Pink-Cher-423x600.jpg

The Creature wrote:

Anyone following the Occupy Wall Street protests? This is kind of interesting -

http://www.addictinginfo.org/2011/10/01 … ice-image/

Police led the protestors onto the Brooklyn Bridge so they could protest there, then arrested hundred of them for blocking traffic. The NY Times printed an artical about it on their website, then changed it 20 minutes later so the NYPD don't take any blame.

I was reading about this earlier, myself.  You might notice in the comments section that the people they arrested were protesting against the same corporation which had recently donated over four million dollars to the NYPD.

Justice for hire.  God, I love this country.

^
And the America Government has been trying to export its so called "perfect" Democracy for decades. Yeah good luck with that.

Don't get me wrong.  I do love my country.  I've even fought for it.  But part of loving anything is recognizing its flaws, and we've got a buttload right now.

Sadly, I own see it getting worse.

Vasquez wrote:

Thumbs up if you think we need a FREAKIN WORLDWIDE REVOLUTION. RICH GREEDY SELF SERVING ELITES AND CORPORATIONS HAVE WORKED TOGETHER TO OPPRESS US FOR TOO LONG
VIVA LA REVOLUTION!

Hell Yes!

HORRORKID wrote:
Vasquez wrote:

VIVA LA REVOLUTION!

Hell Yes!

Me three!!!

LoudLon wrote:

Don't get me wrong.  I do love my country.  I've even fought for it.  But part of loving anything is recognizing its flaws, and we've got a buttload right now.

We have to separate the country from the politicos who run it.  I don't even blame businesses that much, they trying to earn money (do they go overboard, yeah).  But at the root is the politicians that have set up the laws that allow for all of the huge abuses by companies; for example, the House Housing Committee relaxed regulations on 'sub-prime' loans, and even encouraged banks to use them so "more people could get better housing."  About 2 days after that the WSJ was saying "you all are fucking nuts!"

On a tangential note- did you know that if your house is foreclosed on that in most states, if the mortgage holder get less than what is owed on the mortgage, they can sue you?  And guess what these mortgage holders are doing with these assets- they're bundling them & reselling or doing equity swaps.  Just like all the sub-prime loans before.

Fucking dolts.

Here's a vid of me and a couple of my buds (Alex and Shawney) at a small 'Occupy' protest in Eau Claire, if anyone's interested. It was a nice experience, and there were some cool people to talk too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2kLmXr8sbQ

azathoth wrote:
LoudLon wrote:

We have to separate the country from the politicos who run it.  I don't even blame businesses that much, they trying to earn money (do they go overboard, yeah).  But at the root is the politicians that have set up the laws that allow for all of the huge abuses by companies; for example, the House Housing Committee relaxed regulations on 'sub-prime' loans, and even encouraged banks to use them so "more people could get better housing."  About 2 days after that the WSJ was saying "you all are fucking nuts!"

On a tangential note- did you know that if your house is foreclosed on that in most states, if the mortgage holder get less than what is owed on the mortgage, they can sue you?  And guess what these mortgage holders are doing with these assets- they're bundling them & reselling or doing equity swaps.  Just like all the sub-prime loans before.

Fucking dolts.

First of all there is a thin line between politicians and the private sector. Where do politicians and even high up military officials go when they retire? With the exception of ones like ex presidents that can get paid just for showing up to dinners and talks, the before mentioned  go to work for the corporations they were arguably already working for.

As for housing Everyone wants to point at the subprime lending and back off the just plain crazy landing (ARMS, interest only loans etc..) that were being made, almost with the intention of default. Not to mention the crazy house prices. Here in southern Orange county California house prices at the peak of the bubble were insane. What had been a 200 thousand two bedroom condo two years before turned into 600 thousand dollar condo and the crazy lending made that possible (for awhile) you can’t blame the government for that, that’s plain greed. That’s not just the irresponsible and low income people getting loans and screwed. When there is not one reasonably priced house on the market at any level, then that’s a whole lot of hard working decent people getting the American dream held just out of reach and facing dire consequences if they try and grab it.

I am all about free enterprise and capitalism.  But the making money without any concern for consequences attitude is going to make this country pay dear. They want to paint you as a loafer and un-American, if you complain about cooperate greed. But as they kill the affordability of housing and access to bread and butter loans, and send all the jobs overseas or to Mexico. They can’t understand why we’re in a recession soon to be depression. They can’t understand why china is kicking are ass and your neighborhood shopping centers and malls are turning into ghost towns.

The money still has money, the middle (although most too prideful to admit while they sit chin high in debt) class is dying and everyone else is being painted as freeloaders and being made the patsy for our problems while big biz is carrying on as business as usual. That’s a recipe for disaster.

Last edited by swollenguy (2011-10-27 16:42:33)

^ Deep, well said!!!

Now it's plainly evident that he's got a lot more goin' on then just jokes.   smile

I agree, Swollen is definitely on a roll today.

You have to have a sense of humor or go a little nuts.

swollenguy wrote:

You have to have a sense of humor or go a little nuts.

Or, in your case, both!  lol

Replied to your PM, BTW.