Topic: A Small Crowd Of Children

Steve walked along the lonely path determinedly, he knew what he was going to do. He'd had enough, yet again life had kicked him in the balls or more precisely Katie had.It was not all her fault, she was another woman who couldn't understand him, how could she? Steve knew it was proberly nigh impossible to understand the complicated weavings of his heart and soul.He always ended up hurting people he loved and he didn't want to do that. He had done that enough.
He had it all planned in his mind, he walked this way everyday beside the railtrack. It was going to be messy but fuck it, he couldn't care less. he had tried, oh how he had tried to keep going but deep down he knew nobody gave a shit about him, their mouths spat out the lies but the eyes, the eyes gave them away.
He reached the crossing gates, the train would be along in about five minutes, the crossing was well out of the way, the train would be travelling at a good speed here, one Whoosh! and he would be gone. The Driver proberly wouldn't even know he had hit him. He would just suddenly step out on the track.
Steve noticed a sharp drop in the temperature, he did a few practise steps onto the track. He looked at his watch, three minutes to go, he felt no fear, he was filled with a sense of calm, his mind was focused on what he had to do, he was ready, ready for eternity. He looked across the track,and to his surprise a grimy looking boy no more than six years old stood there looking at him. " Where did he come from"? he thought to himself, he looked nervously to the side to see if an adult was with him. When he looked back there was a girl about nine or ten standing with the boy "What the..., this has buggered things up|", then all of a sudden three more children were there, two boys and an older boy about fourteen or fifteen years old. Steve stood there agape. He was about to say " what are you staring at"? when to his surprise he heard voices in his head, he could hear the small boy speaking to the older boy who must have been the leader of the group. " When's the train coming? i' m hungry, the man will go under the train won't he?"
"Be patient Billy we're all hungry" the older boy said, " yes he will, he is serious i can feel it, then we will feast". After he said this, the kids huddled together, with smiles on their faces, a smile of anticipation.Steve started to feel uneasy. " What the fuck's happening"?" who are these kids",what are they going to do fucking eat me"? The older boy lifted his head and looked straight at Steve with a look of surprise on his face. "He knows we're here, he is a special one". Steve could hear the train approaching but a feeling of confusion and dread was overtaking him.He stepped on the track automatically before he knew it. The elder boys look returned to normal " it's ok he's going to do it".
" No, no i'm not, i'm not letting you have me!"and he stepped off the line,  just as the train went hurtling by, and he was now on the side where the children stood.
The children had stepped back from him and they just stood there staring at him" oh , he didn't do it, no soul for us to eat, we are hungry". Steve felt a shiver of fear go through him but at the same time he felt relief and happiness. The children seemed to sense this and had a look of despair on their faces.Steve just felt more and more elated and grinned at them, then turned round and walked off, for some reason he felt like dancing away." I feel great" he thought as he walked back the way he'd come, it seemed so long ago and felt like a different person had walked this way, what, ten, fifteen minutes before.He looked back,there was only the older boy standing there now. " I owe them  because in a way they have changed my life, i now have hope, i'm going to make something of this life, thank you, thank you".He wanted to whistle and he did skip along a little, he felt so good " Bloody hell, i'm 29 years old but i feel like a kid".He reached the path by the river.He looked at the grass, the river, the sky, " i don't know what happened, i don't understand it,how am i going to explain it, but i don't care".
He passed two people sitting on a bench, a young man and a girl, both dressed in heavy goth like leather, they were talking and getting a bit agitated, Steve had walked about fifty yards away from them when he heard the man shout " you fucking bitch, i knew you'd let me down". Steve turned round and saw the man slap the girl's face hard twice, she screamed and was crying.Steve walked back" Hey there's no need for that, work things out".he was so elated he couldn't stop himself.the man turned to face Steve and he had a look of pure hate on his face"Who the fuck asked you, cunt".? "what's it to you, a do gooder are ya"? The girl also looked up " Yeah, piss off you fucking shithead".
Steve said " Look, i .....the man lunged forward and stuck a knife in between Steve's ribs " What do you think now, fuck head?that'll teach you to interfere won't it"?
Steve fell to the floor and the man kicked him " Fucking arsehole" he said. The girl stood up laughing , went over to Steve and spat on him"Fucker" she said and they walked off.
Steve lay there and looked out across the green fields and saw the small crowd of children coming towards him " Someone's dying, the soul, we can eat the soul!"The older boy said " yes,and the soul tastes so much sweeter when they don't expect death".
Steve let out a gasp and was enveloped in darkness, forever.

Last edited by wolfman1959 (2011-11-23 18:33:53)

Re: A Small Crowd Of Children

I love it!

Good stuff, wolfman. Do you write often?
Thanks for sharing!

Whoa! I didn't see that end coming!

This is pretty good, Wolfie. I saw it like a movie almost, good read. smile

Underdog wrote:

Good stuff, wolfman. Do you write often?
Thanks for sharing!

i do when the mood takes me  undies, i write the occasional short story , and poetry mostly bleak and depressing stuff, and angry stuff. i find that when i'm in one of my depressions i write as a kind of therapy and i have been known to write stuff and just do it right there and then it just flows out and i've no idea half the time what i'm writing! That is not the case with the stories, both this one and the other one i have put on here " The Birds they are always singing" have been around in my head for a few years, just never got round to writing them out. there is also a third one that has been in my head for years, and that is a little more elaborate and complex but may see the light of day on here at sometime ( oh no , goes up the loud shout! ) but not for a while yet, it needs more work and tidying up. Thanks for your kind words! smile

Last edited by wolfman1959 (2011-11-24 14:59:00)

swollenguy wrote:

I love it!

Thanks Sam ! high praise indeed from the master! wink

The Creature wrote:

Whoa! I didn't see that end coming!

This is pretty good, Wolfie. I saw it like a movie almost, good read. smile

thanks a lot Tylor! the cheque is in the post ! smile

Awesome story Wolfie smile

Very cool!

Wolfie I really liked your story !

DirtyGirl wrote:

Awesome story Wolfie smile

thanks Mary xx

Ghostseeker wrote:

Very cool!

thank you Ghostie  smile

MistressOf Horror wrote:

Wolfie I really liked your story !

Thank you Rachel! i really like you ! wink    xxx

sorry wolfy but//// thats way to much reading for one moment for this guy....  ha jk not lol

DemonToSome wrote:

sorry wolfy but//// thats way to much reading for one moment for this guy....  ha jk not lol

that's ok Trevor. no worries smile