Re: Walking Dead Season 2 Official Discussion Thread.

MARATHON TODAY leading up to the season finale.

I think Season 2 has been pretty great so far. True, the lost girl has been dragged on, but there's plenty more in the overall story, so I'm entertained.

Looking forward to the finale. smile

Tonight's episode was awesome!! Loved the ending. Shane's a prick and kind of reminds me of another t.v. character you love-to-hate: Larry Hagman as J.R. Ewing of the t.v. series Dallas. And poor ol' Rick again having to make the toughest choices of the group in the ending.

Gonna be tough waiting till Feb for the rest of the series to start up.

The mid season finale was incredible.  It was amazing.  I didn't even really like this show that much last year, and thought the finale last season was kinda boring.  The show totally changed for me this season, and it is now one of my favorite shows ever.  The episode tonight was so full of tension I was uncomfortable at times watching it.  It made me really "feel" it like very few shows have.  The ending...wow!  I totally did not see the very end coming even though it should have been fairly obvious.

I do not think Shane is as bad of a guy as most people probably do, and I really don't think he is that off base in a lotta ways.  If I was in this scenario, I think he may give the group a better chance of survival.   

Very excited about future episodes.

Last edited by Ghostseeker (2011-11-27 23:02:43)

Yup yup, loved tonight's mid-season finale.  Like you said, GS, lots of tension in this one.  And while I did see the final twist coming, it still packed an emotional whallop.

I also agree that Shane isn't that far off base.  For one, he's my favorite character on the show and has been since the very first season.  What he wants to do is perfectly logical and makes a lot of sense, it's just his motivation (his love for Lori and Carl) which is skewed.

One of the most tense scenes for me was Shane and Dale in the forest.  I thought for sure Shane was going to take Dale out, but I admired that Dale didn't back down from him even though he knows Shane could break him in half if he wanted.

Great episode and I'm totally psyched for the second half of the season to start.  I just hate that I have to wait 'til February. hmm

I agree with Shane on certain subjects, on the other hand I agree with Dale. I think he has lost some of his humanity...and part of me thinks he is a coward. I couldn't imagine leaving a child out there to fend for themselves, I would feel obligated to find her, dead or alive. But the difference is that Shane don't have kids, nor does he feel responsible for loosing the girl as Rick did. What Shane did to the guy earlier in the season was wrong also IMO, and cowardly. Then again, would he have made it out alive and been able to save the boy had he not done it? That's obviously the question the writers want us viewers asking ourselves...pretty clever.

^^^ That's what makes Shane my favorite character.  He's complex and conflicted; he's a hero one second, then the next he's a coward, or the next he's the villain.  But he's always at odds with himself, hates some of his own decisions but is adamant in others.  It makes him interesting -- in fact, while I think all the actors involved continue to do a bang-up job, I think Shane's character is the most interesting of all of them.

Last edited by LoudLon (2011-11-28 00:24:56)

LoudLon wrote:

What he wants to do is perfectly logical and makes a lot of sense, it's just his motivation (his love for Lori and Carl) which is skewed.

Yes...this is how I feel...well summed up.  In your last though, you wrote he is a hero, villain and coward.  I don't see him as a coward.  When did you?  Shooting Otis (sp?), while not necessarily right, to me was not cowardly...kinda the opposite really (IMO).  Was there somewhere else you saw him as a coward?

Chainsaw...good point too, that is exactly what they wanted, for us to question whether shooting Otis was somehow justified to save the kid. 

It's interesting to me that other people see Shane the way I do.  I mean, I do think he's a prick, just kinda agree with where he wants to go.  That said, I'm thinking he's about to get really bad for the rest of the episodes.

Lon, I'm also curious when you knew the part about the girl would happen.  Before the last episode?  I am surprised I didn't see that coming at all.

Last edited by Ghostseeker (2011-11-28 00:35:52)

Ghostseeker wrote:

Lon, I'm also curious when you knew the part about the girl would happen.  Before the last episode?  I am surprised I didn't see that coming at all.

SPOILER (left click and drag over the space below to read):

It just made sense to assume.  For one, Sophia's been missing since the first episode.  The writers wouldn't have dragged that out over the course of eight episodes if they didn't have a dramatic pay-off planned. 

Knowing tonight was the final ep before the mid-season break, it made sense to assume that particular pay-off would happen during tonight's ep. 

With Deryl and Sophia's mom so hopeful that they'd find Sophia alive, it made further sense to assume that with this being a horror show, they'd get the horror show version of that.  Yeah, they'd find her -- but she'd be a zombie.  I didn't know where they'd find her, though, until the episode when the group discover the barn full of zombies.  When I saw that, I was pretty sure I knew exactly where they'd end up finding her.  As it turns out, I was right. lol

EDIT:

Oh, to answer your other question about when Shane was a coward -- honestly, yes, I believe him dropping Otis the way he did was the act of a coward.  In that moment, I don't think Carl's welfare was his concern; his concern was saving his own ass and fuck the other guy.  I kept thinking of that joke about two guys attacked by a bear in the woods (I don't have to run faster than the bear, I just have to run faster than you!  lol )

So while it could be argued his cowardice was justified, my belief is that chicken-shit is chicken-shit, plain and simple. hmm

Last edited by LoudLon (2011-11-28 15:23:30)

We just see that Otis part differently...which is fine.  I think it may have been morally wrong, but I don't think he was a coward for that.  I think it took guts for him to do that, and I think it was more for the kid than for his own survival.  I think that at the time, it actually went against who he was, and that is why it wasn't cowardice to do it.  Either way...everyone sees things differently.

On the other note...I expected the girl to show up fine.  I never saw that coming, even though they basically gave it away (especially in the last episode if one hadn't figured it out before), but I didn't even consider it.  Nice job seing that one.  Wonder if everone saw that coming but me.  smile

Last edited by Ghostseeker (2011-11-28 02:14:19)

C'on everybody, let's face it.  Tonight has gone down as one of the all time greatest heart-tuggers in television history.

I just seen it (caught the late night show).

What happened about the "NO SPOILERS" rule agreed on this thread? i've just  read a major revelation in the mid season finale! don't forget guys, we in the U.K  are a week or two behind you. DOH!

Last edited by wolfman1959 (2011-11-28 14:51:24)

Shit, wolfie, I'm sorry man.  That fact totally slipped my mind.  I'll edit my post in case there are other Brits who've not read it yet. 

So sorry, man.  It won't happen again. smile

Cap Howdy wrote:

As we all know Season 2 Starts on Sunday.
What some of you might not know is that in the UK it doesn't start until the 21st.
So can we please keep all discussions and spoilers in this thread.
Seriously guys if spoilers start showing up in other threads it's going to really piss me off.
Just remember that for 6 days after you see the episode anything you post could be a spoiler for the Brits.

@wolfman1959 Sorry you got spoilered dude but this is the only place where spoilers are allowed.
We Brits enter at our own risk after it's aired on the Sunday for the Yanks.

LoudLon wrote:

Shit, wolfie, I'm sorry man.  That fact totally slipped my mind.  I'll edit my post in case there are other Brits who've not read it yet. 

So sorry, man.  It won't happen again. smile

it looks like i was the one who was wrong Lon! I thought it had said no spoilers allowed on this thread but the cap has just pointed out what the thread said, so it's me that should apologise to you! that's what i thought you'd say, that you'd take out the spoiler to stop anyone else seeing it and that is all you can do. don't worry, i know it wasn't intentional smile  i'll still watch, i'm sure there is a lot more beside that to the episode. we won't fall out over a t.v series so no worries !

Sorry you got spoiled Wolfie.  Yeah...my understanding was to keep these spoilers in this Thread.  Normally I am careful but here I was pretty free.

Shit...

Last edited by ChainSaW80 (2011-11-28 22:58:47)

SPOILERS IN MY POST BELOW

I was caught completely off-guard. During that last scene we were aware that there was a walker left in the barn because we were seeing a "walker's eye" view of the carnage that had just occurred. My thought was that we'd see the gang of shooters let their guard down (believing they had shot all the walkers) and then, suddenly, that one last walker would make a dash out of the barn and take a chunk out of one of the shooters.

When Sophia came out of the barn, I was completely taken by surprise. But I also immediately knew who would have to finish the job.

I'm glad I'm not the only one that didn't see that coming.  Thing is, even as she was walking out, I still didn't think of her.  Thought it woulda been that dude's wife or something.  Then when I saw it was a kid...still didn't know.  Was shocked.

I knew it was her as soon as I heard the slight hiss from the tv sound. Still sucks that it was her though. They played it well.

Underdog wrote:

Tonight's episode was awesome!! Loved the ending. Shane's a prick and kind of reminds me of another t.v. character you love-to-hate: Larry Hagman as J.R. Ewing of the t.v. series Dallas. And poor ol' Rick again having to make the toughest choices of the group in the ending.

Gonna be tough waiting till Feb for the rest of the series to start up.

J.R. in DALLAS.

Underdog for President.

Well now that the cat is out of the bag, I seem to recall that the surprise was alluded to in the sixth episode.  After Glen discovers that the barn was full of walkers, due to his attempt at a romantic interlude, in the scene from the following day, where one of Herschels people feeds a chicken to the walkers,  the camera lingers on the feeding frenzy on the ground, then focuses in on a shadow of one of the walkers before fading out.  Sophia was the first thing that came to mind.  So that brings up a question.  Did Herschel know all along that she was in the barn and use that fact to have Rick and the group stick around to  be his errand boys in between looking for Sophia?  Or was he trying to protect them from the heartbreak of finding out that she was dead?  I guess that we will find out more come February.

alien25 wrote:

Well now that the cat is out of the bag, I seem to recall that the surprise was alluded to in the sixth episode.  After Glen discovers that the barn was full of walkers, due to his attempt at a romantic interlude, in the scene from the following day, where one of Herschels people feeds a chicken to the walkers,  the camera lingers on the feeding frenzy on the ground, then focuses in on a shadow of one of the walkers before fading out.  Sophia was the first thing that came to mind.  So that brings up a question.  Did Herschel know all along that she was in the barn and use that fact to have Rick and the group stick around to  be his errand boys in between looking for Sophia?  Or was he trying to protect them from the heartbreak of finding out that she was dead?  I guess that we will find out more come February.

Exactly.

alien25 wrote:

Did Herschel know all along that she was in the barn

Was thinking about this.  I think he clearly knew.  One option for why he didn't say anything is because he was protecting Sophia.  Another is some is some righteous belief that he didn't need to say anything.

I assumed she was in the barn last week, but honestly i assumed the reveal was gonna be something more shocking, like they fed her to the walkers for chow, the only surprise was that she walked out, seemed to predictable.