Re: American Horror Story

True Blood is falling apart, IMO.  But then I've read the books and I prefer shows/movies to stay somewhat in the same realm as the source material.

Wasn't a fan of the 'Open House' epi, but haven't seen the latest episode.

Also behind on 'Grimm,' which is starting to remind me of 'Special Unit 2,' but with less comedy (loved that dwarf guy).

Not a bad time for horror/fantasy TV shows, though!  smile

can't get into this at all! started to watch 2nd episode on friday and fell asleep after about 15 mins and when woke up it was over. not often i do that so can't be that endured with it. like i said may be because it's on straight after "The Walking Dead"which i love.

Last edited by wolfman1959 (2011-11-21 19:12:31)

Don't know if anyone's interested but if you are, I've found the screenplay for the pilot episode:

http://www.zen134237.zen.co.uk/American … _Pilot.pdf

It is an ok show,  weird and campy at times and too predictable at others.  a few good laughs or twists in the story here and there, but its tries to be a bit too much like david lynch too often. over all it will do well im sure.

Finally, an episode that didn't irritate the piss out of me.  A couple bits I saw coming from a mile away, but at least some of the fractured back-stories were pieced together and some type of sense was made of the season so far.  More surprising, the episode worked despite Jessica Lange not appearing in it.

I hope future episodes can follow this one's example.

^ Yeah, I kinda felt that way a bit ago, as far a the episodes coming together.  Like all this random stuff wasn't random.  Thought this was the best episode so far and really gave the show some focus.  I think it's brilliant how they took this chaotic mess, and formed a direction to it.  Definitely curious to see where this goes.

Well, I knew going in that there was going to be a lot of back story but what made it so frustrating for me (aside from my usual bitch about the editing style) was that new characters kept showing up and having major effects on the plot, while no explanation for them were given.  I'm all about building up a mystery and not spelling everything out all at once, but at some point you have to start paying off those little details, even if only nominally, or you risk frustrating your viewer, and that's what happened with me.

But now, finally, it's starting to come together.  And I agree, this was the best episode yet, namely because it stopped trying so hard to be shocking -- though I still think they're trying too hard, especially when it comes to the two gay characters who come off as gross stereotypes, which is surprising considering one of the show's creators/writers is gay-- and actually allowed some of the previous six episodes' foreshadowing to pay off.

Last edited by LoudLon (2011-11-25 04:16:12)

giving up on this i think, third episode is on tonight , i fell asleep last week about  half way through and was unimpressed by first episode. as i've said before it may be because it follows " The Walking Dead" a series i do like, or it may be because people say that " Amercian Horror Story" is in the style of David Lynch who is another one i'm not very keen on. however if you enjoy the series. good.

Well, whaddaya know.  Two solid episodes in a row.  Maybe, finally, this show's getting into its groove.  Too bad it took over half the season to do so, IMO, but I guess better late than never.

Let's hope next week they pull a hat trick.

^  Yeah...this was a good one.  Very interesting.  How many more episodes this season?

That was episode nine, so four more. smile

^  Cool, thanks man.  smile

Last night's episode:  Wow.  Now that was a twist I did not see coming.

Three excellent episodes in a row.  Dare I say, this show has finally found its legs after over half a season's worth of overdone but empty shock tactics. 

I can now officially say I'm digging this show.

Im way behind on this, I have only seen the first 4 or 5 episodes I think. The last one I saw was the halloween episode part 1.

Yeah Lon...we disagree on the first episodes but totally agree on the last few.  Actually...I am still comprehending this latest twist.  I am wondering if it is as it seems and maybe there is a way out?  Either way I too did not see that coming.

What I'm wondering is how that twist is going to play into season 2 now that we're approaching the final episodes of this first season.

SPOILER ALERT (left click and drag over the space below if you want it ruined for you):

I'm wondering if Violet truly is dead or not.  While it certainly seems convincing, now that I've thought about it we know that the ghosts in the house, while capable of killing the living, are also capable of altering what the living see -- such as with Dylan McDermott having until recently always seen the old maid as a young hottie.  Maybe Tate wanted to tell Violet he's a ghost, but was afraid of how she'd react, so he's leading her to believe she's dead, too, so she'll stay?  Obviously none of us know the answer, but it's just a thought that popped into my head.

END SPOILER

Anyhoo, the season's winding up (only two episodes left) so I'm sure we'll find out soon enough.

Lon - That's exactly what I am wondering and what I meant by my previous post!  Weird to see you write that.  I just don't know if I believe that happened, and it opens up some questions as to how that could have happened and no one noticed (I am being intentionally vague to avoid spoils).  Anyway...I figured I was wrong, but reading you write that makes me wonder if there is something to my question.  Not that I am saying you have inside info, just the two of us separately having these questions. 

Either way, yes it makes the 2nd season interesting.

Loved that last episode! I sorta saw that comming, but damn was it still surprising to see. I am loving the hell outta this show.

I dig this show !  i like the fact that we dont know who is all dead  even though most are predictable ! its got  all the things that work ..the drama, sex, creepiness, and backstory
I admit its not the best--but its pretty darn good and I tune in every week to get more!! 

( I suspect the family is dead and the father will find out ala' Nicole Kidman in the The Others)

Ahhhh, another satisfying episode. 

SPOILERS (left click and drag below to read):

Okay, so, looks like Violet was really dead after all, and now Vivian's come to join her.  Glad that Violet was given the full low down on Tate and his murderous deeds; adds a whole new level of conflict to the fact that she's now stuck in a house for eternity with a certified homicidal maniac responsible for her own mother's death -- not to mention her mom being stuck right along with her.  Now I'm very curious to see what happens with Dylan McDermott; will he stay in the house?  Will he kill himself so he can join the rest of his family?  Will he say "Ah, fuck it" and leave to start a new life elsewhere?

END SPOILERS 

This is the kind of storytelling I like -- conflict upon conflict, difficulty upon difficulty and no easy answers given.  These last four episodes have more than made up for the hackneyed first half of the season I kept complaining about.

Wow...interesting.

Did think the * SPOILER * everyone wants to get her babies, but the gay guys really want the babies, so lets get rid of them with a spell but not worry bout the others - was lame.

Other than that, very good episode with a lotta twists.  Interested to see where this goes.  I hope there is some finality to the next episode, along with the open ended options to get us back for the next season which will no doubt be there.

I'm now 4 episodes behind.  Damn me and my doing productive things!  My DVR is now almost full from all the crap I've been to busy to watch.  I think I'll blow Saturday off and just catch up on everything.  Oh wait, Movie Night.  Maybe tomorrow then.

I figured Lon would eventually get into it, surprised Wolfy dropped out so early.  The best long-term shows always take a while to get started.  Haven took nearly the entire season until the pieces started to come together.  AHS has more backstory than an elephant's ass.  Kind of surprising these even last considering the "oh shiny" attention spans of many people nowadays (not here, general public).

LoudLon wrote:

Ahhhh, another satisfying episode. 

SPOILERS (left click and drag below to read):

Okay, so, looks like Violet was really dead after all, and now Vivian's come to join her.  Glad that Violet was given the full low down on Tate and his murderous deeds; adds a whole new level of conflict to the fact that she's now stuck in a house for eternity with a certified homicidal maniac responsible for her own mother's death -- not to mention her mom being stuck right along with her.  Now I'm very curious to see what happens with Dylan McDermott; will he stay in the house?  Will he kill himself so he can join the rest of his family?  Will he say "Ah, fuck it" and leave to start a new life elsewhere?

END SPOILERS 

This is the kind of storytelling I like -- conflict upon conflict, difficulty upon difficulty and no easy answers given.  These last four episodes have more than made up for the hackneyed first half of the season I kept complaining about.

Yes, great episode.  This has got to be the most depressing show on TV.  What will happen next year?
Is there going to be a new family that moves in?  How are they going to continue the series?

^ I know!  That is what I'm wondering.

Oh, my.  I did not see all that coming!
What the heck is coming up for the next season?  Jeebus, the show just went crazy on crazy guy.  Not fair for a 3 year old to out-funk the funky monkey!  sad