Topic: Does Any One Else Think That.....

With the news bulletins today about the discovery of a "Planet Earth Twin" in a planet named Kepler- 22b., and the recent amount of similar articles in the news, does anyone else think that our " authorities/ powers that be" are slowly preparing us for the fact that there is Intelligent life out there? That perhaps we are them, that they "colonised" us thousands of years ago or just that " Yes, we are not alone and we've known about it for years".

The world currently is in a mess, as it has been for a long time now, we need something to make us sit up and look at the larger scale of things, this could be it. Whether it would lead to good things or bad is a matter of debate. There are arguments for both sides. What are your opinions on this?

Last edited by wolfman1959 (2011-12-06 08:51:26)

Re: Does Any One Else Think That.....

I just saw that on MSN, but didn't have a chance to read it all. I will get back to this later though.

I don't believe that there is intelligent life "out there" We'd be hard pushed to prove the existence of intelligent life down here.

Oh, there has to be life out there somewhere.  I'm with Howdy on the 'intelligent' part, though.

I'm with you guys on the 'intelligent' part too... but I do think there is something out there thats is equal, below or above us in intelligence. I mean shit theres more stars out there than you can count so theres more out there for sure.

I'm a believer.

If we've managed to evolve this far.......surely out there, somewhere, something else has too.

But the question is..........WHAT?? wink

Oh sure, we've been around for billions of years, they just decided to never explore us. Sorry, I don't think

My Rant on the matter:

I think there’s other life out there. I also think its possible “powers that be” have proof. My only reservation isn’t a malevolent conspiracy, but the fact everyone else is so damn far away. When we hear it would take an advanced species to visit. I don’t think most people understand just how advanced. Most of the time when we see these planets or other interesting things outside our solar system we are actually seeing them in the past, because the light (the fastest thing in the universe) carrying their image took so long to get to us.

I have thought about but don’t believe colonization theory because I think it comes from (like a lot of religions it’s associated with) our ego which at its root is really an extension of our fear of death. That preservation part of our ego (for lack of a better word) is why I theorize we kill over religion and distance ourselves from the animal kingdom. But I ask anyone to imagine ourselves if we didn’t distant ourselves: if we didn’t use hygiene products of any nature, didn’t comb, cut or shave, if we didn’t defecate or have sex behind closed doors, didn’t bath or wear clothes, how elevated as species would we seem. If you need a visual find a nude beach and go there, against your better hopes you will find it populated by mostly 60+ year old men and one or two (not in the prime) gals, take a good look at the silverback prowling and then try to question Darwin. 

Now after that last part you probably think I am an atheist, I am not. But I think we have too much of a conflict of interest and lack of knowledge to really judge things. There might be a God, but I don’t think god would see time in the leaner way we do. Maybe Adam and Eve from the Old Testament (which Christians Jews and Muslims all follow) were some sort of primordial  ooze but the text was written in a way we could comprehend, and we were created in a divine image but not at a single point in time as we know it.

But I think it’s more likely that we are like a piece of bread left in the cupboard for too long: The right organic ingredients mixed with the right gasses and moisture content, plus the right temperatures and tah-da, life.

Last edited by swollenguy (2011-12-06 13:19:05)

I caught this info this morning as well.  But it seems the planet is likely completely covered with liquid ocean, which means if there is any form of life there, it probably has gills and smells suspiciously like unwashed vagina.

Heh.  Fish joke.  Anyhoo...

I'm hopeful that there is intelligent life out there besides us.  If it's possible for one planet to be hospitable to intelligent life, then surely somewhere else out there in this infinite universe it's completely feasible to believe there's another out there somewhere.

That said, I think it's just as feasible to think that science and religion can co-exist.  For instance, science dictates the the universe was born from the Big Bang.  But the Big Bang, by the very definition science gives us of it, is an effect.  And an effect cannot occur unless there is something to cause it.  Science can't prove anything existed before the Big Bang, but it also can't prove anything didn't exist.  So using simple logic you have to realize that a bomb doesn't explode lest you light the fuse first, so who struck the match?  See what I'm sayin'?

But I digress.  Another earth-like planet.  Cool.  If there is any intelligent life on it, it's a shame we'll all be loooooooooooong dead and gone before any kind of communication can be established.

LoudLon wrote:

I think it's just as feasible to think that science and religion can co-exist.  For instance, science dictates the the universe was born from the Big Bang.  But the Big Bang, by the very definition science gives us of it, is an effect.  And an effect cannot occur unless there is something to cause it.  Science can't prove anything existed before the Big Bang, but it also can't prove anything didn't exist.  So using simple logic you have to realize that a bomb doesn't explode lest you light the fuse first, so who struck the match?  See what I'm sayin'?

This should answer that one Lon wink It's a good read big_smile

What???  You expect me to read all that?

Quick.  Somebody Clift Notes it for me.

Cap Howdy wrote:

This should answer that one Lon wink It's a good read big_smile

That story reminds me of the movie “The Fountain”

Don’t really think it ties GOD and tech, it takes to many liberties/does little to explain the fusing of consciousness.

LoudLon wrote:

What???  You expect me to read all that?

Quick.  Somebody Clift Notes it for me.

A computer moves from earth to hyperspace at first with man, until trillions of years pass and man, knowledge of the universe and the computer become one. the universe dies and the new being reboots or starts it back up as new.

did i sum it up Cap?

Last edited by swollenguy (2011-12-06 14:29:18)

^^
More or less.

I would like to believe that there is, but I find it difficult to imagine if the powers that be knew about it, that they'd be able to somehow keep it from the public.  Afterall these are the knot-heads who can't even keep their own skeletons in the closet.

alien25 wrote:

I would like to believe that there is, .

Wait, I thought you were?

swollenguy wrote:
alien25 wrote:

I would like to believe that there is, .

Wait, I thought you were?

Sometimes I forget where I come from.  Besides, I never claimed to be intelligent. wink

Last edited by alien25 (2011-12-06 19:56:47)

I hope there isn't, otherwise we're gonna owe a helluva lot of apologies to all the supposedly butt-raped trailer parkers  lol

deadhorse13 wrote:

I hope there isn't, otherwise we're gonna owe a helluva lot of apologies to all the supposedly butt-raped trailer parkers  lol

I remember the first time I was anal probed by an alien, I tell ya the parking lot of Home Depot holds so many memories for me.

I firmly believe that there is intelligent life out there, IMO to think that we are the only intelligent life in a universe with billions of galaxies with trillions of stars and potentially even more planets is a little arrogant, the odds of these planets having intelligent life on them is astronomical, but it happened here, so why not else where.

We will probably never be able to communicate or visit with any life on these other planets as the distances are just too great and just get greater and greater as time passes, unless we or them learn how to open worm holes or some other exotic form of travel it's just never going to happen and for all we know these intelligent civilizations could have been wiped out millions of years ago by war, disease or even by their star exploding and wiping them all out, after all a black hole or a super nova is just a star collapsing or exploding and it would take any intelligent life with them.

swollenguy wrote:

My Rant on the matter:

But I think it’s more likely that we are like a piece of bread left in the cupboard for too long: The right organic ingredients mixed with the right gasses and moisture content, plus the right temperatures and tah-da, life.

Yeah but I believe a higher something got that kettle brewing. It didn't come from nothingness. There was always something somewhere!

LoudLon wrote:

That said, I think it's just as feasible to think that science and religion can co-exist.  For instance, science dictates the the universe was born from the Big Bang.  But the Big Bang, by the very definition science gives us of it, is an effect.  And an effect cannot occur unless there is something to cause it.  Science can't prove anything existed before the Big Bang, but it also can't prove anything didn't exist.  So using simple logic you have to realize that a bomb doesn't explode lest you light the fuse first, so who struck the match?  See what I'm sayin'?

I also think science and religion can co-exist. If they contradict each other than its just superstition.
And this big bang theory thing.... its only cause thats as far as our interstellar intelligence lies.
But what I believe is we a just a universe in a super universe but our technology can't see past that. The space out there has always been and always in a change. It never really began in a moment of time! Only our universe had a beginning ... but space is beyond our comprehension same as God is beyond our  comprehension. Just as a matter of fact I'm not a member of those organized religions people know about... I just believe in the one...

DemonToSome wrote:
swollenguy wrote:

My Rant on the matter:

Yeah but I believe a higher something got that kettle brewing. It didn't come from nothingness. There was always something somewhere!

LoudLon wrote:

I also think science and religion can co-exist. If they contradict each other than its just superstition.
And this big bang theory thing.... its only cause thats as far as our interstellar intelligence lies.
But what I believe is we a just a universe in a super universe but our technology can't see past that. The space out there has always been and always in a change. It never really began in a moment of time! Only our universe had a beginning ... but space is beyond our comprehension same as God is beyond our  comprehension. Just as a matter of fact I'm not a member of those organized religions people know about... I just believe in the one...

do you know Demon old boy, this isn't the first one you've written but it's one of the few posts of yours that i've understood entirely! Bally well done ! smile 
good show and all that! carry on sir!