Topic: TWO BIG STORMS to hit UK Next Week!

Two further storms will be making their way from the Atlantic towards the UK over the coming days, this as parts of Scotland recover from the widespead disruption brought by last Thursday's storm.

The Met Office have issued a yellow early warning for a period of very stormy weather next week, with severe gales or storm force winds expected to affect southern and western parts of the UK by Monday night and during Tuesday.

A quieter period of weather mid week will be a brief respite before a second storm sweeps in from the west on Thursday afternoon.

There is the potential for some severe disruption from both storms.

BBC Weather's Darren Bett has the details.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/features/16126512

Next Thursday storm looks even worse then the Storm that pass Scotland 2 days ago

"Quote "Councils across Scotland have announced many schools and other facilities have reopened on Friday in the wake of gale-force winds that battered the country on Thursday.

However, in some areas of the north and east, where severe weather was set to continue into Friday, schools  remained closed to pupils.

Thousands of schoolchildren were given the day off or sent home on Thursday at noon as winds of up to 80mph swept across western Scotland and the central belt.

In the Highlands, wind speeds were even higher with gusts of 165mph recorded at Cairn Gorm. The Met Office issued "red warnings" – its highest level of alert – in many regions of Scotland.

Travellers experienced severe disruptions, as the Forth, Tay, Skye and Erskine bridges were closed, roads and train lines were blocked by fallen trees and debris and both Glasgow and Edinburgh airports were forced to cancel flights.

In Strathclyde, police dealt with over 500 storm-related incidents, and at least 60,000 homes were left without power after lines were blown down in a number of regions.

There were 95 incidents on Scotland's road networks, mostly involving fallen trees. A Scottish Government spokesman said that 85% of these had been dealt with by 9pm on Thursday, and that work was under way to get all roads opened "as soon as possible".

More than 60 passengers were stranded on a train when the West Highland line was forced to close near Crianlarich. The passengers were picked up by a rescue train and taken to Glasgow.

ScotRail was operating a temporary timetable, while Network Rail trains were set a speed limit of 50mph.

Train operator East Coast advised customers not to travel north of Edinburgh and diversions were in place because the Tay Rail Bridge was closed.

Travel restrictions

Forecasters are warning that the severe weather will continue until 2am on Friday, affecting areas in the north of the country, mainly in Highland, Inverness, Moray and North Aberdeenshire. Travel restrictions remained in place in many areas late on Thursday evening and drivers are urged to check the Traffic Scotland website before setting off..

With conditions set to improve over Thursday night, most local authorities are set to reopen schools, libraries and other facilities on Friday.

However, many councils say decisions about whether to open schools would only be made once damage is assessed after the storm.

Parents are being advised to check their council websites, local radio and Twitter feeds for up-to-date information.

Highland Council said all schools and council operated pre-school provision in Caithness and on the north coast of Sutherland will be closed to pupils on Friday due to the expected severe weather conditions. Schools will remain open for any staff who can safely travel. All other schools in Highland will remain open and if there are any local issues decisions will be taken by head teachers.

Aberdeen City Council is warning motorists and pedestrians to take extra care if venturing out on Friday. The forecast is for air temperatures to drop to zero over Thursday night and to climb no higher than 1C on Friday. The road temperature will be considerably lower, and roads and footpaths are wet and are likely to ice over.

Gritting operations will continue, but there is a risk that salt will be washed off by rain, sleet and hail so motorists and pedestrians are advised to take extra care. There is also a possibility of some snowfall.

Flood warnings

The Scottish Environmental Protection Agency has eight flood warnings and 16 alerts in place on Thursday evening. Areas where flooding is expected include Caithness, Dumfries and Galloway and Tayside. Residents of Aberdeenshire, Argyll and Bute, Ayrshire and Arran, Central, Easter Ross and the Great Glen, Findhorn, Nairn, Moray and Speyside, Orkney, Shetland, Skye and Lochaber, West Central, Wester Ross and the Western Isles are also being told to be prepared for possible floods.

Meanwhile, Glasgow University has announced that exams that had to be cancelled on Thursday will be rescheduled for the week beginning January 9. The university will be open as normal on Friday.

On Thursday evening, Deputy First Minister Nicola Sturgeon said the Scottish Government's response to the weather had been appropriate, with the right action taken.

She said: "There has been no over-reaction. When you have the Met Office telling you that they have got the highest warning covering the central belt of the country, and the police telling you there is a probability - which turned out to be the reality - of a no-travel warning, then I think it is incumbent on Government to react appropriately to that.

"That's what we did. The decisions that have been taken have been right and appropriate."

She added: “While the worst of the weather has subsided across the central belt, other areas of the country are still experiencing severe conditions.

“Contractors are working hard to resolve remaining issues on our roads and with power supplies. I would urge all members of the public to continue to take care and heed advice from police and travel authorities.

“The situation across the country will be monitored overnight and the Resilience Committee will meet again at 8.30am tomorrow morning to assess the position.”

For more information on being ready for winter, visit the STV Health Centre, brought to you by NHS inform" "qoute"

http://news.stv.tv/scotland/286211-scho … mph-winds/

Monday storm will bring a least 75 mph wind with just  yellow warning for that, but thruday the looks of it will Red for most of England!

(I do think most of school will close a day early now for Xmas on 14 instead of 15/16)

I have Merry Windy Xmas lol from the teachers! will say lol

Re: TWO BIG STORMS to hit UK Next Week!

Wow, it looks like you folks across the pond are having some wacky weather, too.

Be safe everyone.

we don't get anything like other countries do.this country and the media here tend to make a big thing about the weather. yeah they do get it worse in the north and Scotland , and i'm lucky living in East Anglia which is the sheltered part of England. really we don't have it so bad weather wise here.

wolfman1959 wrote:

we don't get anything like other countries do.this country and the media here tend to make a big thing about the weather. yeah they do get it worse in the north and Scotland , and i'm lucky living in East Anglia which is the sheltered part of England. really we don't have it so bad weather wise here.

I live in the west midland and the look of that storms for Thursday looks really looks  bad for  the  midlands, that were I am, and I am on Hill and We will get broken fences next week, for sure,   

The Thursday storm was really bad for Scotland! , do you see the plane landing, that would have been really scary.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5Ssj-uY6dM

It's was good thing that all the school were closed, if they didn't a number of kids could have been in that bus! :0

Last edited by BASSI (2011-12-10 15:11:10)

oh shoot, i just report my own post, i meant to press edit!  DO'H lol

Last edited by BASSI (2011-12-10 15:21:01)

BASSI wrote:
wolfman1959 wrote:

I live in the west midland and the look of that storms for Thursday looks really looks  bad for  the  midlands, that were I am, and I am on Hill and We will get broken fences next week, for sure,   

The Thursday storm was really bad for Scotland! , do you see the plane landing, that would have been really scary.

It's was good thing that all the school were closed, if they didn't a number of kids could have been in that bus! :0

no i didn't  Bassi. never  watch the news,i watch very little t.v apart from " The Walking Dead". don't you think the press and the media make too much of the weather? it's eithier  too hot and dry, too cold and wet and the minute the snow falls the place comes to a halt.now they have started on the wind. most accidents on the roads are caused by people's carelessness and stupidity and disregard for others not the weather.it's made out that we are the only ones that suffer with weather, compared to many others we are not that bad.how many weather forecasts are wrong anyway? loads! nothing personal but it just gets on my nerves! weather is weather live with it and deal with it!  i hope the storm gives your  area a miss.

wolfman1959 wrote:
BASSI wrote:
wolfman1959 wrote:

no i didn't  Bassi. never  watch the news,i watch very little t.v apart from " The Walking Dead". don't you think the press and the media make too much of the weather? it's eithier  too hot and dry, too cold and wet and the minute the snow falls the place comes to a halt.now they have started on the wind. most accidents on the roads are caused by people's carelessness and stupidity and disregard for others not the weather.it's made out that we are the only ones that suffer with weather, compared to many others we are not that bad.how many weather forecasts are wrong anyway? loads! nothing personal but it just gets on my nerves! weather is weather live with it and deal with it!  i hope the storm gives your  area a miss.

Not really, i don't think they talk it about enough, i always want more smile , i love it , when the newspapers, talking about weather, I end up buying all papers feature about weather news, i still got the snow papers from 2009/2010 in bedroom, it also brought, The sun, the mirror, the daily express, Daily star, dailly Mail Yesterday because of Thursday storm .   

Where then no news about weather on papers, papers are rubbish and boring!   

I still got newspapers from heatwave from 2003! , I not just horror nut I am weather nut as well.

I love talking about weather second favorite thing I do, I would have love to guy is getting blow  away in the wind.

Last edited by BASSI (2011-12-10 15:35:22)

BASSI wrote:

oh shoot, i just report my own post, i meant to press edit!  DO'H lol

I was just about to say "Fix your own damn spelling!!!!" big_smile