Re: American Horror Story

I was a bit thrown by this final episode.  Namely in regard to...

SPOILERS (left click and drag below to read):

The three year jump ahead.  Basically it has the Harmons taking on the role of guardian angels, in a sense, as they decide their mission is to protect new families from the house by driving them out.  Then, all of a sudden, we jump ahead three years to Jessica Lange and the little boy.  Okay, she's been raising him all that time.  He's just killed his nanny.  Fine.  But what about the Harmons?

Is the next season going to show us what's been going on in the intermittent three years?  Is it going to continue the story of the house?  Or is the show now going to be about Jessica Lange and the little boy? 

For twelve episodes it's been about a family's struggles in a haunted house, and now what -- it's going to change directions and be about an old woman and a devil child now?  I hate to think I invested all this time in the plight of the Harmons, only for it to no longer be about them.

Obviously we don't know what next season is going to be about, but the sudden leap in time ahead and the seeming change of direction out of the blue didn't leave me so much curious for next season as worried for it.

Brass tacks: good episode with a satisfying resolution for the Harmons which would have also made an interesting teaser for next season -- their declaration as the defenders of the innocent.  It should have ended right there, IMO.  If they were going to include a jump ahead in time, they should have saved it for next season.  My two cents.

END SPOILER

Anyhoo...

Last edited by LoudLon (2011-12-22 08:39:15)

I loved episode but I hate the idea of having to wait until next season to see what happens next. Personally, I really like how they chose to end it and hoped that wasn't going to be something that got over looked after they took the time to mention it previously.

@Lon-
with spoiler-

I think what we're going to see is the family fighting against the stupid old bitty and the kid.  Maybe some backstories through the 3 years. 

But I'm just a monkey.

Last edited by azathoth (2011-12-22 12:31:58)

I have no idea what next season will bring.  There are some fairly big names in this, and I wouldn't be surprised to see some different faces / stories now. 

If not, I'm not as worried (prob not right word) as you are Lon about what you wrote above.  I could see that being a major part of next season, or really nothing to do with it.

Overall, I really liked this show.  I wasn't expecting that.  Cool season and ending.

As far as i have read, next season will be new house, new story, with maybe some season 1 people returning, possibly with new characters. The Harmons plight is over, unless something changes.

Needs more monkes!   It's fukings dk f cali, where the hw.fa re tthe fmonekeyss@!!!

Az...did you get possessed by Demon?

Well that ending was not what I was expecting...But I am looking forward to next season.

doc_notter wrote:

As far as i have read, next season will be new house, new story, with maybe some season 1 people returning, possibly with new characters. The Harmons plight is over, unless something changes.

Hey ya' know, come to think of it, that would be nice.  Each season there's a new storyline with new characters (stars) and so on.  Just as long as the show keeps the same level of intensity and creativity.  Yeah, if done well, that would be cool.

Also, as far as I'm concern, it doesn't have to always be about haunted houses either.

Black Sunlite wrote:

Also, as far as I'm concern, it doesn't have to always be about haunted houses either.

Sounds like it won't be.  There are supposed to be hints in the last three episodes about where the next one will be, but reportedly it won't be a house.

Guesses anyone?

Hospital?

Black Sunlite wrote:

If the final moments of the season finale are any indication, then apparently it's going to be about a different set of characters, and in a different location.

But this is my issue with it.  It's called American Horror Story, not American Horror Stories.  I hate to think I just spent three months getting to know the Harmon family and getting involved in their plight, only to never see them again. 

There are still a number of stories which can be told about them.  Maybe, and this is just off the top of my head, but maybe a family moves in who the Harmons take to and decide to protect them from the other ghosts.  Or maybe a murderer moves into the house and the Harmons take it upon themselves to torment the guy for his sins.  Or maybe  Jessica Lange gets a legitimate exorcist to clear the house, and the season is about the Harmons' struggle to keep from being driven out and protecting future families.

Shows which completely switch gears after one season rarely last.  Look at Millenium.  Or Twin Peaks.  Both shows had phenomenal first seasons, then fucked themselves up come season 2 by changing focus and even tones.  American Horror Story has the potential to be great horror television, and I'd hate to see them fuck it up.

Ghostseeker wrote:

Az...did you get possessed by Demon?

Sorry about that, the hydrocodone was in full effect.  Makes me wonky.

For the the next season, we'll see if they keep building on the established story or go elsewhere with it. 

Here's an idea I like- the "good" ghosts vs. the "bad" ghosts as new people try to occupy the house.

* SPOILER of season 2 *

^ That is what I was saying in my last though...it's going elsewhere.  No more Harmons.  No more house.  Different location.  Some of the cast may come back, but they are going to play different characters.  Sounds odd but I think it's a great idea.  I think they wrapped up season one very well.

Ghostseeker wrote:
Black Sunlite wrote:

Sounds like it won't be.  There are supposed to be hints in the last three episodes about where the next one will be, but reportedly it won't be a house.

Guesses anyone?

That tour guide bus thing?? haha

saw the season finale and gotta say it's one of the best horror shows I've seen so far with a good plot that flows ~~love it

It is the best horror show that I have ever seen. I really like the storyline and I enjoy it very much.

Watch South Park Episodes , Watch Bleach Episodes

Would anyone happen to know if a DVD release date was mentioned?
I know it's probably to soon to say.

might be a dumb qust but is it on hulu

Couldn't tell ya cause I'm Canadian and apparently it can only be viewed within the US

It's bit late now but series is being repeated on FX in UK!
It's on Wednesday nights now

So they mentioned where the new season was going to take place.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/04/1 … 36992.html

^^^ I don't like that idea.  I mentioned it earlier in this thread but to just abandon the characters after one season, after we've invested time and care into them, is just ridiculous.  I'm glad Lange will be back -- despite my many gripes about the first half of last season, hers was the performance which kept me interested enough to see the whole season through -- but playing a different character?

I smell series suicide.

It is weird that they would change the characters.
I figured they would at least keep it in the house.

^^^ That's what I was hoping for -- that they'd keep it in the house from the first season, and the original characters would be the ones doing the haunting now that they're ghosts, too.  I really liked Dylan McDermott's character during the last half of the season as he struggled to keep his family together, and as the season ended with him and his family dead but finally happy together...imagine Beetlejuice, minus the kooky design and played dead serious.  It could have been great horror television.