Topic: Suspiria's Top Ten Horror Films of 2011

Each year I usually do a pretty lenghty editorial on the subject but unfortunately I don't have time to write anymore. But anyways, here's a shortened version of my top ten horror films of 2011.

10. Wrong Turn 4 - it has a lot of flaws, but as a slasher fan I just couldn't leave it off the list. Old school slasher plot, tons of gore and plenty of T&A makes this one worth watching.

9. Sweatshop - technically not made in 2011 but it wasn't released onto dvd until 2011. This IMO is a must see for fans of 80's style slashers. Awesome setting, retro lighting and some fantastic practical gore effects. Not to mention one of the most awesome slasher villians in recent history. Easily one of the best horror releases of 2011.

8. Fright Night 2011 -  Is it as good as the original? Of course not, but I wasn't expecting it to be. Loved the setting, the characters and it was simply entertaining. If you haven't seen it I highly recommend it; just don't expect it to be anything like the original.

7. Scream 4 - A lot of horror fans didn't like it, but I felt like it was the best Scream film since the original. Don't get me wrong, it's no masterpiece, but it was clever and bloody enough to be a solid sequel.

6. Super 8  - I realize it's not a straight up horror film but it had enough elements to fit in the category. If you like films such as E.T., The Goonies and Cloverfield, Super 8 is a must see. It's a very well shot all around well made movie with engaging characters and some impressive special effects.

5. Rubber - Rubber is definitely one of those love it of hate type horror films; and I for one loved it. I've seen well over a thousand horror films and I must say I've never seen another quite like Rubber. Gory, hilarious and somehow entertaining, Rubber is IMO one of the best horror films of 2011. Throw all logic out the window and give it a watch if you haven't seen it yet.

4. Tucker & Dale vs. Evil - If you haven't seen this one by now you need to do so immediately. Funny, gory and one of the most original films I've seen in a while.

3. Troll Hunter - I finally got around to watcing this one a couple of weeks ago and I'm glad I finally did because it's friggin awesome. Even though I had heard nothing but great things about this film I was still skeptical going into my first viewing. A found footage type movie about trolls just didn't sound that great to me, but I ended up being blown away by it. It was original and entertaining and had some very impressive CGI effects.

2. I Saw the Devil - Out of all the horror films I've seen this year this one has my favorite plot. There are few things I like more than a good old fashioned revenge movie. Except I Saw the Devil puts a little twist on the revenge aspect.
I Saw the Devil is a well written and well shot brutal revenge film that is a must see for genre fans.

1. Hobo with a Shotgun - Wow. That's really all I have to say about this one. Hobo with a Shotgun is a perfect Grindhouse film blended with the elements from the Troma films that we all know and love. Way over the top gore, bizzare characters and a little bit of heart make Hobo with a Shotgun the best film of 2011.

Honorable mention -  Laid to Rest 2: Chromeskull

Biggest Disappointment of the year - Creature

Re: Suspiria's Top Ten Horror Films of 2011

i have only seen one of the films on your list and that's your number 1 " Hobo With A Shotgun" i must say i was very disapointed with it. it's ok but nowhere near as good a film as people have said it is. not in my view anyway and you are certainly entitled to yours Sus, and if you like it, good! smile

by the way i think you're being a bit harsh on creature, the boy has done his best this year! lol

Hobo with a Shotgun was AWESOME! Best movie of 2011 IMO

wolfman1959 wrote:

by the way i think you're being a bit harsh on creature, the boy has done his best this year! lol

Now that's a classic wolfyism.
Well played old boy. big_smile

thank you dear boy!  big_smile

cbean59630 wrote:

Hobo with a Shotgun was AWESOME! Best movie of 2011 IMO

glad you added the IMO smile    but fair enough.

Nice lil list, sus! The final four on your list are all good choices. I have yet to see Sweatshop.

Great list, Sus. Nice job putting it together.  It's just too bad I've only seen one movie from that list (Scream 4). I really need to see Hobo With a Shotgun...

I have watched every movie on the list except Sweatshop which i will look into it now as the rest of your list is spot on I might have placed Scream 4 a bit higher but i loved it haha

Nice list Sus! smile 
I have seen all of them, and as you know, I am a huge fan of Sweatshop too (liked it alot more than Hobo), so I would have to have it higher on my list.  Also not a huge fan of Rubber so not sure that it would make my list.

I like your list...I wasn't a huge fan of Rubber either but I gotta give it props for being different. The only one I haven't seen os sweatshop. I'll have to get on that!

I've seen all but 3 on the list, which I'm liking alot.

The Woman tops my list, but it still hasn't seen a legit release yet so I guess I'll have to give that one to 2012.  Chillerama was a shit-pot full of fun, it would make it on my list were I to compile one.

Suspiria_89 wrote:

Biggest Disappointment of the year - Creature

HEY! lol

Thanks for the feedback guys smile

The only ones on your list that I havent seen were Rubber and Hobo With A Shotgun

I totally agree with all your other choices.I liked all these movies,  Especially Fright Night, I Saw The Devil and Troll Hunter

Good list Sus, Your top four are exact same i would have put. I loved Hobo. Every line is hilarious. It is the most entertaining film i have ever seen.

Last edited by Vasquez (2012-01-04 19:21:13)

I've seen 7 of your top 10 and I agree with all of them. Maybe not in the same order but they pretty much would all make my top 10.

I feel the same on Scream 4. I can't believe people didn't enjoy it.

I loved Scream 4. I liked them all, but I thought 4 went right back to its roots, I thought it was great

I was wondering where Sus was lol. Hadn't seen you around much.

I haven't seen much on the list. I was very slack on horror in 2011.

Beautiful list, glad to see Wrong Turn 4 got some love, a lot of people gave it crap but I love that movie so much

I have only 3 movies of this list,  I wonder if mind change since?

Hey Sus whats up man? I hope your tryin to stay alive

but onto your picks, they may be good but I've only seen a few of those ones
looks like I need a horror fix with some goodies and cruise on down the line and try to miss the cops on my way eh?

Troll Hunter and Tucker and Dale vs Evil I was not impressed with.  Tucker and Dale vs Evil was more funny than anything.  Troll Hunter had some moments but was missing something.  Cabin in the Woods and Scream 4 are definitely my top 2 for 2011.  I also liked Fright Night quite a bit.

Last edited by ExplorerPOD (2012-09-24 12:41:18)

Grave Encounters is the best horror of 2011 imo.