Re: The Avengers (2012)

I am really excited to see The Avengers on the big screen, though that would mean Ironman will not be showing his solo movie when this one starts.  Out of the main characters, I really like Ironman, even though he is not at the level of standard as Batman, Spiderman and Superman.  Robert plays a great role at it and the character really suits him well.

And it will be such a treat for a fan to see all of them in action at the same time.

The third Iron Man flick is set for 2013 (as is Thor 2). wink

Very much looking forward to this flick.  Can't wait to see Mark Ruffalo's take on Banner/Hulk and to see all the heroes clashing (especially Thor/Cap and Cap/Iron Man).

Finally seen a trailer for: The Avengers. I'm more excited than ever now to see it.

There's a rumor buzzing around that either Peter Parker of Spider-Man will have a very small cameo in The Avengers.  I can't imagine that happening considering the character rights are owned by separate studios, but we'll see.

^^  Haven't heard that? That would be a pretty cool added bonus if so.

I hope Hulk gets some screen time, the lack of him in key trailer sceens scares me.

Anyone seen this yet ? Great movie. Certainly lives up to the hype. Every characters have their moments to shine.

was alright, hyped too much! i shall go out as thor for halloween this year.

Going to see it with my boys tomorrow. A few of the students at work watched it last night, and said it was really fun.

I was sent a DVD of this movie by the producers (god bless my benefits) and I've watched it three times in the last few weeks.  Such a good movie

Underdog wrote:

Going to see it with my boys tomorrow. A few of the students at work watched it last night, and said it was really fun.

i saw it yesterday and may i mention that you stay for 2 scenes after the credits and not just one. both are really good.

I've seen it a few times already.  Good, but not great.  Best superhero movie of all time?  Nah.  That would be The Dark Knight, Iron Man, Spider-Man 2, Superman: The Movie, or maybe Captain America.  It's enjoyable, sure, but I think Joss Whedon failed a bit at the story level; it kind of jumps right into things and doesn't really go for any kind of build up, and I was a touch disappointed with the alien army.  The commercial would have you believe the skies are packed with marauding aliens, but really you never see more than maybe a half dozen or so on the screen at any given time.

All that said -- Swollen, you'll be pleased in regards to the Hulk.  Mark Ruffalo is letter perfect as Bruce Banner (the best Banner since Bill Bixby back in the 70s) and the CGI Hulk is equally perfect in both design and execution.  He definitely steals every scene he's in.

I mentioned all this in the "last mainstream movie you watched thread" but figured what the hell, I'll go ahead and drop my thoughts here as well.  I'd go maybe 7 out of 10.

Just got back from watching it, and had a great time. My son really enjoyed it, which is what counts most. 2 of my daughters went with us and also liked it. As for me. Yea, it was good. As mentioned, the alien scenes were a tad disappointing and I thought Black Widow & Hawkeye could have been more pivotal. Other than that I have no qualms.

I thought the chemistry between the heroes worked well. Iron Man and Hulk (IMO) stole the show. The Hulk was especially  impressive. How they used his character and portrayed his personality was perfect There were some good lines, decent story, and action. 7/10

On a side not- I got to watch a preview of the up-coming Spider Man movie. Not sold on it just yet.

^ that's funny I thought black Widow was getting quite a bit of screen time Haha and she c
Helps close the portal too, but I agree Hawkeye had less of a pivotal role.
As for the new spider I agree I am not entirely sold, I like the old trilogy a lot, less so number 3 but even still it had venom! The only hint about this one really is that I love the Lizard as he villain and I do like Emma Stone. The new spiderman...eh, although Toby wasn't considered the best choice I I think I am going to prefer him over this new guy.

I saw it. Thought it was great, they do a great job of giving each character their screen time. They do a great job with each hero’s attributes too, which if not played right would make it hard to see the balance on the team.

When I was growing up in the 80’s and early 90’s the first superman and Tim B’s first Batman were it for supper hero movies everything else blew, being a comic geek with eight plastic tubs of comics (my wife puts up with) in my garage/storage, these are exciting times.

Also the infinity gantlet was a fave of mine so seeing Thanos gave me a little chub.

Lon - I agree not the best but really good, I really enjoyed it and you were right they did a great job with the Hulk! the part with Hulk and Loki was the best part in the movie IMO.

Last edited by swollenguy (2012-05-07 12:17:15)

I thought Joss Whedon did a great job with the Avengers and it was on point, though I am excited to see the deleted scenes from the movie as the studio cut about 30 minutes of film, so that might fix your problems with the film Lon. I gave it 8/10

^^
Gotta love how studios still cuts swaths out of movies even after the epic lengths of the LotR movies.  If it's good, we'll watch a long movie, damn it!  I'm so tired of the "ooh, shiny!" mentality that society has.

@Lon- I haven't seen the movie yet, so I don't know what you mean by the "jumping right in" comment.  Are you talking about establish backstory(ies)?  Or the establishing the bad guys?  Just wondering, don't give too much away.  smile

I like the jumping right in. I and I think most would consider Ironman one and two, the incredible hulk, and (more so then the rest) Thor to be the back story. 

I would give it a 8/10.

Azzie -- the story starts with a minor heads up about Loki and the Cosmic Cube, but doesn't say anything about where Loki's been since the end of Thor, then it jumps right to the Tesseract going crazy at SHIELD headquarters and Loki showing up.  It does touch upon some stuff about each hero before the main plot kicks in, but not nearly enough.  For instance when we first meet Captain America, there's no mention of what he's been up to since the end of CA:TFA, or how he's adjusting to the modern world.  You'd think he's spent all his time since being unthawed pounding away on a heavy bag in a boxing gym.  The guy's the leader of the team, but the film seems to favor Iron Man and Black Widow.  Thor shows up out of nowhere with very little explanation of how he was able to return to earth with the Bifrost bridge having been destroyed in the Thor movie, and next thing you know he and Iron Man are swapping blows.

I'm sure for the casual viewer it's a great flick, and I fully admit the effects work and action scenes are top-notch, especially the Hulk (the most realistic CGI creation to date, IMO), but for fans like me who've been waiting 30+ years for a movie featuring our favorite superhero team -- and having been written and directed by a guy who's just as big a comic dork as guys like me -- it's surprisingly uninvolving. hmm

Thanks Lon!

"If you see The Avengers, make sure to stay after the credits" -some tool from Entertainment Tonight. Damn right.

^^
After the main credits, or the full credits?  I stayed until after the main credits, but didn't stay for the 15 minute festival of 1,000 people after that.

I just got back from it, and it was awesome. Seeing all the characters react was awesome, and I can't wait for what else Marvel has in store. And yes Az, the main credits because it shows a villain. Can't say who, but to those who haven't seen it are gonna poop themselves because it was awesome!

^^
OK, I saw the villain guy.  You had me wondering if there was more of that after the full credits.  Sequel idea, ya think?

Finally went to see it last night.  It was great action movie and had good dialogue with all the characters.  My only beef with it was why was The Hulk out of control and trying to kill Black Widow one minute and then behaving as if he was in full control later.  That made no sense to me.  Maybe one of you comic book guys can explain it to me?