Topic: The Innkeepers

Looks cool. from the director of House of the devil

http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/1810166684/video/27135802

Re: The Innkeepers

I saw it!!!! Lovely movie

7,5/10

Think "Insidious" VS "Tucker & Dale"

Yup, I am a fan of Ti West, so definitely looking forward to seein this.

I've been interested in seeing this flick but am having trouble getting my hands on a copy.  I enjoyed House of the Devil quite a bit so naturally I'm keen on seeing West's follow-up.

Yep,  looking forward to it. Although I have heard mixed reviews, most of the bad ones say that its boring and nothing happens. Sounds a lot like House of the Devil where most of the action takes place near the end. Loved House of the Devil so im pretty stoked to see this one still.

yeah, it has a very slow simmer, but I enjoyed it.
As much as House of the Devil?  not quite, but it's still a recommendable watch

I loved both, I thought they were very atmospheric and were well worth the pay off

It's on demand with DirecTV right now, if it weren't 11 bucks i'd order it in a heartbeat, but it looks awesome so I think i'll do it anyways.

Got my hands on a copy and will probably be watching it tomorrow night.

Watched it, very disappointed. Sara Paxton is cute and a decent actor, but the whole movie lacked something. The scares aren't even real scares.

I really enjoyed it and think that it is on par with House of the Devil.  I might even like it a bit more because I felt connected to the characters.  It is a slow burn for sure, but it is driven by story, character and atmosphere rather than by gore, CGI and cheap scares.  I think it shows what great progress that Ti has made as a film maker from his film the Roost.

Just read an article about it in Rue Morgue, I'm sure it's worth checking out.

nothing happens in it through out the whole movie , and then !something happens , and then it finishes!!its really that good !!,,,, not

Last edited by thecarpenter666 (2012-01-18 15:33:07)

Well, I sat down to watch it last night and fell asleep halfway through.   I don't think I'm going to bother with checking out the rest.

As much as I loved House of the Devil, and as much as I can, and do, appreciate a filmmaker who takes the time to set up his characters and allow suspense to grow and build, he took a little bit too much time in this one -- enough at least to bore me, and I don't watch movies to be bored.  I like his directing style; that slow, deliberate approach with wide master shots and how he frames his shots.  Very Capenter-like.  But with this flick he really needed more stuff happening in the first act because the lead actress, while cute and a good enough actress, spends more time acting goofy and over-reacting to cheap jump/boo scares than drawing me in and making me invest in her.

For all I know the last half of this flick is boffo, but I'm not really interested in finding out.  As it stands, West is 1-for-2, IMO.

Watched it again last night, love this movie...not quite as good as The House of the Devil, but I liked it. 

Carpenter, if you were looking for Action packed CGI or bloody gory scenes you are not going to find them.  But if you want a movie that lets you get to know the characters slowly and build up some suspense before the scares than that is what you get.  I enjoyed the interaction between the two main characters the most, so to me lots happened.

dirtygirl , i was not looking for a gore fest or fast action movie, i had read reviews on this and it seemed like a great movie, i had watched the trailers and was intrigued by the simplicity of the movie, i can understand and appreciate that filmmakers take on the so called ghost movie, and charcter build up and tension , but the actual movie itself was indeed very boring, like i said before absolutely nothing happens,, and the conversations and compatability between the 2 leads is so lame, that guy was always in his hands on the computer , and that girl talk way to much like a drippy teenager , very dissapointing mainly because of all the hype surrounding this flick !

^I totally agree DG, it is precisely what I enjoyed about the movie.  For me, it didn't need to be stuffed with action throughout to be entertaining.
And Lon, you mention that Ti is 1 for 2, have you not seen Cabin Fever 2 or The Roost?  Though I don't know if you can count the former, since he asked that his name be removed from the film.

No, I haven't seen either Cabin Fever 2 (didn't care enough for the first one to bother with a sequel) or The Roost.  Though I'd have to assume that if West demaned his name be removed from it, it's likely not worth the effort. lol

Like I said, I loved House of the Devil because of the set-up, the deliberate pace and West's insistence on allowing horror and suspense to grow from the situation rather than forcing his character to comply with a routine "horror movies have to have a scare every ten minutes" approach. 

But I think where he fails in The Innkeepers is that he does adapt that "one scare every ten minutes" thing, but without giving us anything of interest in between.  It didn't help that the lead character was too goofy for her own good, that the male lead was bland as all get out and the chemistry between them felt forced and clumsy. 

I have no issues at all with West's directorial approach, but I do think he needs to brush up on his storytelling.  For instance, early in the film the lead female character goes to her room, lays down and kick off her shoes, only to go right back downstairs and say she can't sleep.  What purpose did that scene serve?  None.  You wouldn't miss it if it were gone and its omission would have improved the pace.  Worse still, he turns around and has the lead male character do the same thing -- go to bed, only to come back down after a few minutes claiming he couldn't sleep.

The movie has a running time of an hour and forty one minutes; I think it would have been better if it were ten or fifteen minutes shorter, which would have been an easy enough task to accomplish if West were to excise or shorten the dead air in-between scares.  Build up and suspense can only be established when the viewer is made to care about the characters and is kept interested in their plight -- but I didn't, and wasn't. hmm

^Well, I would say check out The Roost for sure, and if you get the real disc wink make sure that you check out his student film that is in the bonus features. 
As for Cabin Fever 2, it depends on who you ask.  Some people love it and think that it is better than the first, others not so much.  I thought it was okay but nothing special.  It definitely trumps the original as far as silliness and over the top action and grue.

Well, I decided to look up The Roost on wikipedia to see if there's any info as to why West would have his name removed, but wikipedia's got the black out thing going on today, so, so much for that. lol

But, if you say it's worth a look, I'll give it a go.  But if I end up not liking it, it's all on you. big_smile

^Sorry, should have been more clear, I was refering to Cabin Fever 2 Lon, that is the one that the producers finished and Ti asked to have his name removed from.

Getting this one..........wanna see it.

I should have wrote here when I watched this the other day.  I loved it.  The pacing was brilliant and it didn't take itself too seriously, it was good for a few cheap jumps at the beginning then stuff got much better as it went on.  Ti West understands character development better than half out there.  Loved the movie, if you can see it, check it out.

Just finished this and I thought it was excellent.  I don't mind a slow character build when I like the characters and find them interesting, which was the case here.  It reminded me of a found footage film in its slow build.  I liked the atmosphere, and that there was a feeling of isolation even though they were in an urban area.  Thought the acting was really good.

The ending got kinda hokey and was anti-climatic in a way, but not enough to take away from this great film.  This was a great entertaining movie with some eerie parts mixed in.  Loved it.

alien25 wrote:

^Sorry, should have been more clear, I was refering to Cabin Fever 2 Lon, that is the one that the producers finished and Ti asked to have his name removed from.

Ah, I see.  Yeah, no interest at all in Cabin Fever 2.  But I just took a sec to look around for word on The Roost and the reviews seem widely mixed.  I'll back-burner that one.