Re: POLL: Deadliest Horror Movie Warrior 2nd MONTH EXHIBITION MATCH

^^
I am also surprised it's not more popular.  You don't have to write up a detailed explanation.  You don't even have to write any explanation.  Huh.

How I'd break it down:

Otis & Baby are a team.  They may bicker among one another but when it comes to killing, they operate like a machine.  On their own, Baby uses manipulation and trickery to corner her prey, while Otis is bad-ass enough to take down two men with his bare hands, even after those men seem to have gained the upper hand.

Mickey and Mallory are scatter-shot; their killing frenzies are unplanned, not thought out.  They live and operate in the moment.  They're also co-dependent, and while both tough on their own, individually they're nowhere near as tough as they are together. 

Be it as a team or solo, Otis and Baby are too good at what they do.  They have no regret, no remorse, no conscience when it comes to anything but their family.  Mickey and Mallory are haunted people with personal demons they're constantly battling.  Those are distractions, and they're going up against a pair of ruthless, hardcore killers who are perfectly at ease with their sociopathy.

My take: Otis and Baby rip Mickey and Mallory to pieces, then just for kicks, cut off their faces and wear them.

Note to Swollen -- I wouldn't say Otis and Baby were taken down by a road block.  They chose to drive into it, guns blazing, and go out in a blaze of glory.  If they'd been so inclined, I think they could easily have gotten away or planned an attack that would have rid that roadblock of every cop on it.  Mickey and Mallory wouldn't have paused to even consider.  They would have attacked head on, and wouldn't have lasted two seconds.  That they survive in NBK is more to due with the machinations of writer Tarantino and director Stone than any actual, sound logic.  My two cents.

LoudLon wrote:

Note to Ghostie -- I wouldn't say Otis and Baby were taken down by a road block.

Hmmmm?  You know I didn't write that they were right?

I totally agree with your post.

Oops!  My bad.  That should have been "Note to Swollen."  I'll fix it. smile

LoudLon wrote:

Note to Ghostie -- I wouldn't say Otis and Baby were taken down by a road block.  They chose to drive into it, guns blazing, and go out in a blaze of glory.  If they'd been so inclined, I think they could easily have gotten away or planned an attack that would have rid that roadblock of every cop on it.  Mickey and Mallory wouldn't have paused to even consider.  They would have attacked head on, and wouldn't have lasted two seconds.  That they survive in NBK is more to due with the machinations of writer Tarantino and director Stone than any actual, sound logic.  My two cents.

Ok, I know we are both extremely attractive but how do you confuse me and ghostie!

As for Baby and Otis getting any props for going down in a blaze, I give them none. They were on that road already in piss poor shape from having their asses handed to em and the cops caught them by surprise.

I still say go and watch the scene were Mickey takes out a room of armed deputes in the prison and the scene were Malory takes down a veteran cop who has a hundred pounds on her. I think both scenes show them to be precognitive and technically proficient killers.

You can’t talk about “machinations of writer Tarantino and director Stone” without doing the same about Zombie. Two of my fav films but both House of 1000 and DR are filled with horror victim cliché’s were you say “Don’t do that dumb shit” about the victims choices on screen. 

We’re going to have to agree to disagree. I believe Otis and Baby are the darker written characters and in DR it makes them seem more realistic (not as realistic in House of…) and therefore scarier than M and M. but they are all fictional psychopaths. Just because Otis looks like he smells worst doesn’t make him more dangerous.

Waaaaaaaay back when I first announced I was going to be holding these matches I commented that I was going to be using the most popular incarnation of each character.  For instance, when most folks think of Ash, they think of Ash from Evil Dead 2, with the shotgun and chainsaw, so that's the version of the character who appears in these matches.  Obviously I can't make someone stick to JUST that version of the character; some people prefer the Ash from Army of Darkness.  But it was the ED2 version of the character I had in mind when I chose him for these fights, and it's the ED2 version who appears in them.

The same thing with, say, Chucky; most folks when they think of Chucky, they think of the first Child's Play, so that's the Chucky I use.  Not the one from Child's Play II or Bride of Chucky.  Some characters don't change much from one film to the next -- like Norman Bates, for example, so I didn't feel the need to settle on Norman from part 2 or Norman from the original.

Then there will be a character like Freddy, who started off scary as hell but became a joke over the course of his film series.  So I opted to stick with Freddy from the first two Elm Street flicks, before he started spouting lame one-liners and still had an element of genuine fear about him.

Then there will be a character like Jason, who almost always varies from movie to movie, so the best I can do for him is to go by the general conception of that character -- namely, a massive, deformed, hard-to-kill hillbilly.  Jason, when he appears in these fights, will not be the Jason from Friday part 6, 7, 8, or other subsequent Jason films.  He'll be the Jason from parts 2, 3 and 4 -- the ones before he became a zombie and went to New York or outer space.

Anyway, all that said, in the case of Otis and Baby, this match was posted before it occured to me that I hadn't been including which version of any characters I was using.  I would never use the Otis and Baby from HO1KC because I didn't like that movie very much; they were caricatures, not characters.  In TDR, however, Zombie fleshed them out, made them real.  And it was Otis and Baby from TDR who were appearing in this match.  But, again, I didn't remember to begin noting which film version of a character I was using until just a couple weeks ago.

Whew.  That's a lot of explaining LOL  I hope that clears things up a bit, but I'll perfectly understand if I've only managed to confuse anyone further. lol