Topic: This is going to get expensive!!!

Hammer will be releasing some classc films on Blu-ray...

"19 January 2012: In a landmark collaboration, Hammer today announced that STUDIOCANAL, Anolis Entertainment (Germany), Pinewood, illuminate Hollywood fka HTV and others are coming together to undertake a major restoration of the iconic Hammer film library. The project will bring over 30 movies into HD format for Blu-ray and new media exploitation in the 21st Century.

Dracula Prince of Darkness is the first title scheduled for release in the global restoration project and will be released in the UK in conjunction with STUDIOCANAL in March 2012. The partnership continues throughout the spring for the releases of The Reptile and The Plague of The Zombies, and will also include The Devil Rides Out, Rasputin the Mad Monk and The Mummy’s Shroud during the course of the year.

Hammer will also release definitive versions of its three hugely-influential original Gothic classics in the UK: The Curse of Frankenstein, Dracula and The Mummy.

As well as featuring a fully-restored HD picture and restored sound, the remastered films will boast a host of newly-filmed extras, including interviews with cast members. These documentary extras are being produced by Hammer expert and historian, Marcus Hearn – author of the recent “The Hammer Vault”.

Pinewood Studios carried out the restoration of the first three Studiocanal titles after housing the original negatives for the films, restoring the original UK title sequence to The Plague of The Zombies as well as the UK title cards to Dracula Prince of Darkness.

Recently-discovered footage that was originally cut from the British version of Dracula has been restored by Molinare to the BFI’s 2007 restoration courtesy of The National Film Center at The Museum of Modern Art, Tokyo. The Japanese footage features an extended and particularly gruesome death scene for Dracula, as well as a moment considered too erotic by the censors of the day.

Following the discovery and restoration of the Japanese footage to Dracula, Hammer is keen to unearth further “lost” scenes and on-set footage from The Curse of Frankenstein, The Mummy and other titles in their library, and hope that any private collectors with viable unseen elements will contact the company.

In addition, Hammer will regularly be posting to a “Restoration Blog”, which will give a unique insider’s view on the entire process, from material selection right the way through to release. The blog can be followed at: http://blog.hammerfilms.com

Other companies involved in the restoration project include Warner Bros. Motion Picture Imaging and Thought Equity Motion in the US and Cineimage and Deluxe 142 in the UK."

Re: This is going to get expensive!!!

Oh, but they will all make nice additions to your collection DG, well worth it! smile

I wonder what the 30 titles are.

I have some DVD's on my list to buy...but I'm broke.
Oh the joys of working 2 jobs and having no money tongue

Looks like they are going all out on these restorations!  I like it!

Yeah, so exciting.  Especially considering how rare they are on DVD even.  I am looking forward to seeing the extended version of Dracula.  I bet they will release them slowly...

An update from Hammer today:

Restoration work at Pinewood Studios on THE PLAGUE OF THE ZOMBIES and THE REPTILE (both films scanned and restored in 2k then mastered for Blu-ray; both films directed by arguably Hammer’s most underrated director, John Gilling) is now complete, and on May 7th StudioCanal release both features as double-play Blu-ray/DVD editions, enabling fans, at long last, to be able to watch two of Hammer’s finest films in glorious HD, and in the original aspect ratio of 1.66:1. Both releases feature brand new half-hour documentaries directed by official Hammer historian Marcus Hearn, featuring interviews with original cast and crew, critic Jonathan Rigby, broadcaster Mark Gatiss, as well as experts on Bray studios (Wayne Kinsey) and Hammer’s music (Professor David Huckvale).

Last edited by DirtyGirl (2012-01-28 11:03:03)

I wonder if they'll do a box set once all the films are done?  That would be a glorious acquisition.

Before I get excited, I really want to know how the North American  distribution will work...or even IF it will work.

These UK releases will almost certainly be Region B locked.

Over here, just about every major studio had rights to a Hammer film at one time or another. Things might not be pretty on this side of the pond. I can foresee a situation in which some films get released and not others.

There are still many unanswered questions.

I have yet to come across a Blu-Ray that was actually region locked, so I'm not too worried.

azathoth wrote:

I have yet to come across a Blu-Ray that was actually region locked, so I'm not too worried.

I'm stunned.

QUATERMASS AND THE PIT is just one of many Region B locked Blu-rays.

Oh and Criterion locks most of it's titles Region A.

Last edited by Dex Robinson (2012-01-28 15:04:13)

^^
Hmm, interesting.  I guess I have just been lucky in my purchases.  I just went and looked at some of Criterion's Blu-rays, and Amazon has them listed as Region 1 (DVD regions), so it leaves me to wonder what the heck they are actually classified as.

Back to the point, it would seem silly if they limited these new releases just to Britain.  (And speaking of which, why is Britain in a different region from the US/Canada?  It practically a colony of ours!  lol  But seriously, almost all movies are released at the same time between the continents now... ) 

Something just hit me- I was reading a bit back that the discs might be region locked, but not a whole lot of Blu-ray players actually enforce it.  Maybe that's what is happening (at least for me)? 

Hell, I don't know.  I wanna watch movies.  Gimme movies.  None of this studio bullshit.

azathoth wrote:

^^
Hmm, interesting.  I guess I have just been lucky in my purchases.  I just went and looked at some of Criterion's Blu-rays, and Amazon has them listed as Region 1 (DVD regions), so it leaves me to wonder what the heck they are actually classified as.

Back to the point, it would seem silly if they limited these new releases just to Britain.

Well, Criterion DVDs would be Region 1 locked because North America is Region for DVDs. And that's why most of the DVDs on amazon are Region 1. But most UK DVD players can actually handle North American DVDs (unfortunately, it rarely works the other way).

North America is Blu-ray Region A. The Region system is a bit different for BD.

The problem is that the rights to these movies in North America is held by different companies. Warner own a lot. Paramount owns a few. MGM used to own a few.

Warner, Paramount and MGM aren't going to release a boxed set of anything. Warner may or may not decide to release some of these. Paramount might...or they could license them out as they do with many Blu-rays. We don't know.

Until we do know, I'll temper my enthusiasm.

BTW...not to sound totally devoid of a sense of humour but...

When talking to people about Region Codes, it helps if we know where  we live. That's why I carefully fill out my "From" portion of my personal info.

I'm not sure what region you guys are from when I see Land of CheeseSteaks or Zombieland.

Are you European?

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA is known to be the birthplace of Cheesesteaks.  Commonly known in North America, lesser so in Europe, it seems.  Most of my correspondence over the pond has been with people I've dealt with for years now, so I apologize for not having my area better labeled.  But now you know!  smile

The BR regioning is better, but still dumb.  As for the studios and their various claims on the different films, who knows.  I'll just go with an optimistic attitude for now.  I was grumpy enough yesterday for 2 weeks worth of grump.

Zombieland would be Ontario, Canada.  I think it is too early to think they will only be released for UK only.  We will have to wait and see what is available.  Or figure how to get my hands on a region free blu ray player smile

I've asked Hammer whether you continental types will get the movies and if there will be a box set.
I'll let you know what they say smile

They do follow me on twitter after all wink

LOL...Great minds think alike Cap smile

The Captain with the connections!  Nice.

Hammer got back to me.
It's not great news for you continentals but it's not terrible.

Hammer films wrote:

@Cap_howdy Plan is release most, if not all restored films RgnA Blu-ray in US in due course. Hoping to confirm US distrib. partner soon...

Cap Howdy wrote:

Hammer got back to me.
It's not great news for you continentals but it's not terrible.

Hammer films wrote:

@Cap_howdy Plan is release most, if not all restored films RgnA Blu-ray in US in due course. Hoping to confirm US distrib. partner soon...

Nice smile

I assume that these will be Studio Canal releases in the UK. One announcment is already up:

"StudioCanal have announced the UK Double Play release of Dracula - Prince of Darkness on 5th March 2012. This horror classic starring Christopher Lee and Barbara Shelley is the first title in a new joint restoration project between StudioCanal and Hammer Films which aims to restore and release some of Hammer's most iconic horror titles on DVD and Blu-ray. "

Here's the problem: these may all be Studio Canal releases in the UK since Studio Canal seems to be a driving force behind the project. Problem solved...in the U.K. But. in North America, the ownership may be divided among various studios. As I mentioned earlier, I know that a lot of Hammer stuff was handled here by Warner Brothers but some of it was owned by Paramount.

For example, there is actually is an old Hammer movie on Blu in North America. Paramount licensed THE MAN WHO CHEAT DEATH (1959) to Legend Films for Blu-ray release. The back cover says: "Paramount Pictures presents a Hammer Production...". Paramount licenses a lot of their "lesser" titles to smaller companies for Blu-ray release.

Warner has been very tight with old genre film on Blu-ray. They are ignoring most of it on BD and increasing using Manufactured on Demand for classic genre DVDs.

I'm not suggesting that these WON'T see Blu-ray release here. I'm just pointing out that the deal in the UK is already done...but we don't have any deal here yet.

Why not just rent---wait until they hit Wal-Mart's $5 bin------steal a few?  More money for drugs and prostitutes.