Re: Best Movie In a Series

I'm sure I will do at some point smile My to watch list is growing quicker than I can keep up, Halloween has been on it for ages and every halloween I say, I'll watch it! And never get round to it!

I don't think you'd be disappointed with the ones you have yet to see smile

On a related note, how about best segment of a Horror anthology? Some picks for me would be:

Creepshow - The Crate

Creepshow 2 - The Hitchhiker

Tales From The Hood - Hardcore Convert

Tales From The Darkside: The Movie - Lot 249

Trying to think of more series to add to the list. Romero's Living Dead series and Return Of The Living Dead both come to mind as good new additions.

I Thought I posted om this

Friday The 13th - Friday 13th Part 3
Halloween - Original.
A Nightmare On Elm Street - Elm Street 3
Saw -   Original.
Scream - Original.
The Texas Chainsaw Massacre- Original./Remake
Alien - Aliens
Predator-  (Need to re-watch)
Phantasm - Yet to see
Evil Dead - Original.
Hellraiser- Hellraiser 1/2
Child's Play- Child''s Play 3
Final Destination - Final Destination 2

Others
Amityville -     Amityville part 2
Dead Series - Dawn of the Dead
Children of the Corn- Children of the Corn Part 3
Critters-Critters
Omen - Original.
The Eye -Original.
Ju-on Series- Ju-on-The Grudge
Sleepaway Camp - Original.
Ringu- Original.
Scanners - Original.
Scary Movie- Scary movie 3
The Butterfly Effect - Original.
The Hills Have Eyes - Remake
Tremors -Original
Urban Legends- Original
Wrong Turn - Wrong Turn 2
Also Forgot
Basket Case- Original
Boogeyman - Boogeyman 2
Paranormal Activity -Original

I can not think of anything else

Jigsaw wrote:

On a related note, how about best segment of a Horror anthology? Some picks for me would be:

Creepshow - The Crate

I have yet to see it but there Campfire Tales (1997)

BASSI wrote:

I Thought I posted om this
Others
Amityville -     Amityville part 2
Dead Series - Dawn of the Dead
Children of the Corn- Children of the Corn Part 3
Critters-Critters
Omen - Original.
The Eye -Original.
Ju-on Series- Ju-on-The Grudge
Sleepaway Camp - Original.
Ringu- Original.
Scanners - Original.
Scary Movie- Scary movie 3
The Butterfly Effect - Original.
The Hills Have Eyes - Remake
Tremors -Original
Urban Legends- Original
Wrong Turn - Wrong Turn 2
Also Forgot
Basket Case- Original
Boogeyman - Boogeyman 2
Paranormal Activity -Original

I can not think of anything else

Those are some good ones you added.

Jigsaw wrote:

Creepshow - The Crate

Forgot about Cat's Eyes with anthologies. General is definitely my favorite from that movie.

Friday The 13th:  The Final Chapter, as it's the most 80s of the series.  I mean, it's got Feldman and Crispin, for crying out loud!

Halloween:  The original... TOTALLY!

A Nightmare On Elm Street :  Part 3 - The Dream Warriors, as I feel this is where Freddy's personality really came out.  Plus, it's got the best set pieces and FX of the series IMO.  Patricia Arquette is pretty cute in it and you just can't beat flippin' DOKKEN playing the theme song!

Saw:  Do not care for this series at all, but if I have to pick, it'd be the original.  That's pretty much it.

Scream:  The original fer sure.  It's a fun flick (and series) that reinvigorated the slasher genre at a time when the genre was lagging.   

The Texas Chainsaw Massacre:  Original.  Still frays my nerves to watch it.  Still one of the rawest, most visceral horror films ever made despite the lack of on screen gore.   

Alien:  Aliens.  The archetypal 80s sequel:  big balls, big guns, big action, more of everything.  Kick... ASS!

Predator:  2.  Love the original, but I've grown fond of the sequel over the years, due to the city setting and how it expanded on the hunters' mythology.

Phantasm:  2.  Like Aliens, it eschews suspense in favor of gratuitous machismo.   

Evil Dead:  2.  LOVE the original like it's my own child, but this is the one that spawned the most (IMO) iconic ED imagery and made Bruce a cult hero.  It wastes no time in blowing your hair back.

Hellraiser:  Original.  A truly scary, lurid, dangerous feeling piece of mainstream horror film making.

Child's Play:  Bride of Chucky.  The original is just another killer doll movie for me.  This one takes the concept deliriously over the top.

Final Destination:  Not a fan of this series either, BUT I like the original, as it was certainly was an original and a good horror film.  The sequels are all about the kill scenes and not much else.

I'll add -

Leprechaun (seriously):  Not really a fan of this franchise either, BUT I kinda dig the original because it's pretty funny to see Jennifer Aniston in this early role.

Candyman:  The original.  What a great, spooky urban legend come to nightmarish life thanks to Clive Barker's twisted imagination, the great Tony Todd, and Phillip Glass's creepy score.

Urban Legend:  Original.  Fun 90s slasher.  Both sequels blew.

I Know What You Did... : Original.  Another fun post Scream 90s slasher.  It's not Cherry Falls, but hey, it's got JLH's boobs.  The sequel was standard with Jack Black in it.  The 3rd moved into F13 territory... but, not in a good way.

Return of the Living Dead:  Original.  One of the best zombie movies ever.  I like 2 & 3, but SO WISH 4 & 5 did not exist!

Romero's ... of the Dead series:  Day.  Bleak, brutal, gory, and intense.  Holds up the best out of all the films in the series.  Not a fan of anything after Land.  That sucks, doesn't it?

Prom Night:  2 - Hello, Mary Lou.  The original is a lacklustre slasher, but 2 is a totally awesome blend of Carries & ANOES.  Fun flick.  Revisit it sometime.  I like 3 as well.  Never seen 4.

Children of the Corn:  Original.  More of a fan of the cast than the film itself.  Parts 2-5 have their moments for bad DTV slashers.

Night of the Demons:  2.  Love the original, but it takes a while to take off.  2 ramps up the pace, gore, n' goo, PLUS it's got a young Christine Taylor looking mighty fine.

Re-animator:  Original.  Still one of the wildest splatstick horrors of all time.  Bride gets better with age, and Beyond is surprisingly fun for all it's flaws.  Good series overall.  Wish they'd do another.

Maniac Cop:  Original.  It's a pretty decent action-oriented horror.  Part 2 isn't bad and 3 is watchable.

How's that for adding more series to the list?

Ooh.  Bassi's got some good ones I didn't add.  I'll add to them later.

Those are some good ones you added, Maxwell.

I don't think I mentioned Paranormal Activity before. I enjoyed the original the best of the series so far.

Jigsaw wrote:

I don't think I mentioned Paranormal Activity before. I enjoyed the original the best of the series so far.

I like the original, thought the sequel was just OK, but I actually saw Part 3 in the theater and it really worked well with an audience.  Part 3 seemed to be the more entertaining of the series so far, as far as hitting all the right notes.

Friday The 13th - Gotta go with The Final Chapter just barely over the original here.  If I could keep just one Friday the 13th movie, it would HAVE to be one with Jason killing in the hockey mask.  The Final Chapter also has a very young Corey Feldman, and his sister is HOT as hell.  It also has Crispin Glover as one of the main characters.  Not bad casting at all for a mid series Friday the 13th movie that most non horror fans have not seen,

Halloween - Original.  2 is definitely the second best, but the original just has it all.  Jamie Lee Curtis smokin joins with "The Reaper" playing on the radio.  Craven continues to play on that song using the acoustic version in Scream when Billy climbs through Sidney's window for the first time.  Also in Scream 4 one of the fine ass girls says something like "She fear's the reaper" haha.  Wouldn't be surprised if it is an ongoing joke that dates all the way back to Halloween.  I'm sure Craven is friends if not a fan of Carp's work and vice versa.

A Nightmare On Elm Street - Original.  Introducing Johnny Depp.  I love the atmosphere of that movie so much I wish I could live on Elm St for one night fighting off Freddy.  Craven's direction is seriously top notch here.  Love the way his movies look.

Saw - Fuck that whole franchise but the first is obviously the only one worth a damn.

Scream - Gotta go with the original.  Easily my favorite horror movie of the 90s and just about my favorite horror movie of all time.  I see a ton of similarities in this movie and Nightmare on Elm St every time I watch it.  Attractive teens fighting a killer.  Glenn climbing through nancy's window in NOES always reminds me of Billy in Scream.  Love the feeling of a killer on a loose in a small town like Woodsboro.  One of the most fun horror movies ever..

The Texas Chainsaw Massacre - Original.  Tobe Hooper set the standard with the original and it is one of the most frightening pieces of film that will ever be directed.  Watched it closely for the first time like a half year ago and almost shit myself on the scenes where he hung the people on the hooks.  The best part is you don't even actually see the hook hitting the spine.  You sure as hell feel it, though.  The second is an 80s fest and a nice little sequel.

Alien - I am a fan of the original here but I really like Aliens as well.  The original scares me more than any movie ever.  Prometheus was fucking awesome though I know it isn't part of the series technically.

Predator OG.  Arnold.  Great 80s action/horror.

Phantasm - Original.  Watched it for the first time a few months back and everything from the music to the Tallman kicked my ass.  Every seen with the Tallman in the original is fucking classic.

Evil Dead - Gotta go with Evil Dead 2 here.  Love the first almost as much, but most the time I am looking to have a little more fun with the second.  I kind of go back and forth with this one.

Hellraiser - Only seen the first, and thought it was pretty darn good.  Didn't blow me away though.

Child's Play - Pretty much enjoy all 4 of these movies but the first is EASILY the best.  Tom Holland.  Chicago.  Basically all takes place in an apartment.  Almost plays like a really long, really good episode of Tales From the Crypt, but better...

Final Destination - The first is OK.  Back in the day before I had hundreds of great dvds I MIGHT have watched this if it was on USA some random night, but not a huge fan of these movies at all.

Last edited by PrinceofDarkness (2012-07-29 20:31:39)

and damn....I really have got to see Prom Night 2

PrinceofDarkness wrote:

and damn....I really have got to see Prom Night 2

Prom Night 2 is good for fans of ultra 80s cheese (like me).

You'd do well to check out Hellraiser 2: Hellbound.  No one will blame you if you don't check out the rest, although I like and own the the last 2 theatrical releases 3: Hell on Earth & 4: Bloodlines.  I like most of the DTV entries except for Hellworld (8, I believe).

Maxwell wrote:

I like the original, thought the sequel was just OK, but I actually saw Part 3 in the theater and it really worked well with an audience.  Part 3 seemed to be the more entertaining of the series so far, as far as hitting all the right notes.

I thought all three were solid films. I saw the third in theaters as well, definitely an enjoyable experience.

PrinceofDarkness wrote:

Alien - I am a fan of the original here but I really like Aliens as well.  The original scares me more than any movie ever.  Prometheus was fucking awesome though I know it isn't part of the series technically.

I think Prometheus can count since it pretty much is officially part of the canon.

UltraViolence wrote:

I'm sure I will do at some point smile My to watch list is growing quicker than I can keep up, Halloween has been on it for ages and every halloween I say, I'll watch it! And never get round to it!

Make this year the year.  If your'e a fan of Rob Zombie's Halloween films (personally, I despise them), you may find it tame, but the 1978 original is widely regarded as an atmospheric masterpiece of suspense.  It's all about shadows, mood, & a steadily building sense of doom as we move nearer to the big night.  Just my opinion, but Halloween should be near the top of every fledgling horror fan's must see list.

Halloween - I have only watched the first. Awesome film.
Friday the 13th - Part 4 - I enjoyed part 4 immensely more than the other films in the franchise that i have seen. The kills and the girls were great. Just generally more entertaining than the previous entries.
TCM - Original. Critical to startin my obsession with horror.
Alien - Aliens
Evil Dead - Original (Though upon rewatching 2 this could change)
Predator - Predator 1
Saw - Saw 1
NOES - Original
Childs Play - Original
Scream -  Scream 4
ROLD - Original. Very fun, in fact id say this is my favourite horror comedy ever.
Romero's original Trilogy - Day, for every reason Maxwell said
Maniac Cop - Only seen the original. Decent movie but not anything great.

Ill add

Jaws - Original  for me. I love Robert Shaw's character. The sequels just seemed to copy the same situation to much, either almost to a tee or very similar and therefore were inevitability too ineffective as a result. The reason why Aliens and other are so great sequels are because they are their own vision while still respecting the original film.

28 Days/Weeks later - Original, though Weeks is a very impressive sequel and holds up against the original respectively.

Rec - Original.  Some of the actions of the SWAT team and other characters in the 2nd film just annoyed me.

Resident evil - Original. Not the greatest movie but a decent one among a very average bunch.

Psycho - Original, again the only 1 ive seen but id be interested to check out the sequels as aza and a few others have stated before on the forums they are worth checking out.

Yea Psycho 2 of course is directed by Tom Holland...

^^^ Holland wrote it.  Richard Franklin directed it. wink

Good call on Jaws, Vasquez.

Ill also add all the old classic series. I have only seen the originals of the Universal franchises but u guys share ur opinions.

Universal - Frankenstein

Universal - Wolfman

Universal - Invisible Man

Hammer - Dracula/Vampire

Hammer - Frankenstein

Last edited by Vasquez (2012-08-08 16:05:05)

Nice additions with the Universal and Hammer line-ups, too.