Topic: Phantasm II

Does anyone else agree this movie is the best of the Phantasm series? It's my personal favorite Horror series and while I love all four of them, I think 2 is easily the best. It's just like how Aliens compares with the first Alien movie, it's a wild and inventive action ride in the same universe of the original movie. I've seen this movie countless times and it's always manages to be incredibly entertaining and rewatchable. It's probably my favorite Horror movie ever and I've seen tons of them.

Who else agrees it's the best of the series?

Re: Phantasm II

I think number two is clearly the best of the first two.  Haven't seen the other two, but guessing two is better than those as well.  Two came out when I was coming into my own as a horror fan, was getting a bit older (still a kid, not even teen yet), and was getting more control of what I saw.

Phantasm Two had a bunch of write ups in Fangoria and Gorezone at the time, so got to read some behind the scenes things you used to get from magazines (no internet, or at least not popular)...so, what I'm saying is this is another movie that I feel nostalgic about.

So yeah Jigsaw...I agree.  smile

3 and 4 are cool movies too, but for me 2 is the cream of the crop. The first two I think are both equally great, but 2 stands out more for it's creativity and excitement for me. I still have very fond memories of watching it virtually everyday when I got it on VHS along with the original back for my 13th birthday. Watched them both religiously but especially would watch 2 very often.

Phantasm 2 is by far the superior film in the series.
#1 set the scene, but it just wasn't great.
#3 got silly.
#4 just went right off the rails.

I like them all, #2 is just the best.

I like them all as well, I feel this series is one of the very few where every entry is really good.

Phantasm 2 reminded me of a road trip movie...   They were driving a black Cuda I think  smile

^^
Correct!

A very cool Cuda, at that.

Part 2 isn't just the best Phantasm movie...it's one of the greatest horror flicks ever. It's downright genius...it's freaking EPIC. I consider The Phantasm movies as the Lord of the Rings of horror films. Driving around the country with a four barrelled shotgun in a badass hemicuda trying to destroy evil and save the world. It don't get much better, and the WORLD Coscarelli created is staggering. He invented so much of his own mythlogy, which ain't no easy thing to do.

I love Phantasm II.

Phantasm 2 is easily the best made of the series and proberly is the best of the series but i do have a soft spot for the first one because it was one of the only films i have ever seen at the cinema that i knew nothing about and it made me enjoy it all the more.i like them all but the first two are definitely a class above the others.

^ - Agreed with both of the above posts. You can tell when Coscarelli made Phantasm II he used his budget not just for fancy effects but to enhance his vision from the original movie and take it to new territory he couldn't before due to budget limitations. One can only imagine what's capable of with the mega budgets so many movies these days get, if he did what he did with a measly $3 million when he made Phantasm II.

You guys are long winded explaining your love for two, what’s wrong with just say Samantha Phillips naked.

"Samantha Phillips naked."

Phantasm II is easily the best of the series imo also...how much inspiration do ya think the show Supernatural drew from this movie/series? I feel there are quite a few similarities.

ChainSaW80 wrote:

Samantha Phillips naked.

Yep

^^^Couldn't have said it better myself....hey....wait ah minute....

Phantasm II is like the first Phantasm movie mixed with Aliens and Evil Dead II. One of those great Action sequels.

What i didn't like was the ending. Much like Aliens, they build the whole movie around this girl and then killed her off in the third movie. Booooo !

She didn't die until the third movie though, so technically she's alive throughout all of the second one.

Also, does anyone else prefer James LeGros as Mike? With all due respect to Michael Baldwin who was the original and great in the role, something about James' Mike is more likeable and cool to me. I actually kinda wish he'd returned for 3 and 4, he was awesome in 2.

Epic-freaking-chainsaw-duel. 'Nuff said. wink

My choice between 1 and 2 has always been difficult but I gotta say 1 because of its originality. I still love 2 as well.

Matthew_T wrote:

Best part- Reggie pulls his out with a smirk, bad guy pulls his out, and Reggie goes, "Oh shit!"  big_smile

Matthew_T wrote:

Not to mention fun with a Quadro-Barreled Shotgun, a flamethrower massacre, a car chase, acidic embalming, the works big_smile

Thought I'd bumpt this, got to spread some Phantasm II love big_smile