Topic: The Woman in Black

A new Gothic Horror movie from Hammer studios starring Daniel Radcliff comes out on Feb 3...

The Poster is looks promising...

http://i854.photobucket.com/albums/ab101/DirtyGirlMovies/womaninblack.jpg

He plays a young lawyer who travels to a remote village where he discovers the vengeful ghost of a scorned woman is terrorizing the locals.

Trailer....

http://youtu.be/3ewh45W8LKw

Last edited by DirtyGirl (2012-01-16 16:19:37)

Re: The Woman in Black

Yeah, this is the remake of a very, very, very good Made for TV flick from the late 80s.  I saw it years ago and thought it was great but haven't been able to find a copy since.  I hope they don't screw it up.

LoudLon wrote:

Yeah, this is the remake of a very, very, very good Made for TV flick from the late 80s.  I saw it years ago and thought it was great but haven't been able to find a copy since.  I hope they don't screw it up.

Yeah,  I was trying to find it on youtube smile  I will post a link if I find it.

this looks good

I found a copy of it.. As soon as it's done I'll upload it to my dropbox.

Here it is...The Woman in Black 1989...

http://youtu.be/ku-d8hW6Tvo

Thanks Z3

LoudLon wrote:

yet again we agree Mr Lonnie that T.v movie was superb and if this version is as good as that then there will be no complaints from me.

@DirtyGirl & @LoudLon check your DM's

The Tv version was excellent!  Can't wait for the new one smile

Sorry guys, this is pretty  bad. It's an old movie, that is to say made in old fashioned ways, and it just doesn't do it for me.

Syphon wrote:

Sorry guys, this is pretty  bad. It's an old movie, that is to say made in old fashioned ways, and it just doesn't do it for me.

That is exactly why I liked it Syphon, it was a Gothic Ghost story.  I would love to see more gothic movies made!  It looks like Dario Argento's Dracula will be a perfect example...we'll see smile

It was a gothic ghost story, indeed. Which means that it doesn't really fit into this day and age anymore. However, that is not to say that it is an automatic failure, not at all. War Horse used old cinematography, everything was old fashioned about it. But it worked. Woman in Black, not at all.

Syphon wrote:

It was a gothic ghost story, indeed. Which means that it doesn't really fit into this day and age anymore. However, that is not to say that it is an automatic failure, not at all. War Horse used old cinematography, everything was old fashioned about it. But it worked. Woman in Black, not at all.

Frankly "this day and age" hasn't been putting out anything really good lately anyway.  The only good movies lately have been foreign.  I guess you're right it won't fit in with yet another remake or prequel of a classic movie or another found footage movie...  LOL

I know, right? I love the different approach to cinematography that countries other than "mainstream" American movies have. I said the same in the Trollhunter thread. I just watched the Host, it's Korean. I loved it (as far as monster movies go. It was a big trout? I mean...yeah...would've liked an explanation) Trollhunter from Norway, [Rec] from Spain...It's just so good to see different ideas.

All I'm saying is I want a return to scary!  What happened to movies that were scary?  Bring on the Horror!

Syphon wrote:

so how old are you Syphon? i suppose you won't watch films in Black & white . sorry i don't mean to sound like i'm having a go ( i'm not, every one is entitled to have an opinion) but what is wrong with using old fashioned ways? better to have a film with acting and performances and not just gory and cgi special effects, good as some of them are. If it wasn't for those " Old Fashioned " films paving the way you wouldn't have the films of today, even today's directors acknowledge it. i like most of the horror genre from  a few of the silents to bang up to date, there have been great films made in the genre in each decade, and crap ones as well. i suppose it comes down to what generation you are.

I'm 25, actually.

I have seen plenty of b&w movies (most recently, I am Legend with Vincent Price) and I do enjoy watching them.

What I'm saying is that there are certain aesthetics that did not age well, and when you transplant them from whence they came to today, it just feels off. This was the case with Woman in Black for me.

This is pretty much how I feel:
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/ … -War-Horse

Last edited by Syphon (2012-03-12 15:52:34)

Syphon wrote:

I'm 25, actually.

I have seen plenty of b&w movies (most recently, I am Legend with Vincent Price) and I do enjoy watching them.

What I'm saying is that there are certain aesthetics that did not age well, and when you transplant them from whence they came to today, it just feels off. This was the case with Woman in Black for me.

This is pretty much how I feel:
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/ … -War-Horse

Then i apologise and take back what i said, there are some who state on here they won't watch a film just because it's in black and white and i  can't see the logic in that. A film is a film, and i fail to see what colour the film is made in, as to whether it's any good or not.anyway i've pointed this out before on another thread. you obviously don't mind B & W films. what did you think of "Last Man On Earth"?. i think it's pretty good, not brilliant but it has it's moments.

Last edited by wolfman1959 (2012-03-12 17:16:16)

I said I am Legend? That was a failure on my part. I of course meant Last Man on Earth. My bad!
I loved it to  bits. It was far more true to the book than the latest Will Smith travesty and the passable Charlton Heston movie.

Did you know, by the way, that the original ending to the I am Legend with Will Smith was to show compassion to the vampires? And that that was deemed CONTROVERSIAL by test audiences?

That test audience said that killing off all the vampires was LESS CONTROVERSIAL than realising they were intelligent beings. Whaaat?

Also, if you like B&W, I'd recommend 2005 silent film The Call of Cthulhu
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Call_o … %28film%29)

Back on topic:

Maybe the Gothic love I have has been dulled. This movie just didn't do it for me like my first contact with the Gothic, such as with those from Edgar Allen Poe.

Syphon wrote:

I said I am Legend? That was a failure on my part. I of course meant Last Man on Earth. My bad!
I loved it to  bits. It was far more true to the book than the latest Will Smith travesty and the passable Charlton Heston movie.

Did you know, by the way, that the original ending to the I am Legend with Will Smith was to show compassion to the vampires? And that that was deemed CONTROVERSIAL by test audiences?

That test audience said that killing off all the vampires was LESS CONTROVERSIAL than realising they were intelligent beings. Whaaat?

Back on topic:

Maybe the Gothic love I have has been dulled. This movie just didn't do it for me like my first contact with the Gothic, such as with those from Edgar Allen Poe.

i like all three versions of

Syphon wrote:

Back on topic:

i like all three versions of "I AM Legend" and would certainly say that " the Last Man On earth" gets a bad rap most critics say it is the worst of the versions, and is boring. I don't think so it is very effective at times and stands up alongside the other two versions. Did you know that Hammer studios wanted to film a version but were told by the classification board, if they filmed it it would not be passed for screening! incredible!!! i take it you are refering to the roger corman poe films, yes they are good, especially on the budget they were made on.

According to Fangoria today, The Woman in Black is going to get a sequel...

Hammer Films has begun setting up its first follow-up of the new incarnation.

Deadline reports that in lieu of its nice haul, there will now be a sequel to their Daniel Radcliffe-starring, atmospheric creeper, THE WOMAN IN BLACK.

Working with Susan Hill, who authored the original novel, Hammer has Jon Croker (story editor on the first film) penning a story set 40 years after the events of the James Watkins-helmed film. Titled THE WOMAN IN BLACK: ANGELS OF DEATH, the film will tell of a couple who visit the large, imposing and very haunted Eel Marsh House.

hhhmmmm..........not sure this is necessary.

The main appeal of The Woman in Black was it's gothic feel and creepiness. If they set this one forty years after the original, isn't it going to lose a lot of that?

But, it was a good film, so i'll probably give this one a look.

Yeah, I'm not sure about a sequel either, but I like that they are working with the original author.  That has me hopeful for a good story.

Syphon wrote:

Come on, how many films of any time period can live up to the brilliance of Edgar Allen Poe.