Topic: Worst/Weakest/Least Favorite Movie In a Series

A variation on the best movie in a series thread I started here a while back, this time picking which movie in each of these respective series you feel is the worst.  Remakes, prequels or crossovers count in any series that has them.

---

Friday The 13th

Halloween

A Nightmare On Elm Street

Saw

Scream

The Texas Chainsaw Massacre

Alien

Predator

Phantasm

Evil Dead

Hellraiser

Child's Play

Final Destination

---

IMO, the worst in each:

Friday The 13th - Jason X

Halloween - Resurrection

A Nightmare On Elm Street - Freddy's Dead

Saw - Saw III

Scream - Scream 3

The Texas Chainsaw Massacre - The Next Generation

Alien - Alien Vs. Predator

Predator - Alien Vs. Predator

Phantasm - Phantasm III: Lord Of The Dead (still love it).

Evil Dead - Original (still love it, just prefer the sequels)

Hellraiser - Only seen the first six, and I liked Hellbound the least (very unpopular opinion, I know).

Child's Play - Seed Of Chucky

Final Destination - 4

Last edited by Jigsaw (2013-01-06 05:26:07)

Re: Worst/Weakest/Least Favorite Movie In a Series

Friday The 13th - I'd say it's a toss-up between part 8 and Jason X.

Halloween -- a three-way toss up on this one: parts 5, 6 and Retribution.

A Nightmare On Elm Street - part 5 and Freddy's Dead

Saw - I stopped watching with part 3, which I thought was horrible

Scream - part 3

The Texas Chainsaw Massacre - of the original series, TCM 3: Leatherface.  I haven't liked any of the new ones, from the remake on

Alien -- Not a big fan of 2 or 4

Predator -- the only ones worth watching in the entire series are the original and Predators, IMO

Phantasm -- I've only seen the first two, but while I enjoy the second one, I didn't like the first at all

Evil Dead -- I don't really think any of these flicks would qualify as "worst," but I would say AOD is the "lesser" of the three.  I'm still a big fan of it but it's not a horror film at all

Hellraiser -- I've only seen the first four.  Of those, I'd say the fourth one

Child's Play -- I didn't like any of them beyond the original, including Bride of and Seed of, which I thought were crap

Final Destination -- I've only seen the first three, and I'm not a big fan of any of them aside from part 2

Friday The 13th- #8
Halloween- Retribution
A Nightmare On Elm Street- Whichever one had the video game scene.
Saw- Last one I saw (ha!) was #3, so I'll go with that one.
Scream- I'm going with #2 (haven't seen #4 yet)
The Texas Chainsaw Massacre- Next Generation- seriously, gag jokes with remote controls and a robotic leg?
Alien- #4
Predator- Aliens vs. Predator: Requim
Phantasm- #1 or 4
Evil Dead- Like Lon said, AoD was the weakest, not worst
Hellraiser- Hellraiser Inferno (#5)- Pinhead shows up for literally 2 minutes.
Child's Play- Any besides the 1st, but I'll go with the military academy
Final Destination- The Final Destination (though any after #2 was dumb)

Last edited by azathoth (2012-03-23 12:06:52)

Friday The 13th ~ Jason Goes To Hell
Halloween ~ Part 5
A Nightmare On Elm Street ~ Part 5
Saw ~ Saw 3
Scream ~ Scream 3
The Texas Chainsaw Massacre ~ Next Generation
Alien ~ Resurrection
Predator ~ AVP
Phantasm ~ Part 3
Evil Dead ~ Army Of The Dead
Hellraiser ~ Revelations
Child's Play ~ Seed Of Chucky
Final Destination ~ Part 4

riday The 13th ~ 7, 10
Halloween ~  Resurrection
A Nightmare On Elm Street ~  6
Saw ~  Only seen 4,  , 4 one
Scream ~ Scream 3
The Texas Chainsaw Massacre ~ Next Generation
Alien ~  only seen first 3, did not part 3
Predator ~ AVP (not seen any for years)
Phantasm ~ ( not seen any)
Evil Dead ~ None
Hellraiser ~ Only seen 3, i loved them.
Child's Play ~ 2, Love the rest
Final Destination ~ Part 4

NOES - Freddys revenge

Saw - Saw 3 is the worst but i also don't particularly like 5,6,7.......... and so on. The first one is the only standout and original movie in the series.

Alien - Alien3

Childs play - Seed of Chucky

Evil Dead - Army of Darkness (still good though)

Predator - AVP: Requiem

TCM - Next generation

Friday the 13th - Only seen the first one and thought it was underwhelming.

Final Destination - Of the ones ive seen part 3 is the worst one but none in the series have made a serious impact impact on me. Some of the deaths are quite ingenuous though.

Scream - Only seen 1 and 4 and thought both were pretty good(Scream 4 is better i think though) so im gonna respect u guys opinions and say 3.

Last edited by Vasquez (2012-03-24 04:33:20)

LoudLon wrote:

Friday The 13th - I'd say it's a toss-up between part 8 and Jason X.

Halloween -- a three-way toss up on this one: parts 5, 6 and Retribution.

A Nightmare On Elm Street - part 5 and Freddy's Dead

Saw - I stopped watching with part 3, which I thought was horrible

Scream - part 3

The Texas Chainsaw Massacre - of the original series, TCM 3: Leatherface.  I haven't liked any of the new ones, from the remake on

Alien -- Not a big fan of 2 or 4

Predator -- the only ones worth watching in the entire series are the original and Predators, IMO

Phantasm -- I've only seen the first two, but while I enjoy the second one, I didn't like the first at all

Evil Dead -- I don't really think any of these flicks would qualify as "worst," but I would say AOD is the "lesser" of the three.  I'm still a big fan of it but it's not a horror film at all

Hellraiser -- I've only seen the first four.  Of those, I'd say the fourth one

Child's Play -- I didn't like any of them beyond the original, including Bride of and Seed of, which I thought were crap

Final Destination -- I've only seen the first three, and I'm not a big fan of any of them aside from part 2

Lon, gosh I hate to keep arguing with you but Army of Darkness is a horror movie.

I don't see it as arguing, man.  I see it as discussing.  We haven't resorted to calling each other names yet so nothin' but love, brother. smile

I see the first Evil Dead as a full-on horror movie, Evil Dead 2 as a horror/comedy, and Army of Darkness as a fantasy/comedy.  It obviously has horror elements but it doesn't play them for horror, it plays them for laughs.  There's nothing scary in the flick at all, but there is a whole lot of humor. 

Not that I'm condeming it, mind you; I'm a fan and value it for nostalgic reasons -- the day I got home after ETSing from the Army back in '93, my family threw me a horror movie welcome home party and AOD was the final movie of that night and I just loved it.  The only reason I chose it for this questionnaire is because it's the one in the series which strays furthest from the genre, but don't take that to mean I think it's the worst of the series.  On the contrary; I think the Evil Dead series as a whole is a rarity in that each film, while different in tone from one another, are all equally classic. smile

Friday The 13th - 5 and 9.

Halloween - Part two remake.

A Nightmare On Elm Street - 5 +

Saw - Don't know.

Scream - 3.

The Texas Chainsaw Massacre - Don't know.

Alien - No opinion.

Predator - Last one.

Phantasm - Don't know.

Evil Dead - There is no worst in this series.  They are all great.

Hellraiser - Don't know.

Child's Play - Original was good.  All other horrible.

Final Destination - No opinion...I don't like these.

Adding:

Paranormal Activity - 2.

Last edited by Ghostseeker (2012-03-23 21:40:15)

Friday The 13th - 8

Halloween - most after 3

A Nightmare On Elm Street - 5 and up (excluding New Nightmare)

Saw - Only like the first one

Scream - 3 BLECCH!

The Texas Chainsaw Massacre - Next Generation or any of the new ones

Alien - Any after the first one.  They abandoned horror completely

Predator - 2

Phantasm - DK

Evil Dead - upcoming remake, I'm sure.  Otherwise, love them all

Hellraiser - 5 and 6

Child's Play - 3?

Final Destination - The last two

Last edited by moviemaven (2012-03-23 22:09:08)

I'm about to add a bit that will likely get me stoned but I'm fearless.  lol

Of the Evil Dead series, I do enjoy them all BUT I would have to say Evil Dead 2 irks me the most.  The reason for this is that with the first one, Raimi had a perfect, beautiful, scary as hell flick that is really very effective, even if clunky.  But when he essentially remade it AND added comedy with Part 2, it made me feel betrayed as a horror fan.  Yes, I said I enjoy it...for what it is.  But I still get ticked when I think of how disrespectful he was to his original film.  Of course that's just an opinion.  But (as you can see with my comment on the Alien series) I abhor it when filmmakers abandon the horror roots of a series.  And, by cracky, I just didn't feel that Evil Dead required re-doing.  So there.

It's all good, peoples!  We all have our opinions.  Mine are the correct ones, but I'll let y'all slide, lol
It would be boring if everyone thought the same thing about every movie.  Then I wouldn't be able to call Mavie a poopyhead for dumping on my favorite movie (see above post).  big_smile

You can call me whatever you want, Monkey, as long as you use that sexy Skype voice.  wink

LoudLon wrote:

I don't see it as arguing, man.  I see it as discussing.  We haven't resorted to calling each other names yet so nothin' but love, brother. smile

I see the first Evil Dead as a full-on horror movie, Evil Dead 2 as a horror/comedy, and Army of Darkness as a fantasy/comedy.  It obviously has horror elements but it doesn't play them for horror, it plays them for laughs.  There's nothing scary in the flick at all, but there is a whole lot of humor. 

Not that I'm condeming it, mind you; I'm a fan and value it for nostalgic reasons -- the day I got home after ETSing from the Army back in '93, my family threw me a horror movie welcome home party and AOD was the final movie of that night and I just loved it.  The only reason I chose it for this questionnaire is because it's the one in the series which strays furthest from the genre, but don't take that to mean I think it's the worst of the series.  On the contrary; I think the Evil Dead series as a whole is a rarity in that each film, while different in tone from one another, are all equally classic. smile

I knew you would throw in fantasy, I agree that it does have a fantasy "feel" to it also. But since its roots lie from horror its still feels more like a horror movie to me overall. Maybe a horror/fantasy/comedy lol

People keep saying I have a nice phone/Skype voice, yet whenever I listen myself I think I sound like a rusty frog.  Odd.

AoD has the horror tropes- Deadites, skeletons, an army of the undead, the Necronomicon.  But the less confined feel and adventure pieces (running around the landscape, building an army) reign in the scary aspect and give it that 'fantasy' feeling Lon is talking about (I'd go more with 'adventure,' but whatever).  And once you toss in the 3 Stooges act in the graveyard, I think we have left the horror building.  My 2 pence.

Maven, I agree 100% with everything you said about Evil Dead. I too liked the first one more because it was actually serious and pretty creepy. I also like part 2 but felt he didn't need to do a "remake".

As for Aliens I can't argue that it kinda abandoned its horror roots, to an extent. But I grew up with Aliens and love it so. I do love Alien only slightly more but the rest of the series is good entertainment also for me (even Resurrection to a lesser extent). But iI could also argue that its roots do not lie solely in horror it was also very much a sci/fi film...eh?

Now the Predator series is a different story, I actually agree with Lon on those.

Last edited by ChainSaW80 (2012-03-23 23:05:29)

azathoth wrote:

People keep saying I have a nice phone/Skype voice, yet whenever I listen myself I think I sound like a rusty frog.  Odd.

AoD has the horror tropes- Deadites, skeletons, an army of the undead, the Necronomicon.  But the less confined feel and adventure pieces (running around the landscape, building an army) reign in the scary aspect and give it that 'fantasy' feeling Lon is talking about (I'd go more with 'adventure,' but whatever).  And once you toss in the 3 Stooges act in the graveyard, I think we have left the horror building.  My 2 pence.

Look, I was trying to work out a compromise with horror/fantasy/comedy and you gotta go and throw adventure!?!? Goddamndirtyapes!!!

Maybe that's the cool thing about this flick, its diverse enough it can't be bound by a single genre, which is the case with a lot of movie IMO.

I will happily bitchslap anyone who says that Alien is not a horror film.  wink

^^^ Alien is totally a horror film.  More horror than sci-fi, even; it's often been called a haunted house story in space, and I'm hard pressed to disagree.  As for Aliens, I think it's very well made and all that but frankly I got bored once the fifth or sixth alien splattered in a hail of gunfire.  The first Alien was scary because it was a single monster kept in the dark in a location with all kinds of nooks and crannies and shadows to hide in and spring from.  Aliens stuck a dozen of 'em in the well-lit open where you could see it was just a man in a suit, ruining the mystery of it.  More is not always better.

Azzie -- your voice makes you sound like a pleasant and educated fellow.  When I hear my own voice when listening to your uploaded Movie Night recordings I think I sound like a dork.  My kid's mom used to tell me I sound like Elvis, but she's Canadian so her opinion doesn't count. big_smile

Alien is definitely horror, more so than sci/fi...but its still sci/fi also. My only reason for saying it has some sci/fi roots is to give justification to the fact that Aliens was more sci/fi than horror (but still has some horror elements IMO).

Last edited by ChainSaW80 (2012-03-24 00:30:26)

moviemaven wrote:

I will happily bitchslap anyone who says that Alien is not a horror film.  wink

"Alien isn't a horror film."

Nah, it is, I'm just in the mood to get bitch-slapped. lol
Sci-fi and horror don't have to be exclusive.  Sci-fi is based in an universe that is either different from ours or more advanced than we are.  Being futuristic doesn't preclude having horror waiting around the corner.  For example, Bram Stroker would consider today to be sci-fi, but we still have vampires.

As for Aliens, I'd have to say that the sci-fi/action overtakes the horror element almost completely.  Not that it is not a great film ("Game over man!"), just doesn't have the spooky of the first one.

^
It goes back to what I said about AOD, many movies can not be filed or labeled under a single genre.

^^
Yep.

moviemaven wrote:

I'm about to add a bit that will likely get me stoned but I'm fearless.  lol

Of the Evil Dead series, I do enjoy them all BUT I would have to say Evil Dead 2 irks me the most.  The reason for this is that with the first one, Raimi had a perfect, beautiful, scary as hell flick that is really very effective, even if clunky.  But when he essentially remade it AND added comedy with Part 2, it made me feel betrayed as a horror fan.  Yes, I said I enjoy it...for what it is.  But I still get ticked when I think of how disrespectful he was to his original film.  Of course that's just an opinion.  But (as you can see with my comment on the Alien series) I abhor it when filmmakers abandon the horror roots of a series.  And, by cracky, I just didn't feel that Evil Dead required re-doing.  So there.

I half agree with you. I Prefer the first one aswell because its a full on horror movie and and very effective despite its small budget because of the techniques Raimi uses for e.g with camera angles to create a creepy and surreal experience. I don't think Raimi disrespects the first one with the second though he maybe just thought what he could do with a bigger budget and though i still think the second is good, as i say the firs tone is my favourite.

Jigsaw wrote:

Friday The 13th - FRiday tHE 13TH Part 3

Halloween - all of them after number 3.

A Nightmare On Elm Street - part 5

Saw - Saw 5

Scream - Scream 3

The Texas Chainsaw Massacre - The Next Generation

Alien - Alien Vs. Predator

Predator - all of them after first two

Phantasm - Phantasm III: Lord Of The Dead

Evil Dead - army of darkness

Hellraiser - all of them after the first

Child's Play - child's play 3

Final Destination -love all of these but the 3D one is easily the least.

there we go Wolfie's opinion.