Re: Walking Dead Season 2 Official Discussion Thread.

Confession; I had said some time ago that I would have liked for the series to follow the comic more closely. I now retract that comment. I've changed my mind because after last season's end, the show got a bit lack luster. It wasn't because of the characters, but the story line that I found to be getting too bland. Especially the finale! Now that we're about done with this season. I can't say enough about how much I enjoy the direction of the show and the development of each character. And, I now like not knowing what's gonna happen next.

As for Shane? Were I Rick. I would have taken him out a lot sooner. But that's just me. I'm guessing they'll find someone else later on down the line to replace the love-hate relationship viewers had for him. At least I hope so.

Rick's wife did kind of lead Shane on towards the end. I think, that she thought, Shane was going to eventually hurt, or worse, kill Rick. Yea she's manipulative, but IMO her motives were justified.

Carl is one tuff kid!  The boy's pretty much become an adult, in a kids body.

For the finale? I'm not even going to try and predict how it's going to unfold???

Interesting posts here.  Personally, I don't think they can replace Shane.  I thought he was a great character.  Though, they can find other good characters, and replace the conflict. 

Think about this...If the other camp found Rick's group and there was a confrontation.  Who wouldn't of wanted Shane in their corner?  I know...he's gone, but I think of that.  Clearly Rick had to take him out though.

Ok...so I'm going to make a prediction.  I haven't read / seen anything to support this, it is just a guess.  Maybe it's way obvious too.  I think the other group will capture / kidnap someone from Rick's group in the finale.

I am really hoping for the classic Zombie showdown in a house...you know zombies coming through the windows and all that good stuff  smile

Here we go. Final episode of season 2.

Let's do this...

Well, if this episode doesn't shut up all those viewers who were bitching about too little zombie action this season then I don't know what will.

Great finale to the season, though I have to admit I'm a bit nervous about something...

SPOILERS (left click and drag below to read):

I've never read the comics and have gone out of my way to avoid any discussion about them because I don't want to know what's coming in the show, but try as I may, sometimes you pick up a spoiler or detail.  That said, a lot of people have mentioned a character named Michon (sp) in the comics, a sword-weilding character who's supposed to be this major bad-ass.  And lookie here, we've  been shown this character now in this latest episode.

My concern is -- and again, keep in mind I've never read the comic so I don't know how accurate this may be -- that the show might be taking a turn for the more far-fetched.  A zombie-killing ninja may fit in very well in a comic book, but in a TV show which focuses more on the drama and is grounded (more or less) in reality, I hope this doesn't change into something more fantasy/action based.  I know the word "subtle" loses a lot of its meaning in a show about a zombie apocalypse, but I hope the introduction of this character doesn't upset the delicate dramatic balance.  Just saying.

END SPOILER

That said, lots of interesting turns both plot- and character-wise in this ep, especially in regards to Rick.  Can't wait to see what next season holds, and how they writers fill the huge dramatic shoes left empty with the deaths of Dale and Shane.

I try to avoid those spoilers myself, although I find myself wanting to read the comics more and more as the show progresses. I may give in since its a long time till fall...but then again I think part of the reason the show is so great because it is so new to me. I don't know...anyways.

***SPOILERS***

My favorite part of the finale was Andrea being saved by the mysterious hooded figure. Lon, I can't see them taking the show in the direction that you speak of. Maybe, but it don't seem likely. On the talking dead the writers said the first couple seasons the characters were learning and trying to figure out how to survive and the hooded character introduced in the finale has already figured out how to survive in their world...sounds interesting.

I also read that Micheal Rooker will return in season 3, which was a bit of a spoiler when I seen it but not really surprising, I figured we hadn't seen the last of him anyways. Anyways, can't wait for the next season!!!

I'm one that admittedly was disappointed with some of the things in the first half of season 2.  Did find it boring at times.  For me it didn't have anything to do with not enough Zombie action though,  it was the pace of other things.  In the end it was worth it.  Still, it coulda been worth it with more happening too.  The Shane / Rick tension really got me into this show, not the increased Zombie action.

Lon - Good observation in your spoiler.  As usual, something I didn't think of, and I too hope that doesn't happen.  Though from the scene in the finale...it could.  Could also make for some pretty cool things to come, guess it depends on how they play it.

I'm actually kinda surprised by the finale.  It didn't have the cliffhanger type ending I expected...which I'm actually glad about.  I hate it when season finales do that.  At least there was some sort of resolution, albeit with uncertainty. 

Like most (if not all) everyone else here...I'm excited to see where this goes.  I love the fall...and there is one more reason to look forward to it.

** SPOILER **

Adding...Saw, just saw your post.  The thing that makes me think Lon is on to something is the things the hooded figure had with him / her (trying not to give too much away).  Think about how that scene looked.  To me it definitely had a very unrealistic / fantasy type feel to it.  I'm not complaining, or saying it was bad, but think it shows some support to what Lon's concern is.

Last edited by Ghostseeker (2012-03-18 23:31:09)

***Spoilers Below***

I was really excited to see this new character, she is one of my favorites in the comics!    No she is not a supernatural, but she is bad ass...think Michelle Rodriguez type character.  (wow, she would have been a great choice for her)

I also saw an interesting spoiler here...  http://t.co/uUz6XgUa

I loved Hershall's quote this week " I can't profess to understand God's plan,  But when Christ promised a resurrection of the dead.    I just thought he had something a little different in mind."

Lori is on my last nerve .she totally playedRick and Shane against eachother,doesnt know who got her pregnant, yet walks around acting so self righteous getting mad at everyones bad decions...iwish Andrea would call her out on all shes done and give her a good slap too.. shes also not a very good mom. doesnt watch her son! that kid is forever where he shouldnt be......and i feel everyone should get off Ricks nuts too

MistressOf Horror wrote:

Lori is on my last nerve .she totally playedRick and Shane against eachother,doesnt know who got her pregnant, yet walks around acting so self righteous getting mad at everyones bad decions...iwish Andrea would call her out on all shes done and give her a good slap too.. shes also not a very good mom. doesnt watch her son! that kid is forever where he shouldnt be......and i feel everyone should get off Ricks nuts too

totally agree with you mistress i find that Lori is nothing but a troublemaker. i'm so glad also that andrea is ok. I wish that everyone will leave rick alone he did what he felt needed to be done. I'm pissed about shane too he was one of my favourites.

Yep, that was a pretty good finale.  big_smile
I liked the pan up to the prison at the very end.  I think that will provide plenty of people to introduce all kinds of new tension, especially from the bits and pieces I've picked up from people (not just here) talking about the comic and the new characters that will be introduced.
**Spoilers**

As for the Reaper (as I'm calling him for now until I learn his name), I don't think they'll take it to a fantasy level.  Some people are just badass, and a sword makes a fine weapon.  Bitch to sharpen, though.  lol  His 2 little zombie playthings were kind of freaky, though.

They took out more people than I thought.  I agree with MoH about Lori- the only reason I'm not actively hoping she gets chomped is for Carl's sake.  Rick tells her Shane was going to kill him in cold blood, yet she gets pissed that Rick killed him in what was essentially self defense.

**Spoilers**
[edit- does anyone else find that smile in the middle of my black text just a bit disconcerting?]

Now we just have to wait, what, about 6 months?  Bummer.  So when does American Horror Story start back up?

Last edited by azathoth (2012-03-20 13:17:03)

well i've seen it and i have a few mixed feelings. it started off great ! the action was well done and exciting , and this second series is certainly a lot gorier than the first.  A bit disapointed that one or two more main characters weren't killed off although i certainly didn't want Andrea to die i like her and at one stage i thought " Shit, she's a goner". I am also glad Herschel wasn't killed off, i like Scott Wilson as an actor ( he is fantastic in a film i'm always talking about and not enough people have seen " The Ninth Configuration) and i think he will be a good replacement for Dale. i wasn't that keen on the final moments as i wasn't at the end of the first season, i like a cliffhanger finish and we don't get it here, but let's not take it away from this series, it's very good and i hope it continues to get better and better.

Holy moly. Great end!!!
Action right at the get go!!! Yay for Zombies.
And Lori...very much needs a bitch slap.
Look forward to the next season. Seems so far away sad