Topic: Are we Horror Geeks or Horror Hipsters?

Are we Horror Geeks or Horror Hipsters?

Oh... I find the wierdest stuff on the internet....Here is a blog post about being a Horror Fan...

http://jadedviewer.blogspot.ca/2012/03/ … -fans.html

Re: Are we Horror Geeks or Horror Hipsters?

Either way, beats being a Michael Bay fan.

I'm neither. I'm just a guy who ended up here because he liked a zombie story, followed a link to an interview with the author, found another story he liked and joined a forum to say so and then migrated here to support the dude who made this place.

Im a bit of both.

That article was lazy.  The guy obviously knows jack about actual horror fans, but knows a little about horror in general and applies the term hipster to it.  Because hipster is really hip to use right now.

I do agree that "hipsters" (what the fuck does that really mean anymore?  I'd go with the phrase "casual horror fan" myself.) do the stuff he says.

Here is an actual horror fan's response (this is just me; I am not including anyone else on HM in my thinking, before anyone thinks I'm speaking for them):

1. We think things going back to the 30s and 40s are classics.

2. No, we tell them to also see the originals.

3. "What could I be talking about?"- You tell us, because that made no sense.

4. Well, I can't say anything about horror T-shirts except I don't wear those.

5. The fact you missed about a dozen better found footage films, and you claim that all you want is another cannibal film, is sad.

6. Don't know about remake rage; I think it's the fact that the remakes are inferior to the originals.  But I'll call it a tie.

7. What's the problem with a horror blog.   I know many fine people here who have them, plus a few others with websites.  "I just called myself a horror hipster douche bag. I'm a sonnavabitch."  Why yes, the first thing I agree with.

8. Dude, if you think the obscure crap we talk about is on Amazon, you just don't know us well.

9. Hah- go read my subtitles thread.

10. Don't know about people who make their profile pick from horror conventions.  Seems pretty dumb, though.

Mr. Jaded Viewer, please come hang out with some actual fans for a bit.  It will be an education.

So spoketh the monkey.

you  Tell em az!

I want to read this but I can't.  Stuff tends to piss me off and send me into a frenzy where I spend paragraph after paragraph mapping out my arguments....most of you have seen the result of that.  I'm just not into getting emotionally tied up with arguments these days. 

BUT I'm sure I'm with you in spirit, Monkey, so I will defer to you to also speak for me.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who had a...less than stellar response to this nonsensical post.  I managed to get a six page rant out of it so thats nice:

http://devourtheblog.wordpress.com/2012 … blog-post/

And thank you once again to Dirtygirl for retweeting the original link that spawned my scathing retort and for directing me here to the forums.

Last edited by DavidDellamorte (2012-03-28 19:03:48)

I also got the feeling he wasn't a true Geek while reading it...ha  smile  but just poking fun at the things some of us do...

Besides doesn't the term Hipster mean that you like something because it is popular or cool?  I'm not sure if that really applies to the Horror Genre.   Since when has it been cool?   Perhaps the Scifi Genre would get more Hipsters attracted to it. 

I have to admit I am wearing my Friday the 13th shirt today and I did repost a picture of my son with Ksenia Solo from lost Girl today too....lol

And I just went back and saw DG already had her say.  You go girl!

@DaveDell- Left you a post on your in-depth rebuttle.  Well said.

I consider myself a horror nerd, thank you  smile

Cap Howdy wrote:

I'm neither...

Sure.  You only forgot more about horror than most of us know.  You hipster, you.  tongue

Okay, I broke down.  Dammit.  lol  BUT it's not that bad.  I really only have one thing to say.  Most of his rantings I can ignore because...they're ignorable.  BUT I do have to comment that no, we horror fans who rage against the remakes do NOT go out in hordes to view them.

After years of being forced to watch a lot of crap I never would normally because it was my job, one thing I can say is that horror fans, the real ones, are barely going to the theater at all.  Watch the numbers.  We are so jaded as a group that you are hard-pressed to get us out there even when something good (Drag Me to Hell) comes along.  Every time a new, worthy release comes out, I find myself begging fans to throw money at it.  Some do.  But most of us are so tired of being duped by Hollywood that we wait until the video release.  It's sad, really.

The F13 remake, for instance, made fairly big bank for what it is, but it didn't come from us.  It came from those who have no idea that Platinum Dunes' best feat is torturing good storylines and creativity, those who have no idea that anything with Michael Bay's name attached is guaranteed to be crap when horror is involved.

Fuck it! Im definitely a full on Horror nerd!

Last edited by Vasquez (2012-03-28 18:38:21)

I have to admit I took my son to go see the remake of NOES.  Even he came out pissed saying the original was better!

Here is a good rebuttal...

http://devourtheblog.wordpress.com/2012 … blog-post/

^^
Much more in-depth than my little list.

moviemaven wrote:

Okay, I broke down.  Dammit.  lol  BUT it's not that bad.  I really only have one thing to say.  Most of his rantings I can ignore because...they're ignorable.  BUT I do have to comment that no, we horror fans who rage against the remakes do NOT go out in hordes to view them.

After years of being forced to watch a lot of crap I never would normally because it was my job, one thing I can say is that horror fans, the real ones, are barely going to the theater at all.  Watch the numbers.  We are so jaded as a group that you are hard-pressed to get us out there even when something good (Drag Me to Hell) comes along.  Every time a new, worthy release comes out, I find myself begging fans to throw money at it.  Some do.  But most of us are so tired of being duped by Hollywood that we wait until the video release.  It's sad, really.

The F13 remake, for instance, made fairly big bank for what it is, but it didn't come from us.  It came from those who have no idea that Platinum Dunes' best feat is torturing good storylines and creativity, those who have no idea that anything with Michael Bay's name attached is guaranteed to be crap when horror is involved.

I emphaphize about going to the theatres. There is very rarely a horror film at cinemas these days that interests me, sometimes Im waiting for a film that will interest me for months on end. Lots of english language films, whether horror or another genre at cinemas are remakes, adaptions or sequels or even if original pretty generic. There is only sometimes good foreign horror like TrollHunter on.
As the guy in the blog said i think a lot of the more daring and original movies these days come outside of Britain or the US but what the fck is wrong with reading subtitles.

No comment!!

^^Exactomundo Maven.  Most of the stuff that I (I will only speak for myself here) want to see, foreign and independent stuff, is never released theatrically.  Instead, if it is successful, it will get a hollywood remake.  And like the slew of other remakes, I will wait til they hit disc, or elsewhere, before I spend my hard earned cash on them.

Concerning remakes. As a horror fan i think that, and im sure a lot of people here will agree remakes aren't necessarily bad. see ISOUG The Hills Have Eyes etc. I am however definitely not part of the audience however that makes Bay richer.

There are some english films that come out in the cinema that are original and interesting though like Red state and I have heard good things about Cabin in the woods. These are however too often the exceptions.

I don't really care what others would classify us as.   What I don't like is when one horror fan tells another he's not a "real" horror fan.  "You don't like Jaws, so you're not a 'real' horror fan."  Fuck you!  I've forgotten more about horror films than most fans will ever retain.  I watch a lot of horror movies and don't consider them the bastard child of the film industry -- THAT's what makes a "real" horror fan.

That said, if he wants to label, I'll accept  "horror movie snob" or "horror movie elitist."  Both are pretty much accurate. big_smile

Why'd you have to bring JAWS into it?  I've never said that about anyone?  But you had to go and point fingers at my fish movie?  Not too cool. 

LMAO

I don't give a shit either.  I DO wear horror tee shirts because I love horror and I fucking like wearing horror tee shirts.  I also have enough memorabilia in my office so that it looks like a 13 year old boy resides there.  But I've been gathering these collections for over thirty years...like most fans.

I will accept "snob" to an extent. I do believe people should be allowed to enjoy whatever they wish, even if it sucks.  That's their right.  I only really get angry when the horror genre, its films or its fans are misrepresented in a negative light.

moviemaven wrote:

I don't give a shit either.  I DO wear horror tee shirts because I love horror and I fucking like wearing horror tee shirts.  I also have enough memorabilia in my office so that it looks like a 13 year old boy resides there.

lol smile    My family room looks like a video store exploded in it.   

I really don't care how I'm labeled either.  Usually my friends label me the weird girl who likes Horror/Zombie movies....lol     Whatever...  but then who do they ask what to watch at Halloween?

9.) We also say the French, Japanese, Chinese, Canadian, British, German make the best horror flicks these days.

Only hipster horror geeks hate subtitles. The rest of us have no problem with them. What are you from the American south?

That hurts @DirtyGIrl ! lol Silly Canadians and your fancy moving pictures with text and stuff.