Re: What was the scariest and/or most disturbing book you have ever read?

I've read The Satanic Bible by Anton LaVey twice but it was more interesting than disturbing

"Satan represents man as just another animal, sometimes better, more often worse than those that walk on all fours, who, because of his 'divine and intellectual development' has become the most vicious animal of all!" - Satanic Statement #7

and who can argue that one? LOL

People largely avoid it and don't realize it's not about worshiping a horned-one and melting babies down into candles.
Absolutely nothing disturbing about it - pretty thought provoking in fact IMO

Last edited by deadhorse13 (2010-12-30 14:35:13)

deadhorse13 wrote:

I've read The Satanic Bible by Anton LaVey twice but it was more interesting than disturbing

"Satan represents man as just another animal, sometimes better, more often worse than those that walk on all fours, who, because of his 'divine and intellectual development' has become the most vicious animal of all!" - Satanic Statement #7

and who can argue that one? LOL

People largely avoid it and don't realize it's not about worshiping a horned-one and melting babies down into candles.
Absolutely nothing disturbing about it - pretty thought provoking in fact IMO

Exactly i see it as a book that describes how people genuinally react to situations as opposed to what is PC. Like when it says do not harm someone that hasn't harmed you until they do then you can open a can of whoop ass (paraphrasing lol) as opposed to the whole love thy neighbour thing.

I read a book once ( and cant remeber the title ) about these gargoyles that were living in the deseert. they had awakened .They were killing rangers, the male ones. and abducting women to mate with. what disturbed me was the sleaziness of it all,  the gargoyles hunting the women down while obviously in heat with their 'gianormus' part of their anatomy terrifying the poor women. I felt sorry for those ladies.

Last edited by MistressOf Horror (2010-12-30 17:43:12)

Some of Clive Barkers older stuff is good...

Deinitely American Psycho for me.  There were actually sequences in that book that nearly made my gorge rise.  I've never had that happen while reading a book before.

Gods of Death is another good one.  A supposedly true account of the author's investigation into a snuff film ring.  While some of it doesn't ring as completely authentic, there are parts which, if they are true, the guy's lucky to still be alive.

I'd probably have to say the most disturbing book I've ever read was Jack Ketchum's THE GIRL NEXT DOOR.  It's made even more unsettling by the fact that it's based on a true story (the Sylvia Likens case, from back in the 50's).

Second place would probably go to FEAST, by Graham Masterton . . . the only book I've ever had to actually *put down* for a few minutes because the subject matter was making me physically ill.
I loved it.  smile

Edited to add:  I've always wanted to read that GODS OF DEATH book, LoudLon.  Thanks for reminding me to look for it after I'm finished here.

Last edited by J.N. (2011-03-06 10:20:26)

By a wide margin the most unsettling story for me is "Buckets", by F. Paul Wilson. It's very hard to find, but it is creepy as hell. I have sitting on my nightstand (in his collection "Soft and Other Stories"), but I haven't managed to re-read it yet.

Salem's Lot and IT are high on the list too, Salem's Lot is the only truly scary vampire novel I've ever read.

Edward Lee books would be disturbing to a lot of people.  He writes Horror, and has a sex theme in his writing.  In a couple books, the majority of the stories literally take place in hell.  The creatures are formed in the shape of sexual organs and there is a lot of forced sex.

Edward wrote the story for the movie Header, so for those that saw it that kinds sums it up.  Although I wasn't really disturbed by that movie.  I also read most of his books before Header was made.  His books are not the easiest to get, but it's kinda the same thing in most of them, so I stopped looking.  Plus I don't read as much as I did.

On the Beach by Nevil Shute.  It was not scary per se, but it had a deep effect on me.  I've read it twice, and probably will never read it again.

azathoth wrote:

On the Beach by Nevil Shute.  It was not scary per se, but it had a deep effect on me.  I've read it twice, and probably will never read it again.

good book az. as you can imagine the film and the t.v mini series aren't exactly a bundle of laughs eithier.

wolfman1959 wrote:
azathoth wrote:

good book az. as you can imagine the film and the t.v mini series aren't exactly a bundle of laughs eithier.

No, they were not.  I most likely will never watch those again, either.

Last edited by azathoth (2011-04-20 17:57:03)

http://2pep.com/funny%20pics/funny%20hilarious%20pictures/super_funny_hilarious_pictures_The_Bible.jpg

http://images1.memegenerator.net/ImageMacro/6557044/read-necronomicon-bring-grandma-back.jpg?imageSize=Medium&generatorName=Advice-Dog

(I needed something funny)

heh heh

meme generator is as much a blessing as it is a curse.

HP Lovecraft "The Mountains of Madness" is wonderful and not read enough today by younger (under 40) audiences. I could name several books, but so many are hard to find or not in print that it would be pointless. Also, forget Koontz or King... Clive Barker to me is a far more devious and frightening writer. Not as accessible to the masses, but much deeper realms of darkness than the family friendly writing King has been watering down for years.

Last edited by Doctor_Pepper (2011-04-23 14:17:24)

Doctor_Pepper wrote:

HG Wells "The Mountains of Madness" is wonderful

Are you sure you're not confusing HG with HP Lovecraft?

Last edited by azathoth (2011-04-22 19:36:31)

Most disturbing for me was lovecraft.   I have a book of his most popular stories.

Bret Easton Ellis' whole set of work...sure, American Psycho by its self is pretty graphic and twisted, but if you actually take the time to read all of his books in order (well ok, maybe you can skip "The Informers") it just adds a whole new layer of creepiness, especially by the time you get to "Lunar Park"...F'ing Terby.

Just recently finished American Psycho, loved it!  I had a couple of oh shit moments where I had to go back and re-read certain bits, like the rat stuff.

I remember reading The Stand one summer as a teenager and when the phone rang, I jumped, I had gotten so into it that I forgot the world wasn't dead!

Last edited by LivingDeadDoll (2012-02-24 19:11:01)

'Curious George Goes to the Hospital'
Poor scared monkey.  sad

I'd say book 4 of "The Green Mile" (for anyone who read it in the serialized format) when I was 12 made me physically ill (the part of the story where they get to the "Bad Death" of whats his name)

Honestly the last horror story that really got to me recently was either "The Girl Next Door" by Jack Ketchum or one of short stories in the fantastic anthologies "Splatterpunks: Extreme Horror" or "Splatterpunks 2: Over the Edge"

I love the old Splatterpunk and Hot Blood anthologies.  Some very edgy stuff.

I managed to pick up both Splatterpunks books for cheap at a used book store I worked at briefly and the two stories that immediately stand out in my mind are the Richard Christian Matheson story from book 1 (the title alludes me currently) and "Imprint" from book two. Both stories had the same effect on me of making me stop, close the book and just sit in stunned silence at what I had just read.

LivingDeadDoll wrote:

Just recently finished American Psycho, loved it!  I had a couple of oh shit moments where I had to go back and re-read certain bits, like the rat stuff.

I remember reading The Stand one summer as a teenager and when the phone rang, I jumped, I had gotten so into it that I forgot the world wasn't dead!

American Psycho is a book I will always remember,not just for the story,but for the way it was printed.. With no punctuations,just run on sentences..Truly reflected his insanity.

American Psycho was a novel I didn't quite get the first time I read it, but I've been meaning to go back and re-read it. I remember being shocked by how brutal it was though and how odd it was that whole chapters were devoted to seemingly pointless topics