Re: Are we Horror Geeks or Horror Hipsters?

Huh?   Z3-  that's not my rebuttal...lol

DavidDellamorte wrote:

I'm glad I'm not the only one who had a...less than stellar response to this nonsensical post.  I managed to get a six page rant out of it so thats nice:

http://devourtheblog.wordpress.com/2012 … blog-post/

And thank you once again to Dirtygirl for retweeting the original link that spawned my scathing retort and for directing me here to the forums.

Welcome to the Asylum David smile

Ouch, DG, I didn't see the American South comment. 

<===== Georgia Girl

Whew!  Just saw you say that wasn't yours.  smile

Last edited by moviemaven (2012-03-28 19:31:13)

@DirtyGirl oops.. I thought it was on the comment you made on the article.. lol lol I wasn't paying attention. Just noticed that the username for whoever makes a comment is at the bottom and not the top of the comment.. Weird setup. Made it look to me that it was yours. I BOW TO THE MOVIE MASTER lol

Last edited by z3r0c00l (2012-03-28 19:33:44)

I wouldn't diss the South...My Parents were from the South  smile

I appreciate all the positive response to my blog post.

I realize that the person who originally wrote this list was either joking or is genuinely uniformed and decided to get snarky (hey, it is the internet and I'm guilty of that sin myself) but when I read it I was.....outraged isn't the right word for it, but it genuinely annoyed me.

I've suffered enough over the years because of the things I love (Metal, Horror, comics, etc) and it always infuriates me when someone, especially someone who claims to be a part of a particular subculture (or Fandom, whatever you prefer to call it) decides to pull the "Holier than thou" card. Its disgusting in "Polite Society" and it's even worse when it's coming from "Inside". 

I'm well aware that every horror fan is different, we all have different taste in the films that we love, but at our core, we all love the genre and we shouldn't act like children and discriminate against each other because "You don't like the movie I like so You're not a TRUE HORROR FAN! NYAH!"

My girlfriend has taken to calling me a "Horror Connoisseur" (a title I feel is a bit pretentious) because I've spent the better part of my teenage and early (and now mid) twenties with my ass planted in front of a screen, watching the creative nightmares of humanity crawl, claw and shamble across that screen.

I've also spent that same amount of time (and more) reading horror novels and critical dissertations on the genre that I've fallen madly in love with, and while I would never call myself a master of the genre by any means, I am a critical thinking, savvy adult who can wax philosophical about the subtle art of a film like "Hellraiser" and in the same breath talk about how "FUCKING AWESOME" the ending of that film is (if you've seen it, you know exactly what I'm referring to)

Without rehashing my entire blog post, I wrote my rebuttal because I knew if I didn't write it out I would just keep going over it in my mind, and I figured it would make for a pretty good entry for the blog.

@ DirtyGirl, I thought it didn't seem like something you'd say anyway.  I know you're smarter and more thoughtful than that.

That is just as much a broad generalization as anything the original guy said.  If you're arguing against something like that, committing the same crime doesn't make you seem credible. lol

Last edited by moviemaven (2012-03-28 19:39:24)

^^True.

Wait..... Point 9 - this guy needs subs to watch British movies?! Well, that says a lot

^^ lol lol lol I didn't even think about that!!!! Hilarious!

moviemaven wrote:

Why'd you have to bring JAWS into it?  I've never said that about anyone?  But you had to go and point fingers at my fish movie?  Not too cool.

lol

It was just the first movie that I don't like but which most do that popped into my head.  Wasn't implying you have said, or would say, anything like that.  Oh, and speaking of not too cool -- have you seen Jaws lately? big_smile

LoudLon wrote:
moviemaven wrote:

Why'd you have to bring JAWS into it?  I've never said that about anyone.  But you had to go and point fingers at my fish movie?  Not too cool.

lol

It was just the first movie that I don't like but which most do that popped into my head.  Wasn't implying you have said, or would say, anything like that.  Oh, and speaking of not too cool -- have you seen Jaws lately? big_smile

I have but I'll bet you haven't since you aren't a real horror fan.  tongue

Last edited by moviemaven (2012-03-28 21:05:15)

Oh, on the contrary, mon frere.  Believe it or not I picked up the DVD a couple months back thinking I'd give it another chance because I had only ever sat down and watched it completely from beginning to end once, and that was back in high school.

As it turns out, after watching it again, I decided I was right the first time.  Didn't do anything for me.  Though I did enjoy the special features quite a bit.

Look at you.  I'm happy to hear you at least gave it another shot.  smile  Though how you can sit stone-faced through that amazing character study and proclaim it does nothing for ya, I'll never get.  lol

BUT, you tried.  That's all I can ask.  Hence, my Lon crush still burns bright.  wink  xoxo

either way, we love horror...and that's all that matters. wink

god damn us, every one!  tongue

I don't know what we are either, but I really enjoyed the Original blog post.  It was funny, the author seemed to write a lot of it in jest, but I think there is a lot of truth to it too.

Oh my, this turned out fairly awesome.

OK, I'll admit I don't much care what anyone says about me, personally.  I'm sure most of you have seen (and heard on Movie Nights) many things said about me, and I agree with them all! lol  (Except for that one comment disparaging my monkeys  sad  )

I took the article as a whack at our little family here, which I admit is above my providence.

Yeah, I thought everyone would have a thing or two to say about the subject....

You guys are Awesome smile

3 and 9 were my favorites.  I don't think they just apply to horror fans though.

http://i752.photobucket.com/albums/xx165/swollenguy78/mainstre.png

right! serious head on with a bit lighter tones at the end but here are my thoughts and general rules on the subject. i am not sure whether i am a good or bad person, i'm not sure whether i am sane or insane. normal or weird  but one thing i do know is that i love horror, always have done, always will do. Horror is the one genre that does not guarantee you a happy ending, yes they are  there  ( and do have their place) but in my opinion this is the most unpredictable genre. I t may not seem like it sometimes but it is also a wide ranging genre. yes there are some awful ones, some bloody stupid ones, some unnecessacery gore, vomit, shit , violence, sadistic torture just for the sake of it and to cause controversy, but in my humble opinion it is one of the few genres that you can honestly see the love, care and attention and the hard work that has gone into the film, you can't say that about many other genres.
I hate twerps that put down horror fans and think they are sick, twisted, violent, insane monsters. horror fans that i have come across on here and face to face are some of the most honest, family orientated, caring, loving, gentle people you could wish to meet. many times events are discussed on here and people express outrage, horror, anger etc at the fucking cruel, stupid, evil, insane, murderous things that go on in this increasingly fucked up world that is becoming more and more inhabited by completely insensitive, moronic , arrogant, ignorant, twisted, garbage minded , foul ups  that are laughingly referred to as " Humans. yeah, i'm pretty pissed with people in general at the moment and it's getting worse. i'll stop there, i could go on  but won't don't want to bore you ( none of this is directed at anyone on here). just mad at the world and people in general.
let's get back on subject. yes i as a horror fan do regard  some old black and white films  as " Horror Classics " and regard them with repect and not something that should be cast in the bin because it's old, not scary and something that should be laughed at. yup there is and there was plenty of crap made at the same time as the good stuff but that has always been the case and is certainly true for now, there has always been good stuff and total crap. i think that will always be the case.
i couldn't give a flying fuck what people think of me as a horror fan. i know what i like, i know what i don't like. i respect other people's opinion on horror and will never criticise someone with an opinion on horror whether it's completely different to mine or not.
lastly and more tongue in cheek. Lon i often find myself agreeing with you and you are spot on a lot of the time on your opinions of films but i am completely with the beautiful Goddess Maven on "Jaws". it is the best film i have seen in  many years of watching, ( i have seen well over 9,000 films) i have seen it many times and never fail to enjoy it. so dear chap in my opinion you are talking " Bollocks" wink

^^^ Fair enough, man.  Fair enough. lol

If we were to choose between the tags to be identified id say most of us are geeks, because geeks are extremely passionate about their fandom. whether its buying merchandise to wear or decorate with, how in detail we get with said film (or arguments regarding minutia ). we believe in what we do and what we support, we defy the conformity of the masses who blindly follow only the big budget monsters, we look deeper and say, hey i know this isnt what you are usually into but give it a chance its good.

now hipsters will always mean douchebag and poser to me even if its acceptable now, and there are plenty of hipsters too who like to pretend to be more hardcore than they could ever be. buying the horror shirts at hot topic just to make people look at them more (cause they are unique just like the rest of the clones) and feed their attention whoring.

so im fine being thought of as a horror geek, AND a gaming geek and if anyone doesnt like it, suck it.

survivalist wrote:

If we were to choose between the tags to be identified id say most of us are geeks, because geeks are extremely passionate about their fandom. whether its buying merchandise to wear or decorate with, how in detail we get with said film (or arguments regarding minutia ). we believe in what we do and what we support, we defy the conformity of the masses who blindly follow only the big budget monsters, we look deeper and say, hey i know this isnt what you are usually into but give it a chance its good.

now hipsters will always mean douchebag and poser to me even if its acceptable now, and there are plenty of hipsters too who like to pretend to be more hardcore than they could ever be. buying the horror shirts at hot topic just to make people look at them more (cause they are unique just like the rest of the clones) and feed their attention whoring.

so im fine being thought of as a horror geek, AND a gaming geek and if anyone doesnt like it, suck it.

can't argue with that eithier.