Topic: What non-horror movie scared the crap out of you?

For me, the troll in Ernest Scared Stupid and E.T. Nothing scared me more as a kid than the scene with Elliot walking throuh the cornfield! Still creeps me out!!

Re: What non-horror movie scared the crap out of you?

Only things I can come up with are the Skeksis from the "Dark Crystal" and The Nothing from "Neverending Story."  And I wouldn't go so far as "scaring the crap out of me," but you get the point.

I am trying really hard to scan my brain for something but I just can't think of anything.  I know lots of kids have been freaked out by The Wizard of Oz and even WIlly Wonka but those things never bothered me.  Dammit. lol

When I was a young'un Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom freaked me out, and good! Particularly the "feast" scene and the heart ripping scene!

Fire in the Sky. Nothing freaked me out more as a kid than aliens, sounds silly now I suppose but I watched X-Files a lot and that show Sightings. When I seen the tv ads for Fire in the Sky and "based on true events" I was so freaked out I didn't watch the movie until almost 20 years later (watched it a few months ago).

The only non- horror movie that really bothered me was Beloved.   The scene in the shed, specifically.

It's not a scared thing, but I get really disturbed by scenes of male on male rape:  Deliverance, Pulp Fiction, Bad Boys...it twists me up inside for some reason.

One that comes to mind is; Close Encounters Of The Third Kind. Watched it at a Drive-In when it was released. The scene with the aliens coming out the mother ship kinda freaked me out, as a kid.

I don't know if I was so much "Scared" as I was disturbed, but after finishing "The Heart is Deceitful Above All Things" directed and starring Asia Argento I felt like I needed a bleach shower for my soul. Holy Shit if you haven't seen that film it's pretty soul crushing. I've only ever watched it once, though I do own it on DVD.

^ yes.

I did a top ten here a few moons ago citing 10 films I found frightening outside of horror;
Heart took a seat in it, if you're interested  smile

http://www.horror-movies.ca/horror_16565.html

I don't have many wares to pimp, but the few I do I'll too kindly whore.  lol

Well written list. I've only seen "The Heart" so far, but a few of those films are on my lists of "Shit to watch"

"Mysterious Skin" was another film that comes to mind that gut punched me by its end, and I want to say "Sherry Baby" as well, but I only saw it the once after it came out on DVD (I worked for video stores for 2 years, best two years of retail ever) so my memory is a bit hazy on that one.

yeah I've seen Mysterious Skin.  I did consider it.   pretty big Araki fan in general.

Mysterious Skin was such an out of left field movie for me (one of the many I saw because I got free rentals) that I bought it on DVD as soon as I could. Amazing film, and I think the first film with Joseph Gordon Levitt that I had seen after seeing him almost exclusively in 3rd Rock from the Sun.

That Willy Wonka remake, aside from being a complete piece of shit and waste of time it had this creepy pedo vibe to the movie. not scary but just uncomfortable like that weird guy in a long coat loitering by the grade school vibe.

The wicked witch in The Wizard of Oz. Dear baby Jesus she is freaky, that scares me more than pretty much any horror film I've seen!

Oh, and ET used to scare me when I was a ikkle kid

Now that I'm actually at home and able to look at my collection (lol laptop) and the 3 movies that I can name (having now looked again) that are scary in their own ways are

-River's Edge
-The Quiet
-The Night Listener
(and one I don't yet own)
-One Hour Photo

River's Edge is such a bleak fucking movie with some genuinely creep performances (Dennis Hopper and Daniel Roebuck stand out). Highly recommended if you haven't seen it, easily one of my absolute favorite late 80's films

The Quiet is more of a disturbing/depressing story about how "The Perfect Family" is hardly ever perfect.

The Night Listener is one of those few really, really good "Serious" Robin Williams films, and it's a bizarre and creepy story.

One Hour Photo is another Robin Williams movie where Williams goes off the deep end of FUCKING CREEPY.

Certain Scenes in Pinochio were pretty scary when i was little.

I remember being five and watching Ernest Scared Stupid.
That movie scared me stupid.

HAaaa.  hee. hooo.

Ah (coughs).

Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer.
I always thought the abominable was scary as a kid...and even a bit now lol. I mean he lost all his teeth by the end but I just don't trust that guy, I believe his mean streak lives on.

Last edited by Vamp_Slayer (2012-03-30 09:41:40)

The Day After (1983).  Kept me up for a week.

The flying monkeys from the Wizard of Oz still creep me out, too.

Two Disney movies

The Black Hole: There is a scene where it doesn’t it show it but you hear the robot (scary as shit Maximilian) pureeing a dudes guts he has pinned to a wall. The not seeing but hearing made it so much worse.

Dragon Slayer: There are o few scenes were you know the dragon is coming and the buildup is frightening. I remember watching this in the theater and when the dragon was dead on the ground at the end I really felt relief.

Oh and my mom still likes to tell people about when she took me to see Popeye. When the octopus was about to grab sweat pea I stood up and (in four yo talk) yelled for Popeye to kick his ass and save Sweat pea.

Last edited by swollenguy (2012-03-30 13:47:04)

Jurassic park scared the fuck out of me when i was 10. The effects for those dinosaurs looked so damn realistic and still hold up today, even better than a lot of CGI today such as in the CGI in The Thing 'prequel'

swollenguy wrote:

Oh and my mom still likes to tell people about when she took me to see Popeye. When the octopus was about to grab sweat pea I stood up and (in four yo talk) yelled for Popeye to kick his ass and save Sweat pea.

AWWW LOL I saw that in the theater as well.  smile  I then proceeded to sing "and he's laaaarge" all the way home and for the next week.

Day  After- I try not to think of that; nor the book.  <Shivers>

Dark City- Those guys were creepy, especially the kid.

The monster of a film that is Twilight scares me and pisses me off in equal measure.

Last edited by Vasquez (2012-03-30 18:29:43)

Vasquez wrote:

Twilight scares me and makes me randy  in equal measure.
http://i1039.photobucket.com/albums/a475/BunnyZara123/0018g0kk.gif

ok