Re: Are we Horror Geeks or Horror Hipsters?

I think labels in general pigeonhole people and lead to the “us against them” outlook. Sure I love horror movies but I love a lot of other stuff too.  And sure there was that time Lon and Dead horse got snowed in together in a dingy motor lodge with rooms that looked like tepees. All they had to keep warm was a case of Boones Strawberry field and each other, some people would label and judge, not me.

Me?  I'm just cursing the fact that I missed out on that.

A few days removed from this whole mess now, I still stand by what I said in my rebuttal, but I generally feel that no matter what we do, because we are horror fans, we will always be one of the "Bastard children" of society.  Stupid people will try and claim that horror films will turn you into a serial killer (which they don't), and we will continue to get strange looks from people because we have a passion for something "Strange".

Being a Horror fan isn't any different than being a Sci-Fi fan or an Anime fan or a Metal fan, or any other fan. We have our subgroups (gore-hounds, etc) and we may never all get along (Horror fans I mean) but the one thing that unites is is our love of Horror films.  I'm no better than anyone on this forum because I know more (or less) about parts of the genre.

And to clarify the whole "Hipster" definintion issue:

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Hipster

Someone who listens to bands you've never heard of, wears ironic tee-shirts, and believes they are better than you.

There are plenty of other definitions on there that all basically sum of the "Hipster" movement.

Are there hipsters within the horror community? Probably. Are there "Tourists" (people who associate with a fandom simply to get attention) unfortunately yes, but I have no interest in hunting them down and casting them out, I simply don't associate with them.

Pretension unfortunately flows throughout every fandom, and I've learned over the years the best way to deal with it is to just ignore the dumb bastards and enjoy yourself.

Beautifully put.  smile

I think you should be beautifully putting a demo in my inbox :-P (I keed I keed)

Seriously though, Thank you, I realize that I've come a long way over the last 8 or 9 years that I've become heavily active in the "Horror Community" from a raging young adult who stamped his foot and screamed about every remake to the much calmer, more thoughtful 26 year old I am now (God I'm sooooooo old) and my philosophy regarding the communities (horror and music etc) that I involve myself in has been, very simply put, "Stupid People are everywhere" and if I want to enjoy myself, it's best to just ignore them and move along then get all riled up and angry (though letting myself get riled up does have it's advantages as I got a pretty good article out of it)

I am totally a horror hipster, but that is just because i am a hipster in real life anyway tongue lol

lol JJ, the first step to recovery is admitting you have a problem.   

In all seriousness though, I don't mind the title "Horror Geek"  I don't see anything wrong with that.  I think it just means you are passionate about that subject.

I didn't find the blog post offensive in any way really, he clearly stated that he was guilty of the same things he wrote about.

It seems to me that the whole thing stems from the Battle Royale vs The Hunger Games thing. By the way Az, that's what he was talking about for his #3. I myself am guilty of comparing the two films, because they have a similar plot. Yes, there are some differences between them obviously but the basic simple ideas are similar. But I am not uninterested in The Hunger Games for that reason, mainly its because its rated pg-13 and it really didn't look like a horror movie to me, those reasons combined with the fact that it has that same basic plot as not only BR but other films/books (lord of the flies, the condemed, running man, the gamer, death race) is reason enough for me to show little interest.

Oh that reminds me of a really good article I read comparing the two...

http://ossuary.best-horror-movies.com/m … a-Rip-Off-

DirtyGirl wrote:

Never said it was a problem, is it soooo bad to enjoy a nice cardigan tongue

ChainSaW80 wrote:

It seems to me that the whole thing stems from the Battle Royale vs The Hunger Games thing. By the way Az, that's what he was talking about for his #3. ...

Ah, I probably should have caught that.  Monkey fail.

As for 'Hunger Games,' I've heard good stuff from reviewers I trust.  Plus UnderDog gave it an 8/10.  Can't go wrong with the Dog.

JJ wrote:
DirtyGirl wrote:

As long as you wear the cute glasses with it  smile

DavidDellamorte wrote:

...to the much calmer, more thoughtful 26 year old I am now (God I'm sooooooo old)...

I'm forty.  Don't make me smack you. lol

Well said, though.  All you can really do is ignore the stupid people; no matter how hard you try, you (the collective you) are never going to change anyone's mind, especially today, when thanks to the internet even stupid people feel their opinion matters.

Newsflash: not everyone's does.  Regardless of how entitled to an opinion someone feels, there's a massive, massive difference between an opinion and an informed opinion.  I will always be of the mind that it's a person's right to state their opinion, but if it's uninformed I'd just as soon they kept their mouth shut.

azathoth wrote:
ChainSaW80 wrote:

It seems to me I have been watching a Penguin vs a polar bear on divorces court, so the acid is kicking in. You know that polar bear put up with a lot I hope she gets the kids and takes the house. ...

Ah, I stopped doing LSD after that incident at the ‘White Swallow’ a bar down by the docks. They still won’t let me back inside.

a bit off topic yet I want to hear more

DirtyGirl wrote:

Oh that reminds me of a really good article I read comparing the two...

http://ossuary.best-horror-movies.com/m … a-Rip-Off-

I started to read it DG, then I realized how long it was lol

But I got the general idea, and for the record I'm pretty sure I have never said Hunger Games was a ripoff of BR or any other film. That would be like calling every zombie movie to come out after 1968 a ripoff. I simply compared the similarities in the premise and stated it didn't really interest me. I have never read the books, nor did I even know about the books till recently. I knew of the movie because of coverage on certain horror movie websites which confused me after aren't the trailer since it looked nothing like horror.

The movie is getting awesome reviews everywhere, I will definitely see Hunger Games when it hits video. But since we only get to visit the theaters 2 or 3 times a year I will pass until then.

Last edited by ChainSaW80 (2012-03-30 20:33:46)

DirtyGirl wrote:
JJ wrote:
DirtyGirl wrote:

As long as you wear the cute glasses with it  smile

haha i totally do tongue

Well, this thread w/the links and responses was quite a bit of reading, but this turned out to be a very thoughtful subject to ponder on. I love it when HM proves it can joke around and still be capable of critical thinking at the same time....love this forum.

I'm not sure I understand the recent big comeback or maybe re-invention of the word 'hipster', but this term is everywhere! I had to Urban dictionary it (somebody posted a link to it a page back, too), and having read it, the term makes sense to me, and I know the subculture of people they're referring too. So, having a clear definition helps a lot.

I suppose that there probably are 'hipsters' in the horror community, people who watch obscure films & wear horror merchandise just to be 'cool' or to get attention. Though, obviously, the author of the article is certainly not talking about anyone of us here. I think every member of HM loves the genre because they love the genre, not because they think 'it's cool to love the genre'. And really, what the hell is 'cool' anyway? The opinions definitely vary regarding what's in and what's out, what's hip and what's not. So it's just a subjective term....to me, cool is The Man With No Name, or Christopher Lee in the Horror of Dracula, or Stuntman Mike of Death Proof. Others will have different perceptions of that word, but more importantly the desire to be 'cool' just to get attention from others (aka, not really being yourself) is incredibley lame and dumb.

I'm not a fan of labeling people either, but if I were to give myself one, I would be content with "horror geek" or "horror nerd". I'd be proud to have that title, actually.
'Hipster', or poser, is an entirely different thing. Those who watch because they think it's cool to do so, and those who watch because they love watching it. That's the difference...

This is what the hipsters look like Canada....

http://i854.photobucket.com/albums/ab101/DirtyGirlMovies/hipster-20091203-1437191.jpg

http://i854.photobucket.com/albums/ab101/DirtyGirlMovies/Hipsterbingo.jpg

I live in a University city so they are everywhere  smile

So do I.  smile  And this is hilarious.

However, I take offense to a few things.  For one, if you're over thirty and wearing some of this stuff, I don't think it's fair to be classified as a hipster because you are actually old enough to remember wearing it the first time and are genuinely nostalgic.  Okay, at least over 35...because I do...some of it.  And some of it is just ridiculous.  lol

Also, PBR and Parliaments are CHEAP.  That's where that comes from.  lol  I still drink PBR when I go out and, thanks to the townies, it's still around in every Athens bar.

Last edited by moviemaven (2012-03-31 10:42:00)

The Creature wrote:

I suppose that there probably are 'hipsters' in the horror community, people who watch obscure films & wear horror merchandise just to be 'cool' or to get attention. Though, obviously, the author of the article is certainly not talking about anyone of us here. I think every member of HM loves the genre because they love the genre, not because they think 'it's cool to love the genre'.

This is exactly what I think.  I think the first part of that ^ is what the author was referring too, in what was supposed to be a fun way.  Good call Creech.

Dirty - No offense, and I'm not trying to start a world war, but the hipsters in the States are much more hip than those in that pic.  smile

Last edited by Ghostseeker (2012-03-31 11:08:06)

Well I hope everyone knows I am just having fun with this thread smile
Yes I wear my horror tees , converse, and like to talk about old horror movies with anyone that will listen to me!  Ha 

I don't take any of this stuff including the first article seriously.  I just thought it was funny he was defining horror fans as horror hipsters!

moviemaven wrote:

However, I take offense to a few things.  For one, if you're over thirty and wearing some of this stuff, I don't think it's fair to be classified as a hipster because you are actually old enough to remember wearing it the first time and are genuinely nostalgic.  Okay, at least over 35...because I do...some of it.  And some of it is just ridiculous.  lol

I agree there, i wore some of that stuff in days gone by.
but parliaments? seriously? those are what grandma`s smoke lmao.

@Mavie- Do you folks have Yuengling beer down there yet?  If so, try the lager.  Yum.  Sometimes I hate not drinking.