Topic: Recap- HM Movie Night #14- Early Peter Jackson

Well, that was one heck of an evening/morning!  Between the early arrivals and the into-the-morning chat, we went on for 10 hours.  Of course, I had to take a nap in between the two movies (we never got around to 'Meet the Feebles.')

Movies:
Dead Alive (1992)
Bad Taste (1987)

(Link to podcasts)

Participants:
azathoth
Creature
Deadhorse
DirtyGirl
HorrorQueen
how do
LoudLon
MovieMaven
RevengeBiteMe
Wolfy
Vampy
ZeroCool

Honorable Mention- The SnoreMonster

This was the biggest turnout overall since Halloween Fest '11!  Unfortunately some (HQ & Wolfy) had equipment problems and had to bow out early, as did some others for various reasons.  But it was great having them there even for a little bit of time.  Vampy wandered in and out several times, including the one time she had to wake me up.  For those who were not there, 'how do' is one of my oldest friends who asked to sit in (big Peter Jackson fan, not so much of horror in general).  He didn't run away screaming, so next we'll have to try harder.  lol

We started off with 'Dead Alive,' which led to an almost immediate discussion of whether the Sumatran Rat Monkey was cute or not.  It was kind of lop sided to the 'not' camp.  We discussed what a wimp Lionel was, proper baby care when taking one to a park, and conducted a seminar on "The Many Common Things In Your House That Can Be Used to Cut Up Zombies."

After this, we were waiting for MrHowDo to show up, who unbeknownst to us had fallen asleep after his son's birthday part.  So we were talking about various things until I dozed off, while the others talked about HM and writing.  Once I woke up we we talked about HM members' blogs.  One was DirtyGirl's blog, and a certain picture on it.

A while ago, DG had made a collage of various movie covers/posters of films she had recently watched.  We spent a good 90+ minutes trying to figure out which every single one was.  If anyone can identify the orange one in the top right corner, we would all be much obliged.

Around 2AM MrHowDo showed up, and we commenced with 'Bad Taste.'  None of us had seen the film in years, so we kept getting "I forgot about that" moments.  Especially me and the dang Beatles' car.  The film took 4 years to complete, being done on weekends, so we picked out the various continuity problems.  In one scene, which lasted from 60-90 seconds, Barry changes his clothes, resulting in 6 or 7 different outfits.  We decided that Ozzy was there just for the power of his hair, and if Frank didn't light up that damn cigar we were going to go back in time and steal it from him (he finally did).  And the human anatomy of the brain just doesn't work like that.

So after exploding a sheep, we started talking about music from classic rock to present day.  That led (somehow) to 1970's TV shows, such as the awesome 'Bigfoot and Wildboy'.  Here is the intro to the show. Yes, we were getting a little plucky by this point.  After some more random chit-chatting and my misspelling of chimichanga and confusing Cheech Marin with a Japanese actor, it being just shy of 6AM, we called it quits.

We never did get around to 'Meet the Feebles,' so I'll keep that in the queue for some later date.

Much fun was had by all, and my thanks goes out to all those who participated, even if only for a short time.  After such a great turnout, I've decided that this will not be the last Movie Night.  The next one won't be for a while, but I will let everyone know when I have an idea of what and when.

Thanks again!
-Aza

Here is the link to the podcasts.

https://2691532974971049855-a-1802744773732722657-s-sites.googlegroups.com/site/hmmovienight14peterjackson/home/Dead_Alive.jpg?attachauth=ANoY7conHM_gKCiT8UGPp9vT-QywyK5kaeNcaKAwmHGTG8_7WhEHvDplOIsB5p4CUV7YoTjPfgp8BuztyGqjAONrrynezV78ea7aeCy7mk9Yj1N-lJ15horaPDoj-HOi6Vr_dqXKzZabwHK2wZ8bT70lfg8rGhtWJcfVeY88eXthmGlQQ0jStARe397GNDbUupy_Zh_Awk6tg6gm4JJ053ijoJS5uV-KRX9vCihADjCmYWzs1IK82aI%3D&attredirects=0  https://2691532974971049855-a-1802744773732722657-s-sites.googlegroups.com/site/hmmovienight14peterjackson/home/Bad_Taste.jpg?attachauth=ANoY7crx36C1yZ9OxbuXlxCe116OTFxy_uSJAfnaFOVeI8O6ahwb8Kgy1gC-c1qzWN0EEz1giRoJqmiw8lSkipjm00jbqxHckJVxi2qkG0gdMZ9a45LK_AcHlIYyN_ekI_Ptw4xVY7B91F3j-8UUt_KV4yN3ztuZXSdKDnSiaGTYqN8Q9sdRTNYYQc6Q6ZxmX4GMGpInA3QS6XiNzxjZ6uOeS5bXnrc-8BKQ3o2N6ma-uD1dcFEcdBI%3D

Last edited by azathoth (2012-04-01 09:02:04)

Re: Recap- HM Movie Night #14- Early Peter Jackson

Ooh, so glad this won't be the last movie night. Sweet.

I had fun. Should have stuck around for Bad Taste though!

Sorry about being a numpty with the mic last night guys, I'd love to join in another one when I've bought (or most likely, stolen from my brother) a better mic. Although how much you'll be able to understand my accent I'm not sure!

Love movie nights, they are such an awesome idea x

Thanks for the fun night everyone.  looking forward to the next one smile

yeah, I've missed quite a few of these the last few months, so I must thank maven (xoxo) for requesting my presence, even though I never could figure out DG's damned "70's orange" poster image.  lol  Had fun guys, hope to be a part of the next one as well  smile

^^I thought I was going to be able to save the day with that poster... I failed lol

- Sorry I had to check out so many times.. When I was there it was fun. I HAVE to get a mic.

Someone sent me this as a possible for the missing cover.

http://thefilmnest.com/wp-content/uploa … r_ver2.jpg

Unless 70's orange is actually pink, that ain't it. lol

Not a chance.

I'll wait until someone figures out that poster that I posted above...

well it says april 1st so I am assuming its a joke for april fools lol

^^
Not bad.  But can you find the proof?  big_smile

http://www.britposters.com/images/the%20dunwich%20horror%20320x240.jpg

^^
Already checked, the text (from DG's collage) doesn't match up anywhere in this poster.

http://www.vintagemovieposters.co.uk/sh … nsmall.jpg ?

So I think I need to make another collage for us to obsess over smile 

Also,  I just want to throw out some suggestions for next movie night...  How about Tucker and Dale Vs Evil and Sean of the Dead?  Or another comedy?...

I love tucker and dale!!!

Me too

Comedy Horror Night- I like that idea. Tucker & Dale, Shaun of Dead, Zombieland(?).

Any other suggestions?  I like the 3 movie format, and I'm thinking of doing at least one 4 movie Night, starting at 5PM so our British friends could hang out for a film since they go to bed so early. tongue

Blood bath at the house of death is a good one.

Here's some comedy horror suggestions

Young Frankenstein
       Carry On Screaming
         The House On Nightmare Park
           Doghouse
            Burke and Hare
            Scary Movie 4 ( the best of the series IMO)
             My Best Friend's A Vampire
              Werewolf Of Washington

DirtyGirl wrote:

So I think I need to make another collage for us to obsess over smile 

Also,  I just want to throw out some suggestions for next movie night...  How about Tucker and Dale Vs Evil and Sean of the Dead?  Or another comedy?...

i'll be watching " Tucker and Dale vs Evil" on wednesday.

wolfman1959 wrote:

Here's some comedy horror suggestions

Young Frankenstein
       Carry On Screaming
         The House On Nightmare Park
           Doghouse
            Burke and Hare
            Scary Movie 4 ( the best of the series IMO)
             My Best Friend's A Vampire
              Werewolf Of Washington

Oh yeah!  Young Frankenstein!!!!  Awesome smile

Wolfy with the win with 'Young Frankenstein!"  I'll make that the 5PM movie so we can chat over it.  I like.

DEFINITELY Young Frankenstein.  One of my absolute favorite comedies.

"Igor, will you help me with the bags?"
"Sure, you take the blond, I'll take the one in the turban." lol