Re: Devour the Podcast Unofficial/Official Thread (now featuring Maven)

^^
I am now subscribed.  Currently downloading all the 'casts.

it was ok. Jamie was great as always. i find myself agreeing with Dave on two counts the two texas chainsaw massacre films aren't that bad. the halloween series isn't that good.podcast spent too long on Insidious and it's an ok film iMO  but not greatrand it's not scary.

Cool podcast, guys. So cool to hear Maven on there too....looking forward to the future episodes.

Oh, and all the sound bits from the movies are a neat touch.

Listened to the last two.  Nice job David and Maven.  I too think playing the trailer is cool.  David, I think you were right to bring on a co-host.  Brings a lot to the show.  Even more considering it's Maven.

I'd say the early episodes (especially the first 3 that have terrible audio) were a good start, but I kinda knew I needed a co-host to really bring the show to it's potential, because as much as I enjoy talking to myself, it gets boring as shit.

The trailers before the movies was both an artistic choice and (initially) a "How do I stretch out the show" idea. And in the case of the "Prime Evil" trailer, it gives a perfect example of how utterly silly the dialouge was.

There will be more stuff going into the show as things progress, as I'm looking to get some interviews and other segments.

Ghostseeker wrote:

Listened to the last two.  Nice job David and Maven.  I too think playing the trailer is cool.  David, I think you were right to bring on a co-host.  Brings a lot to the show.  Even more considering it's Maven.

she brings a lot to anything. just listening to her makes me go all gooey and dreamy! ( sigh) xxx

Listened to the latest podcast today...Great job you two. 

-I also enjoyed An American Horror Story, I thought it was very unique TV show.  I am interested in seeing what they do next year, as they seemed to finish that story off very well. 

-I haven't enjoyed the Platinum Dunes remakes either...I guess we'll see what happens with Halloween now.  But considering Halloween has already been remade, why bother?  Why can't they pick a movie that had a good story but wasn't directed well to remake?

-You guys make me want to watch primevil now....lol

-The scariest scene in Insidious for me was when they show the demon on the ceiling...freaked me out the first time I saw it smile   Maven, I liked how you said if you can't find anything that scares you, then why even bother.  How rare is it to even find anything scary anymore?  That's awesome smile

So keep up the good work guys smile

Thanks so much, DG.  smile

I'm happy to report when things scare the shit out of me.  It's what I crave.  It's the dragon I chase.  If I can't get it, then I'm wasting my time (meaning if I could NEVER get it.  The genre is never a waste of time).  I would watch horror anyway (always have, always will) but when I get validated with a good scare, I'm a happy camper. 

And, just to be clear to anyone who may think otherwise, my horror catalog is large.  I've seen more movies than most people will forget and I will watch just about anything.  The fact that I can still get scared makes me no less a horror buff than anyone else.  However, I make it a point to let myself go where the director wishes to take me.  When I watch a movie, I'm in the hands of the filmmaker.  I don't try to predict, I don't try to rationalize until it's over.  I just...go.  Consequently I have a much better time in the theater than many who feel the need to pick everything apart while watching it.  Why fuck up your own experience?  For whom do you need to look smart?  So you beat the movie.  Big whoop.  You also failed to have fun. 

The best movie-going experience in the world is when you can sink into it and pretend you're right there.  Nothing else exists outside of that film.  This worked WONDERS with Open Water.  This is also why I get extremely irritated when people talk in the theater and I have become deadly with my candy aim.  I will pelt a bitch.  Woe to those who may choose to pull me out of my zone.  Just sayin.

Think about that.

Edit - Parenthetical in first paragraph

Last edited by moviemaven (2012-04-10 09:38:06)

RavieMavie wrote:

So you beat the movie.  Big whoop.  You also failed to have fun.

Ding ding ding ding!!!
So spoketh the wise one. (her, not me)

Last edited by azathoth (2012-04-10 08:56:08)

Maven -  Loved your last post!  I wanted to quote a few lines from it, but the most of it resonates with me.  I agree with so much of what you wrote.  I only differ (which is ok) that no scare = waste of time.  I used to feel like that, but there are so few scares, that that would mean almost all horror is a waste.  Other than that...I couldn't agree with your post more.  I love there are others out there in search of that elusive scare!

Dirty - Yes, yes and yes!  Scare is so rare.  It is what I search for, and like you wrote, what is so difficult to find.  Insidious was one of those rare movies for me.  For me, it was the ending when dude confronted the old woman.  Just the scene of her, standing there laughing. 

When I was a kid, my sister put on a witch mask and hid in my closet.  She didn't do anything, just left it open a crack and stared out at me till I finally noticed.  Scared the hell out of me.  Reminds me of that scene in Insidious.  For weeks I thought that dam woman was in my closet! Love it.  smile

Ghostseeker wrote:

I only differ (which is ok) that no scare = waste of time.  I used to feel like that, but there are so few scares, that that would mean almost all horror is a waste.

I do go on to say that I have always and will always watch horror.  That really should read that without the possibility of a scare...  because that is why I love the genre so much.  When it does hit, it hits hard.  big_smile

^^
In general, most "scares" have devolved into jump scares for the past decade (2?).  The jump vs. subtle argument has been discussed many times on Movie Nights.  Here's one that grabbed me hard- in 'Brotherhood of the Wolf,' about 2/3rds through there is a night time scene and the wolf is slowly creeping across the background.  Yes, that was a "jump" when I finally saw it, but when I rewound, it had been there for a good 15 seconds- I just didn't notice it til then.  Or did I subconsciously?

I guess it depends on what everyone finds to be "scary."  Of course it's subjective to each person.  But I'm still on board with Mavie that I'm watching something to be entertained.  That level can vary from 'infuriating' to 'awesome,' but I want to wait to break it down later, because if you're judging a film as you watch it, who knows what good points you may be missing?

Agreed Maven!  The main point of my post was that I agreed with your post.  I also loved you on the podcast.  If we are going to continue this relationship we are going to have to work on our communication skills!  smile

Az - I've written this several times here, but IMHO, movies go out of their way to not be scary.  So many times there will be a tense scene, and I'll be ready to be scared and they will pull out and ruin it.  That said, I am not saying that is right or wrong or anything like that.  Like you wrote, it is all subjective.  Way to use Brotherhood as an example!

Love the pod cast D and Mav!!!!

maybe it’s good we have to wade through so much crap to find a scare. I love fishing but if i went out and had an epic day/catching every time my line hit the water, it might ruin it. We do lose some of the 1st time magic after we see it for the 2nd time. Regardless of subjectivity maybe if we were inundated with really scary films it would ruin the magic a little.

2nd thought nah it wouldnt  I am full of bs as usually.

Ghostseeker wrote:

Agreed Maven!  The main point of my post was that I agreed with your post.  I also loved you on the podcast.  If we are going to continue this relationship we are going to have to work on our communication skills!  smile

I realize that but I felt it needed more detail.  You brought it to my attention.  But I will make an effort to be more clear in the future between us.  Can't jeopardize something so special.

a gree with Aza that scares are subjective to each person. we are all different. when i was younger ( many years ago) i used to have a chill go through me whenever a skeleton appeared on screen. it didn't have to move or do anything just seeing it would do it to me. it doesn't now but it did. the other was when a couple were going to kiss and the woman turned out to be a vampire and showed her fangs and hissed and then bit his neck.i remember i had a vivid dream when that happened to me and i woke up screaming and in a sweat. Also agree with Jamie about getting irritated with people shouting, talking and generally thinking they are being smart  when they are being an arsehole. it seems to happen everytime now, hence i don't go much these days ( been twice in the last year and my experience with idiots when i went to see " The Woman In Black" recently didn't exactly endure me to hurry back. i have no wish to hear from the people in front who they shagged last night, and no i'm not intrested in seeing a picture of your boyfriend waving his prick about to the camera" i want and have paid good money to watch a fucking film". it's enough to make me furry hairs bristle and one of these days if it keeps happening i'm going to howl " Bollocks to the lot of you"! smile. i honestly don't know why some people bother going to the cinema when they obviously have no intrest in the film. ok i can accept people making out but at least in my experience they are quiet about it. rant over. smile

^^I love the way you British say BOLLOCKS!!! Such a fun word.... BOLLOCKS!!!!!!!!!! Anyway, I'm loading up iTunes now to subscribe and look forward to listening!

I've only had the pleasure of talking to mavie once on skype (well, her talking and me typing) and it was fun! So, this should be a blast to listen too.

z3r0c00l wrote:

^^I love the way you British say BOLLOCKS!!! Such a fun word.... BOLLOCKS!!!!!!!!!!

i know all you Amercians seem to like it. it's what we Brits do best smile

z3r0c00l wrote:

I've only had the pleasure of talking to mavie once on skype (well, her talking and me typing) and it was fun! So, this should be a blast to listen too.

Well, thanks, Darlin.  I think we are pretty funny, myself.  I just let it all out.  I cuss a lot, I bitch, I complain, I DO laugh too much, though.

lol You're all hardcore -n- shit, so you can do whatever you want! lol lol

Hey, that's right!  Well, until Insidious reduces me to a pussy.  lol

^^I guess I'm a weirdo. I didn't think Insidious was scary at all. Not to say it wasn't a good movie, because I LOVED it. I just didn't find it scary.

maven's new avatar makes her look like a crazy 70's horror actress. me Likey.

oh...and I bookmarked the page!

Last edited by aceofspades70 (2012-04-11 00:32:10)

LOL Thanks, Ace.  smile

I think we got a good discussion out of "Insidious". I didn't find it really "Scary", but it was a well made film, with fantastic acting, an original story and some genuinely creepy moments to it.

Truth be told (and if you all stick around with the show long enough) not much really scares me anymore, and when I do manage to find a movie that scares me, I'm not ashamed to come right out and say it.

Just happens that 99% of the time, a movie doesn't scare me.

New episode recording tomorrow (or today, depending on when your reading this)

"Retardead" and "House of the Devil" (which I'm about to watch now because I put it off)