Re: Devour the Podcast Unofficial/Official Thread (now featuring Maven)

I'm with you on the 99 percent estimation.  As much as I would like for it to happen more often, I can count on one hand the movies that have severely impacted me over my lifetime.  I'm always in search of new ones, though. 

Can't wait to hear what you think of House.  I think tomorrow night will be a great show!

Loved House of the Devil...It will be interesting to hear what you guys think smile

House of the devil is ok but it ain't scary. mind you if you look like me, nothing's scary except a mirror hmm

I didn't see anyone say it was scary, Wolfie.

moviemaven wrote:

I didn't see anyone say it was scary, Wolfie.

it proberly scared you.   wuss! ( runs off quickly) tongue   LOL   XXX

Retract that.  You had your one shot.

sorry i retract that. hmm   you're not like this when we're picking pansies together.

Last edited by wolfman1959 (2012-04-11 15:30:36)

wolfman1959 wrote:

sorry i retract that. hmm   you're not like this when we're picking pansies together.

wink xoxo

moviemaven wrote:

However, I make it a point to let myself go where the director wishes to take me.  When I watch a movie, I'm in the hands of the filmmaker.  I don't try to predict, I don't try to rationalize until it's over.  I just...go.  Consequently I have a much better time in the theater than many who feel the need to pick everything apart while watching it.  Why fuck up your own experience?  For whom do you need to look smart?  So you beat the movie.  Big whoop.  You also failed to have fun. 

The best movie-going experience in the world is when you can sink into it and pretend you're right there.  Nothing else exists outside of that film.  This worked WONDERS with Open Water.  This is also why I get extremely irritated when people talk in the theater and I have become deadly with my candy aim.  I will pelt a bitch.  Woe to those who may choose to pull me out of my zone.  Just sayin.

Think about that.

Edit - Parenthetical in first paragraph

Very well said, I could not agree more with this. To often people over think or over analyze a film thats just meant to be simple and entertaining. I too, like to get into a "zone" whole watching a film, for me it's kind off an "escape" from reality to relax my body and my mind.

I agree the best way to experience a film is to just let go and go for the ride, but sometimes (especially if it's something I plan on reviewing) I have to watch things with a bit more of a critical eye, and sometimes it's really hard to shut that off.

With some movies, I can do both, enjoy the ride I'm being taken on, while keeping short mental notes of what I think of various things, but most often I try roll with the movie and keep the critic on the back burner.

If I'm seeing a movie in the theater, I find it much easier to just settle in and roll with what's happening, but if the movie isn't keeping me totally enamored (which lets be honest, happens with even the best movies) I can get a little critical.

Best example was when I went to see "The Dark Knight", at first I thought "Jesus, this is kinda silly, I mean I'm watching a movie about a guy dressed up as a bat, fighting crime" and then I got swept up in everything and was lost in the movie.

Sometimes it's those crucial first few minutes of a film that can make the difference of whether or not I'm totally immersed or not.

DavidDellamorte wrote:

I agree the best way to experience a film is to just let go and go for the ride, but sometimes (especially if it's something I plan on reviewing) I have to watch things with a bit more of a critical eye, and sometimes it's really hard to shut that off.

Of course.  Critical eye aside.  I know what that's like.  I am referring to attempting to predict the ending or "beat" the movie by figuring it out.

I can watch movies all day long, take notes in my head, and still enjoy myself.  wink

Edit:  I keep leaving out words like a dumbass. GAH!

Last edited by moviemaven (2012-04-12 13:43:47)

Ah Gotcha. I'm not usually that into "Guessing" the ending of a movie, though there are times when it's telegraphed way too early on and it's sort of sad.

"The Hills Run Red" is a good example of a movie that threw a left turn at me that made we go "WHAT THE FUCK?" in a good way (anyone who's seen it, lets keep the spoilers out of it)

You know, I still haven't seen that.  I heard bad things.  sad  I should fix that, though.

The Hills Run Red had mad potential, it was a good story and had plenty of room to make it quite harrowing and gruesome, but in the end it played it way too safe IMO.
It is worth a watch, though.

Finally listened to the podcast.  I especially enjoyed the discussion of Halloween and other slasher flicks.  But I didn't listen to the Insidious part of the discussion because I haven't seen it yet and didn't want it spoiled for me.  lol

Good job, guy and gal. smile

The Hills Run Red didn't do anything for me, I was expecting a regular "old school" style slasher. And while yeah, it throws you a curve ball toward the end, which was nifty but the twist it takes was still lame to me and unoriginal. For me that curveball coulda been something great but ultimately I was let down, I woulda rather seen a masked brute lumbering around slaughtering teens than what we ended up with.

I wholly disagree with you there Chainsaw, if HRR had been just another "Lumbering Slasher" I wouldn't have been as impressed with it as I was.

And, for those unaware, the film was heavily cut by the studio (which is why there's only an R-rated version available) and the director was....less than pleased with the situation. I can't give a whole lot of details (frankly I just don't have all of them) but that was what I was told by a source.

^^I'm going to have to check this out! I think it's still on Netflix IW.

EDIT: I stand corrected.. It is not..

Last edited by z3r0c00l (2012-04-12 19:38:49)

DavidDellamorte wrote:

I wholly disagree with you there Chainsaw, if HRR had been just another "Lumbering Slasher" I wouldn't have been as impressed with it as I was.

And, for those unaware, the film was heavily cut by the studio (which is why there's only an R-rated version available) and the director was....less than pleased with the situation. I can't give a whole lot of details (frankly I just don't have all of them) but that was what I was told by a source.

***********SPOILER ALERT***********

Just my opinion, but. What I got from the film was the first half; a similar setup of a "old school" type slasher but ended up with a twist that again IMO, was a rehashing of House of 1000 Corpses or Hostel.

Maybe at the time i watched THRR these films and others were still fresh in my mind, so to me it just
felt like while the change up toward the end was cool, it offered nothing new or original and I was disappointed.

LoudLon wrote:

Finally listened to the podcast.  I especially enjoyed the discussion of Halloween and other slasher flicks.  But I didn't listen to the Insidious part of the discussion because I haven't seen it yet and didn't want it spoiled for me.  lol

Good job, guy and gal. smile

Thanks, Darlin.  You should totally watch it then listen.  You can hear all about how I peed my pants.  LOL

New episode is up a day early.

Retardead and House of the Devil are the reviews, along with a mini review of Piranha 3D(not in 3d) and other rambling nonsense

That was fun.  I talked WAY too much, sorry about that.  I need to learn to shut up but it's hard when it comes to horror.  I could talk about horror all day.

well if it wasn't for your incessant ramblings then what the hell would we have to listen to here?
wink

deadhorse13 wrote:

well if it wasn't for your incessant ramblings then what the hell would we have to listen to here?
wink

Burt Bacharach?

moviemaven wrote:

That was fun.  I talked WAY too much, sorry about that.  I need to learn to shut up but it's hard when it comes to horror.  I could talk about horror all day.

and i could listen to you all day.