Topic: 2012 MLB Thread

Ah, spring training is almost upon us!

http://www.hobartpulp.com/website/april/phanatic1.jpg

Fans can post their team, and ToeTag betting is once again on for this season.

Re: 2012 MLB Thread

You know I am a Jays fan all the way! and of course I am always ready for some TT betting

I can't even begin to tell you how excited I am for some baseball...

http://i973.photobucket.com/albums/ae218/aragonbrian/SanDiegoPadres.jpg

@JJ- good thing you reminded me who your team was, I forgot.

oh hell yeah this is gonna be a good season (especially for my halos). let's get the season started already damn.

^^ Must be nice!  The Halos have put together a solid team. Pujols, and C.J., were big time acquisitions.

Sure wish my team would/could spend some dough on a couple of blue chip free agents, instead of having to rely on our farm players, and guys who are at the twilight of their careers. The realist side in me says " Padres will be lucky to finish 3rd in the division this year."  I'm gonna try to stay optimistic though and jut hope for a competitive team.

Last edited by Underdog (2012-04-06 15:40:35)

oh yeah opening night angels vs kansas city jared weaver vs bruce chen. Albert pujols season debut. LET'S GET IT ON. congrats az on the philly's win, and sorry underdog for the loss last night. and finally what a game between the jays and indians a little bit of history right off the bat as the longest opening day game in history.

Last edited by daxter (2012-04-06 14:00:44)

@Azzie -- sorry, man, I saw you mentioned in my thread you'd already started one, I just never saw it.  Out of respect, I'll shut mine down and we'll stick with this one. smile

That said, Cincie won their opening day game yesterday trumping Florida 4-0.  Off day today but tomorrow and Saturday we finish up against the Marlins before welcoming the Cardinals for a three game stretch starting Monday.

^^
That's cool, I did start it like 2 months ago!

Do you have the Marlins at home or at their place?  I'm dying to see their new circus stadium.  Have you heard about their homerun display?  (Animated, but basically what it does.)

Last edited by azathoth (2012-04-06 15:29:42)

No, Florida's visiting this series.  Maybe next time.  But I've seen their home run display and...it's kind of tacky, I think. lol

Haven't seen much of the ball park, but caught a glimpse of the aquarium behind home plate. That was a pretty cool concept, being that it's in Fla. Long term; I still don't think the stadium will attract as many fans as they're hoping.

@dax- your guys had a nice 8th inning.

azathoth wrote:

@dax- your guys had a nice 8th inning.

thanks but unfortunately today was another matter now 1-1 with a 6-3 loss today.

Reds vs Marlins, game 2 of 3.  Scoreless until Florida scored a run in the top of the 4th; Cincie took the lead with Joey Votto's first home run (and accompanying RBI) of the year in the bottom of the 4th, then Reds starting pitcher Matt Latos (in his first MLB start) gave up a game-tying run in the top of the 5th.  Bottom of the 5th, two runners on base and Latos just walked the bases full with two outs.  Gettin' a little scary...

Looks like none of our teams our doing well so far.  sad

The Phils are 2nd in least runs allowed, and 2nd worst in runs scored.  And the only 2 games the Pirates have won came from us!

Yeah, the Reds have yet to really break out with their offense but their defense and pitching staff is, for a change, doing really well.  My fave Reds pitcher, Bronson Arroyo, who started last night, kept Cincie to a 1-0 lead all the way up into the 8th inning.  Then his reliever came basically handed his first batter a gift-wrapped home run two pitches into the count.  I can see this is going to be a problem yet again; relievers blowing leads maintained expertly by opening pitchers.

As for today's game, when I started writing this post the Reds were tied with Washington 1-1; now, what, three minutes later, Homer Bailey has now given up two more runs to give Washington a 3-1 lead.  Fuckin' Homer Bailey.  Talk about a shitbird...  Three years ago he was being hyped as the Next Big Thing in Reds pitching, but not only has he failed to deliver in any real way, he's progressively grown worse as time has worn on. 

But, hopefully, the Reds will bat their way out of this slump and we'll be back to one of the most prolific offenses in the MLB.  Granted it's too early to start bitching just yet, but that doesn't mean I can't warm up for it beforehand. lol

And the Phils get shut out for the first time since 2010.  By the Mets.  Oy.

Try being a devoted Padre fan. I tell ya, it's not easy! Seems they're having to "rebuild" every damn year. And when they finally get a really good player, like M. Latos and A. Gonzalez, what do they do? Trade him, or just let him walk. T. Gwynn being the exception.

* off my soap box*  Padres are 2-6 and playing the 7-1 Dodgers, who they lost to yesterday 9-8.

Last edited by Underdog (2012-04-14 21:03:07)

^^
I got ya, Dog, I've been a Phils fan since the 80s.  Besides, they're the only sports franchise to have 10,000 losses!  lol

Jackie Robinson day!
Anyone else get a cool feel that his number was 42?

Cool story about Jimmy Rollins that was in the paper today.  (JRo is Vampy's guy)-

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/scho … =124488469

I really enjoy when the MLB carries a theme through every team, like today, with every player wearing #42.  So much respect for the old-timers in this game; you never hear anyone dissing the greats.

Speaking of great, excellent game today between the Reds and the Nationals in game 4 of 4.  Cincie took an early lead with a grand slam in the first inning; the Nats would eventually catch up to a 5-5 tie that went into extra innings until Joey Votto cranked out a 2-run hit in the eleventh inning.  Ultimately the Reds take an 8-5 win after three consecutive losses to the Nats. 

Day off tomorrow, then it's off to St. Louis for a 3-gamer against the Cards.

Phils finally pulled off a late inning rally for the win.

Now they go on a 10 west coast trip, including our own UnderDog's Padres for a 4 game series starting Thursday.  What shall we wager, oh Doggy One?

[and a bit off topic, but if anyone watches any hockey, make sure to check out SportsCenter.  The Flyers-Pens game was complete chaos, start to end.  Total of 2.5 hours of penalties with 3 ejections!]

Lon; "I really enjoy when the MLB carries a theme through every team, like today, with every player wearing #42.  So much respect for the old-timers in this game; you never hear anyone dissing the greats."

Same here. I really dig Chipper Jones for that reason. The man still wears the long socks some times, like the old timers did back then, and he plays the game with true passion and respect.

As for the Padres; the bums lost 2-3 games to the Dodgers. The Rockies are next up, starting today.

Reds have been hit or miss the last week.  An embarrassing series against St. Louis where they only won one game, and today, after a 12-hit game yesterday, they lose to the Cubs.  Defensively they're doing just fine; starting pitchers are keeping it together this year (though as usual the late inning relievers are handing out hits like they're contagious) but it's the offense which is really sucking right now.  Brandon Phillips just got his first HR of the year a few days ago, slug-master Joey Votto's getting hits but no runs, my man Scotty Rolen's in a slump...  It seems Jay Bruce is the only guy getting a decent amount of both hits and runs, but even he's slumping compared to his performance last year.