Topic: The Cabin in the Woods Discussion (SPOILERS)

Howdy, first post. I just got back from seeing a midnight showing of The Cabin in the Woods and absolutely loved it!!!

Now, I just wanted to clear up a few things to make sure I didn't miss anything. Here goes:

***PLEASE BE AWARE - SPOILERS BELOW***

***YOU'VE BEEN WARNED***

From what I understood from the ending, this is a ritual that has been going on for decades, centuries even, all around the world, from country to country. As a sort of offering to the underworld, these victims/players have to die, to stop the "dead" from rising and to restore balance to the earth so to speak. Have I got that right, should I carry on?

In this case, our group: the stereotype American teens (The Whore, The Jock, The Scholer, The Dumbass, The Virgin) are to be sacrificed for the greater good? Save for The Virgin, who is optional, right?

Are these events tied together, if only one group succeeds by being devoured by the monsters, does this end up spelling the end of the world like we see at the end of the film? Did all the other countries fail by overcoming the monsters?

What I understood is that every country has different rules. For example: our American players are part of a specific ritual (the virgin, the dumb blonde whore), where the virgin must survive all four of her friends or die last. Do these same rules apply to every country. Surely each country must have its own rules, as each territory has its own horror clichés?

I went along with a friend who was trying his best to nitpick after we left the cinema. Were there any loopholes you noticed or anything you thought they didn't tie up properly? It all looked pretty sound from my end.

As a huge horror fan, I enjoyed it. I loved that it served as an alternative backstory to every modern horror movie of the last 20 years. As if almost all the tropes we're so used to seeing time and time again are the result of a well orchestrated ritual that must take place in order to save the world. Simply brilliant!

What did you think?

Last edited by realph (2012-04-12 22:37:13)

Re: The Cabin in the Woods Discussion (SPOILERS)

Not to sound rude, but your friend is an ASSHOLE.

Nitpicking this film is like nitpicking the Sistine Chapel or Shakespeare, it's a fucking work of art.

That said......

It's established in the beginning of the film (and seemingly reinforced through out the film) that at least 1 of these sacrifices have to go off without a hitch, hence the reason they talk about Japan having a perfect record.

Stripped to its core, the bigger picture plot is really quite simple: The "Ritual" is innocence being sacrificed to an aspect of evil for the greater good of humanity.

Hence, the "Nightmare Menagerie".  Thats basically it, a blood offering to the gods to ensure safety, on a global, bureaucratic scale.

I drug my wife (reluctantly) to see it tonight and I thought it was a lot of fun. I wouldn't say it's a perfect horror film but highly entertaining none the less. I would say your description of the plot is pretty much on. I couldn't find any "loose ends" as you stated but than again I wasn't looking for any.

Wow...Any Joss Whedon fans?  Nevermind all the Horror Movie references...There were so many references to every past Joss Whedon project in that movie!  I loved it!  I want to go watch it again, because there were so many flashbacks of Buffy and Angel I was having Deja Vu  smile 

In case anyone here is not a Joss Whedon fan, I recommend you watch Buffy, Angel, Firefly, and Dollhouse before watching Cabin in the Woods again smile 

Oh... and you know you are a serious Horror Geek, when you can recognize a certain actress' voice in the first few words she speaks smile

From Ebert:
"...Horror fans are a particular breed. They analyze films with such detail and expertise that I am reminded of the Canadian literary critic Northrup Frye, who approached literature with similar archetypal analysis. "The Cabin in the Woods" has been constructed almost as a puzzle for horror fans to solve. Which conventions are being toyed with? Which authors and films are being referred to? Is the film itself an act of criticism?

With most genre films, we ask, "Does it work?" In other words, does this horror film scare us? "The Cabin in the Woods" does have some genuine scares, but they're not really the point. This is like a final exam for fanboys. "

http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbc … /120419993

swollenguy wrote:

With most genre films, we ask, "Does it work?" In other words, does this horror film scare us? "The Cabin in the Woods" does have some genuine scares, but they're not really the point. This is like a final exam for fanboys. "

http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbc … /120419993

I like that-  For the first time I wasn't analyzing whether or not it worked but how many different Horror movie and Whedon references did my son and I catch...  Frankly, I thought the plot was pretty straight forward.  It was all the surprise easter eggs that were fun.  I would love to go see it again soon.  My Husband leaned over during the movie to say this is the best horror movie he's ever seen...lol  (and he is not usually into them)  We all discussed it all the home smile

It was a total package type of movie for me. There were characters I was interested in, a story that never seemed to quite be telling me everything, a healthy dose of scares and humor, and plenty of references (honestly I wasn't really picking them all out I only made a giddy note of Hellraiser and The Strangers) without being condescending or to glibly self aware (cough-cough Scream Franchise cough cough)

Will this film change the landscape of big screen horror? Probably not. It came out against a second (or third week) Major teen lit adaptation (Hunger Games), a terrible looking comedy (3 Stooges) and *sigh* Titanic 3D.

Is Cabin in the Woods a fundamental game changer in the way Scream was back in the late 90's? Yes and No. Yes, in that it does what Scream tried to do, only much better, and No because Cabin is a little too outside the box to draw in the average audience members. Face it, Cabin is horror movie for horror fans, and if I didn't want to see it initially, then average Joe movie goer who's not a die hard horror fan sure as shit won't go see it.

I've said it on twitter and I'll say it here, if we want to see good, original horror, DVD is the place to go. The Cineplex sadly just isn't the place anymore.

DavidDellamorte wrote:

Cabin is horror movie for horror fans, and if I didn't want to see it initially, then average Joe movie goer who's not a die hard horror fan sure as shit won't go see it.

I've said it on twitter and I'll say it here, if we want to see good, original horror, DVD is the place to go. The Cineplex sadly just isn't the place anymore.

That's why it's our duty as Horror fans to go to the theatre and support the hell out of the good stuff!   

I asked my son if any of his friends saw it this weekend and he said only one.  He said he didn't get any of the movie references but he said it awesome none the less.   There is hope for the youth smile

Yes, as Horror fans we SHOULD go and support this movie, but lets be completely honest here.

I, host of a horror podcast (the 3rd in 4 years), writer of a horror blog, snarky horror loving asshole, was so turned off by the trailer that I almost didn't even bother going to see this, despite how much praise I heard from people who saw it (not to mention a film maker friend who loved it and a reviewer I enjoy loving it)

If you listened to the mini review I did, I clearly stated "The trailer looks like shit, I don't know why I'm actually going to see this movie"

I took the chance and was pleasantly surprised,  but not every horror fan, die hard or not is willing to do so. Hell if I hadn't wanted to get the hell out of my house as badly as I needed to this weekend, I wouldn't have seen this movie.

For as brilliant and awesome and great as Cabin is, it's a high concept, meta horror movie that's impossible to talk about without giving away major plot points, which makes it incredibly hard to market.

Example:

My Dad called me yesterday to tell me about how he got a new dog (no seriously he really did call me about this) and asked me what I had been up to lately. I raved about Cabin in the Woods. His response? "I saw the commercial for it, and it looked like they were just ripping off Evil Dead"  My Father, the man who introduced me to Horror, had the same reaction I did to this film's trailer.

My step mother gave this description on my Facebook when I was raving about how great the movie was: From what I've seen of the trailer it hints at "the house at the end of the lane" crossed with "West World" and a touch of "Saw" but I could be wrong.

There ya go. Microcasm of the average American movie goer. Granted, both my Dad and Step Mother know a bit more about movies (my step mother especially) than Joe Moviegoer, but there ya have it.  The response of a 53 and 63 year old American adults who saw the same TV spots we all did.

Nothing hooked them into seeing it, and BOTH of them are Buffy/Angel fans (how far Whedon's mainstream credit has fallen)

Yes, I loved Cabin, Yes I think it was brilliant, yes I think it was the BEST horror film I've seen in the last 10 years, HOWEVER, it is also a very high concept, hard to market film which sadly, is why this film won't sweep up the box office as one blogger suggested (http://ossuary.best-horror-movies.com/m … hat-Horror) that it might (face it, The Ring isn't a high concept movie, its a fairly simple ghost story)

Much as it breaks my heart, Cabin is destined to be one of those movies (like Trick R' Treat) that will find it's following on DVD and will be loved by some and hated by others (as most films are) and when the dust settles and the next remake gets ready for release, people will pontificate about how horrible it is, and how "IF ONLY CABIN IN THE WOODS HAD DONE BETTER"

Hollywood doesn't care about art, Hollywood is a money machine, thats all. Be grateful Cabin got a theatrical release at all.

^^I do not think in any way it is a flop or is being looked at as bad results at the box office it made 15 million opening weekend and was bought for just under 20 million so pretty much anything it makes from here out is profit including dvd sales so i think hollywood can say it made a good movie will pretty good results

^ @DavidDR I kinda had an opposite reaction than you, the first trailer I seen, I loved it and wanted to see it since then. I agree with you about how the film is hard to market without giving to much away, in fact the trailer I watched almost gives to much away. I think I stated in another thread on here that I thought it was going to ruin the movie but it turns out theres always more than meets the eye with this movie, that and it was just to much fun to not enjoy.

Last edited by ChainSaW80 (2012-04-16 17:03:14)

I think the one and only reason it got a theatrical release was Joss Whedon's involvement.  He still has a huge following, maybe not your parent's age...lol,  But most Scifi Geeks know who he is because of Firefly, Dollhouse, and Dr. Horrible.   There are whedon fans at every Fan Expo I go to.   Even with his involvement it took three years to get released (it was filmed in 2009). The reviews have all been good so far that I have seen, but I tried to stay from spoilers before I saw it.   In the one negative review I read, it was clear the guy had no idea who Joss Whedon was, so he wasn't expecting comedy or horror...???  Let's face it the movie was really unique, but that's what made it good.

Thought you guys might enjoy this....

Here is the list of monsters from the Whiteboard in the control room....

Werewolf
Alien Beast
Mutants
Wraiths
Zombies
Reptilius
Clowns
Witches
Sexy Witches
Demons
Hell Lord
Angry Molesting Tree
Giant Snake
Deadites
Kevin
Mummy
The Bride
The Scarecrow Folk
Snowman
Dragonbat
Vampires
Dismemberment Goblins
Sugarplum Fairy
Merman
The Reanimated
Unicorn
Huron
Sasquatch/Wendigo/Yeti
Dolls
The Doctors
The Redneck Torture Family
Jack O'Lantern
Giant
Twins

You guys did a great job of jonesin me for it.

@Dirtygirl I think another reason for the theatrical release was Joss Whedon and Chris Hemsworth being involved together in Avengers you can kind of play off the hype for that

Best part by far near the end when the elevators all ding and open....if you've seen it, you know what i'm talking about!

^ Hell yes!!!

The merman scene at the end was pretty sweet too!

SPOILERS BELOW HERE!!!
!
!
!
!
!
!
!
!
!
!
!
!
!
!
!
!
!

realph wrote:

...these victims/players have to die, to stop the "dead" from rising...

Not the dead, but ancient evil gods.

realph wrote:

In this case, our group: the stereotype American teens (The Whore, The Jock, The Scholer, The Dumbass, The Virgin) are to be sacrificed for the greater good? Save for The Virgin, who is optional, right?

Yup.

realph wrote:

...if only one group succeeds by being devoured by the monsters, does this end up spelling the end of the world...

I'm not sure exactly what you mean there, but only one group of victims needs to be successfully sacrificed in order for everything to remain status quo.

realph wrote:

Did all the other countries fail by overcoming the monsters?

All the other countries failed, but whether those countries failed because the intended sacrifices managed to defeat the monsters sent to kill them or because the conditions for success simply weren't met were never explained.  Either way, they blew it.

realph wrote:

Surely each country must have its own rules, as each territory has its own horror clichés?

Each country does have its own rules, as we saw with Japan.

realph wrote:

Were there any loopholes you noticed or anything you thought they didn't tie up properly?

Every movie is going to have plot holes, from the lowliest straight to video film to the loftiest Hollywood classic.  The Cabin in the Woods certainly is no exception, with both plot holes and instances of the writers (Whedon and Goddard) managing to write themselves into a corner.  However, I don't believe that either of those things necessarily makes a movie "bad".  It's the writer's ability to recover from those things that determine if a film is any good.  Fortunately, The Cabin in the Woods manages to put up an impressive showing.  Joss Whedon really needed a win on the big screen, so it's nice to see him get one and earn himself some redemption.

Do you guys think that we, the Horror Fans, are the gods that filmmakers are trying to please?  Are we the ancient ones that must have everything go in a certain order?  Is that why every country has different rules...because they have different fans to please?

DirtyGirl wrote:

Do you guys think that we, the Horror Fans, are the gods that filmmakers are trying to please?  Are we the ancient ones that must have everything go in a certain order?  Is that why every country has different rules...because they have different fans to please?

I don't know but I think this is a good comparison. Makes you really wonder if the writers had that in mind when doing this story and its their way of poking fun of us, or the situation to an extent.

okay, so I was all quasi-happy cuz I supposedly found a torrent of this flick online (I'd actually go see the film if I had somebody to go with, but I hate seeing films alone, so sue me.  Um, although not you, copyright holders lol ); however, when it finishes downloading and I open it up it's actually some horrible comedy called American Balls.  drats!

I loved the ending of the Japanese film.  Somebody here will probably point out that it was related to / a reflection of (or something similar) some particular movie...but to me it was poking fun at...

The way people in movies (not just Japanese) come up with some odd and inexplicable way to defeat the evil.  Frequently it's digging up bones and burying them in a particular place, but can be many things.  I always find it odd how they come to this conclusion, and usually it doesn't work.

Anyway...I loved what they came up with in that part and what it was supposed to do (frog part).

Dirty...wow, thanks for that list of the monsters!  Also, that's an interesting point in your last.

Ghostseeker wrote:

I loved the ending of the Japanese film.  Somebody here will probably point out that it was related to / a reflection of (or something similar) some particular movie...but to me it was poking fun at...

The way people in movies (not just Japanese) come up with some odd and inexplicable way to defeat the evil.  Frequently it's digging up bones and burying them in a particular place, but can be many things.  I always find it odd how they come to this conclusion, and usually it doesn't work.

The evil spirit is now trapped in the happy frog lol

Did anyone catch the Patrick Bateman guy on the monitor?