Topic: Where are all the GREAT WEREWOLF films?? try this one.

Where are all the great WEREWOLF movies?  We think we need more of them.  Anyone else?  Here's an attempt to bring werewolves back into the fold, budget or no budget!  Let's hope it inspires people with bigger budgets to bring the furry guy back to the big screen in all his glory!

Horror-Movie.ca just reviewed and showed this short film called THE BEAST a lot of love.  Starring up and coming horror icon Bill Oberst Jr.  (review by Deth_Banger): http://www.horror-movies.ca/2012/04/wat … the-beast/

Youtube: http://youtu.be/2dKecixJico

Last edited by dreamseekerprods (2012-04-18 13:00:52)

Re: Where are all the GREAT WEREWOLF films?? try this one.

I completely agree.  Werewolves are my all-time favorite movie monsters but I feel they've only been given due justice a handful of times.  American Werewolf in London, The Howling, The Wolf Man (original, not the vapid remake), Curse of the Werewolf...  But as great as those flicks are, I feel we've yet to be given the definitive werewolf movie, one which explores in full the horrific, dramatic and metaphorica/allegorical angles and not just the FX.

Dare to dream...

I didn't know that about you, Lonnie. They're my favorites as well.  big_smile 

Sadly, the problem with werewolves is that when they are done well, they're amazing, but a poorly done creature will wreck the entire film.  Sadly, there just aren't that many good ones.  I second your list above and add Dog Soldiers and Ginger Snaps. 

Bipedal or all fours?  Just curious.  I personally prefer bipedal werewolves for the scare factor.  For that reason, The Howling bumps London out of first place for me.  big_smile

Agreed.  The creature must be constructed well, BUT there are exceptions.  DOG SOLDIERS for me was one of those horror movies that was so entertaining that i didn't mind that I could literally see the lines in the monster suit, like where the gloves began, etc.  That's a rare exception though.

I like bipedal and would like to add silver bullet. It might be cheesy but I like the authority figure against youth and isolation/handicap plot devices.

I hear our wolfman is Tripedal

moviemaven wrote:

Bipedal or all fours?  Just curious.  I personally prefer bipedal werewolves for the scare factor.  For that reason, The Howling bumps London out of first place for me.  big_smile

Bipedal.  It's wolf man, not plain old wolf. lol  AAWIL is an exception, though.

swollenguy wrote:

I hear our wolfman is Tripedal

you better believe it boy! i'm always tripping over it. it's quite a problem.

Cheer yourselves all up by listening up to the excellence that is Warren Zevon's Werewolves in London.
Just avoid that douchebag Kid Rock's rape song All Summer Long

Vasquez wrote:

Cheer yourselves all up by listening up to the excellence that is Warren Zevon's Werewolves in London.

i have "Werewolves of london" on my play list, naturally smile

LoudLon wrote:
moviemaven wrote:

Bipedal.  It's wolf man, not plain old wolf. lol  AAWIL is an exception, though.

Good point Lon, bUt for me AAWIL features the best looking werewolf I have ever seen. I guess based on that alone I guess I prefer four legs. Although I really enjoyed the The Wolf Man remake and Rick Baker did a great job on the effects.

swollenguy wrote:

silver bullet. It might be cheesy but I like the authority figure against youth and isolation/handicap plot devices.

Not only one of my favorite movies, but definitely my favorite werewolf movie.

I don't think I've seen Dog Soldiers, but keep hearing good things bout it.  I gotta check it out.

dreamseekerprods wrote:

DOG SOLDIERS for me was one of those horror movies that was so entertaining that i didn't mind that I could literally see the lines in the monster suit, like where the gloves began, etc.

I've watched this film numerous times, love it, adore the look of the werewolves, and have never even noticed this.  Now that this has been brought to my attention, I sincerely hope it doesn't mar my next viewing. lol

Ghostseeker wrote:
swollenguy wrote:

silver bullet. It might be cheesy but I like the authority figure against youth and isolation/handicap plot devices.

Not only one of my favorite movies, but definitely my favorite werewolf movie.

I don't think I've seen Dog Soldiers, but keep hearing good things bout it.  I gotta check it out.

Trust me, Darlin, you want to watch it.  I said so.  wink

Good call on Silver Bullet!

deadhorse13, don't worry.  it won't mar anything.  they do a great job of covering the costume lines up.  i only point it out because it's a great (one of the few) example of making a great werewolf film DESPITE having no money to make stan winston-esque creatures.

Tripedal?? I fear there will be no more great werewolves in film anymore due to the use/overuse of cgi as it has destroyed movie monsters. What you get is instant werewolf as in 'Underworld'. That is totally comical.
'The Howling' is superior to AAWIL in that it was genuinely scary, the setting was totally atmospheric and the bipedal nature of the werewolves were what you expect from a werewolf. However....Rick Baker's transformation effects were superior to Rob Bottin's in TH.

I look no further than the great Paul Naschy for werewolf films. You won't catch him simpering and whining like Chaney Jr. He da man , wolf or not. Dr' Jeckyl is a punk and Samurai lords, vampire queens and even the Yeti must bow before his awesomeness.

A little remembered TV movie from the 70s still gives me the creeps: Moon of the Wolf starring David Jansen as a sheriff in small Louisiana bayou town under siege from a werewolf in this whodunnit horror. Great music, wonderful southern locales, nice suspense, and superlative cast keeps it briskly paced and engaging. And the fact that most of the killings are done POV - normally a negative - works wonderfully with the whodunnit mystery of which town member is the wolf. My two schillings.

Last edited by Bunshinsaba (2012-04-22 07:29:03)

^^^ Agreed.  And let's not forget an early character role for Geoffrey (father of Juliet) Lewis. wink

Moon of the Wolf.  Will have to track that one down. 

Agreed on the CGI wolf effect.  Such a tragedy to all the work the master make-up artists did for so many years!  Latest CGI lame CGI transformation?  the WOLFMAN remake?  there are two big transformation scenes in it....and....well, neither one will give you so much as a shudder.  not.  even.  one.  siiiiiiigh......

i noticed also that WOLFEN didn't make the discussion here.  i like certain aspects of that movie, but i'm not surprised (nor bothered) by the fact that no one brought it up.  come to think of it, the same goes for WOLF, with Jack, Michelle and James.  Blaaaah.  At least they didn't go crazy with any CGI.  I'll give them that. 

THE BEAST cost 600 bucks and took one night.  so, it's not perfection, but would you be open to seeing this as a feature?  wondering whether or not to pursue pitching a feature version to producers in town.

Link: http://youtu.be/2dKecixJico

I have a copy of The boy who cried werewolf. The 70’s drive-in shlock that double billed with SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS, not the kids movie

Hello everyone, this is my first post. I, too, like The Howling and American Werewolf very much, pretty much for the same reasons you've already outlined here. I think a lot of Dog Soldiers, and I have actually used Ginger Snaps in a class I teach called The Horror Film at a local college. All of these films are part of my collection, and so are The Wolf Man, Were Wolf of London, and some TV werewolves I thought worthy of mention, the werewolves of True Blood. It may not be a great horror film, but it is a great summertime guilty pleasure!

do not sleep on Teen Wolf.

Here's an interesting variation on the subject. A film with a favorable atmoshere for the genre:

The Undying Monster (1942)