Topic: Spike Lee's remake of 'Oldboy'. You look forward?

Brutal film, Spike Lee is best known for social commentary, films with a conscious, not extreme brutality. What do you expect from Mr. Lee on this film?

Re: Spike Lee's remake of 'Oldboy'. You look forward?

Old boy was more than violence, and Spike knows heavy, I think he can do good. But like any remake of a popular film with a cult following he would have to knock your socks off to overcome not being compared to the original (and pooped on) by the fans, and that an’t going happen.

I think Leethe has bigthe shoes to fill in Chan-Wook Park...which makes me skeptical he can pull it off, Oldboy was insanely original and considering this is a english remake it takes away from the film already IMO. Not to say I wouldn't give it a chance, it just don't seem like his forte.

Fear the worst. Spike Lee, in my eyes, is THE most overrated director ever. Don't know if it's just the racial subject matter he always sticks with, or that his movies just lay on the screen. Honestly hated all of his movies (okay, haven't seen ALL of them, since I don't like him as a director).

My only hope is that he doesn't put his typical racial spin on it, and make it some tale about a slave escaping a slave owner, only to come back for revenge.

Hey, I'm always willing to give just about any flick a chance, even this... kinda.

Zed_Chuva wrote:

Fear the worst. Spike Lee, in my eyes, is THE most overrated director ever. Don't know if it's just the racial subject matter he always sticks with, or that his movies just lay on the screen. Honestly hated all of his movies (okay, haven't seen ALL of them, since I don't like him as a director).

My only hope is that he doesn't put his typical racial spin on it, and make it some tale about a slave escaping a slave owner, only to come back for revenge.

Hey, I'm always willing to give just about any flick a chance, even this... kinda.

Most overrated EVER? WOW! Didn't like 'Malcom X  or Inside Man?....u kinda sound like a Republican.

Last edited by Treuj (2012-02-01 21:32:30)

I dunno how he's going to do it. I'm a bit skeptical. I've only just seen Oldboy and definately is in my top 10 but really does it NEED remaking or reimagining? I suppose I'll give it a go when it comes to dvd but I think I'll be comparing it to the Korean one all the time. I don't even think it could work well done anywhere else than Korea. I dunno if I've seen any Spike Lee. I have to be really into a film to bother looking at who the director is so I can't judge it until I see something made by him. I'll IMDB him and see if I have seen any or find one to watch I guess.

ETA: Don't fix something that isn't broken...

Last edited by UltraViolence (2012-02-20 16:25:02)

I'm definitely ....   not looking forward to this remake ,,, fuck this and ram it hard and painfully up Lee's ASS.

Zed_Chuva wrote:

I agree, not a Spike Lee fan at all. I'll give it a try just because I liked the original so much but I don't have very high expectations.

UltraViolence wrote:

I dunno how he's going to do it. I'm a bit skeptical. I've only just seen Oldboy and definately is in my top 10 but really does it NEED remaking or reimagining? I suppose I'll give it a go when it comes to dvd but I think I'll be comparing it to the Korean one all the time. I don't even think it could work well done anywhere else than Korea. I dunno if I've seen any Spike Lee. I have to be really into a film to bother looking at who the director is so I can't judge it until I see something made by him. I'll IMDB him and see if I have seen any or find one to watch I guess.

ETA: Don't fix something that isn't broken...

spike lee in korean translates roughly into "one trick pony". if he is not pushing his usual race baiting pap, he is even more dull. he is way out of his league.

Last edited by survivalist (2012-03-10 19:42:09)

No. No. No, no no no no no no no no. Seriously, no. How could anybody ever think this was a good idea? I agree with Utlraviolence wholeheartedly. It won't even translate properly.

There is so much in it that is Asia specific like the culture within the film. Oldboy itself is not a term I've seen used in the western world except when in reference to the film. The food too. The dumplings are a bit part of Dae Su's search. It may work beautifully but I doubt it. Korean films have their own unique stamp to them. What are they going to call the main character? Will he be searching for the same burgers instead of dumplings? Meh I am just a bit annoyed about this whole thing that I'm now ranting ha!

^^
Mr. MovieBuff, you don't spam here.
Reported.