Topic: Anyone remember cult director Jim Van Bebber?

For me, Deadbeat at Dawn and Manson Family were 2 of the best indie films ever made.

He is less than prolific, so when there is a new project on the horizon it's time to help out!!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/905 … -vanbebber

Re: Anyone remember cult director Jim Van Bebber?

Hells yeah, I'm a big fan of Bebber's Deadbeat at Dawn.  True story: I lived in Dayton, OH (attended Walter E. Stebbins High 11th-12th grade) when the film was made and remember there being a huge stink on the news about some gang starting trouble near a parking garage.  That was actually Van Bebber filming the scene where he scales the garage and sets a mattress on fire in the middle of the street, without a permit and without notifying authorities or property owners that he'd be filming (he mentions this in the DVD commentary). 

Deadbeat's backyard, guerilla filmmaking at its most exciting, far as I'm concerned.  And it drips with 80s nostalgia; karate and nunchucks and throwing stars, oh my!

Last edited by LoudLon (2012-05-07 18:38:07)

^^
Oh my, that's awesome.  "Oh, sorry I burned down city hall for my movie.  I'll be on my way now. " <whistles away slowly>

^^^ Have you ever seen that flick, Az?  It's cheap as hell but it puffs its chest and defies you not to enjoy it, warts and all -- of which there are many, but you find yourself forgiving them because the flick's just so full of gusto.

Last edited by LoudLon (2012-05-07 21:52:46)

^^
Cannot say that I have.  I will endeavor to add it to the collection.  And you know I love those type of films!

Some of the many high points:

- Bonecrusher's rooftop soliloquy
- Motorcycle robbery at nunchucks-point
- Gypsy girlfriend
- Ninja star to the forehead
- Vehicular decapitation
- Throat ripped out
- Cap gun (you'll know it when you see it)
- Goose vs Everybody final fight
- Mullets galore
- Scenic Dayton,OH low-income housing projects circa 1988
- "Fuck your noise!"

Man, I just can't say it enough.  Love this flick!

Last edited by LoudLon (2012-05-08 00:57:24)

He's awesome...how I waited and wished that Roadkill: the last days of John Martin would be turned into a full-fledged movie.

@Lon- Since when did you become 100% Carve Proof?  You can't even handle a Fiat to the chest, man!  lol

Oh, and I'm still working on that project for you (mutters mutters computer is gonna get the knife).  If you're conscious drop by on Skype later on tonight.

Completely agree with the OP here, Deadbeat at Dawn is no holds barred indie film that makes full use of the grim city streets. The fight scenes are well choreagraphed and there's one scene in particular that made me feel as if I myself had just been clobbered over the head with the nunchucks!
Charlie's Family too is a wonderful film, from the musical intro of flowers wilting as blood drips down (an obvious and ominous symbol of the death of the flower-power movement) to the climactic bloodbath at the end it has a carnivorous quality that permeates every scene.
Van Bebber is a natural born film maker, he can also swing nunchucks like a demon! big_smile

Van Bebber is amazing, really looking forward to seeing Gator Green. My Sweet Satan is one of my favorite shorts of all time, have yet to see Roadkill. Also looking forward to seeing him in The Bottle, the Chain, and the Damage Done.

Jug, My Sweet Satan was great, you gotta see Roadkill.  Think you can youtube it, last I checked.

Deadbeat at Dawn is one of my favorite DVD's, not only for the film but also for the inclusion of My Sweet Satan and Roadkill.

Last edited by LoudLon (2012-10-24 14:23:16)

Go to JIM VANBEBBER NAMBLA member,Oh man you WONT believe this guy.

I've been compared to Van Bebber a couple of times, but I don't think anything I've ever made even comes close to the insanity he unleashes on screen. Sure is an honor whenever somebody does it though.

^^
Reported.

Reported for what? :- )
haha see...here's a reviewer comparing me to Jim Bebber
http://horrornews.net/27408/film-review … irls-2009/
but like I said, I don't think I can hold a candle to the dude, whenever someone does it though it blows me away. He's pretty much a legend to indie moviemakers everywhere.