Re: 2012 MLB Thread

^^
Heard your team got it's 10,000th all-time win.  Not to shabby.

All teams all-time

UnderDog and I split a 4 game series as both our teams are in the basement.  Angels in the basement, too, but the Reds are tied for 2nd in their division. 

[Aside- on the upside the Flyers are moving on to Round 2 after mooshing the Penguins]

Not much to talk about this season so far.  sad
But last night Doc Halladay gets knocked out in a 15-13, 11th inning loss, and today Joe Blanton throws a 3 hit shutout complete game.  Still 3 games out, though.

the halos have been on a bit of a roll. jared weaver no hit minnesota last night, two straight shut outs, maybe they have turned the corner now if albert pujols can shake his funk maybe things'll get better.

^^
Pujols is getting his butt ripped by ESPN/SI/etc.  I don't think it's fair, but damn man, get your mojo goin'!

azathoth wrote:

^^
Pujols is getting his butt ripped by ESPN/SI/etc.  I don't think it's fair, but damn man, get your mojo goin'!

you're right az i don't think it's fair also but it's what reporters, sports or otherwise, are paid to do but so far he hasn't really been worth the contract he was given not even close.

^^^ Even the Reds announcers were talking about Pujols last night.  Poor guy.  Of all the times to go into a slump...

My thoughts on Pujols-  Pujols is one of the most elite sluggers to come along in a long, long time. He can flat out tattoo the ball. Does he deserve the ripping he's getting? No!! Do I feel sorry for him? Maybe just a bit. But, that's the reality of pro sports. It's all about "what have you done for me lately?"  If I remember right? Last season he got off to a slow start, and then finished strong. I think he'll eventually find his stroke. The man's a monster hitter, and is far from over the hill. Although I will say " I think the Halos paid too much for him." Can't blame Pujols for taking all the money they offered, and the long term contract. That's just my opinion though. Which ain't worth a plug nickel smile 

As for the Padres...Christ, it's gonna be a long season!!

Last edited by Underdog (2012-05-03 19:59:05)

Yeah, the Monks can't catch a break recently.

Similar to the Pujols contract, your should hear the Philly people screaming their heads off that we way overpaid Ryan Howard and now he's hurt and Utley is hurt and Cliff Lee is hurt and yada yada yada.  God, Philly is so freaking negative (at least on the local papers' websites).

i take back my statement about the angels turning the corner um never mind back to back shut outs by the jays. i just saw highlights from the phils/nats game why was there no umpire at third that made no sense to me what so ever. the phils got screwed big time.

Last I checked (10th inng) the Padres were giving the Marlins a run for their money. Was kinda eager this morning to see how they fared?  Well, they ended up losing in the 12th. I can handle that , but then I read this on yahoo...

The injury news for the San Diego Padres gets worse by the day.

No, on Friday, make that by the hour.

On Friday afternoon, sources confirmed that left-hander Cory Luebke, the budding ace of the staff, might need elbow reconstruction surgery. And just before midnight Friday night, right-handed closer Huston Street removed himself from an extra-inning game due to what was diagnosed as a posterior right shoulder strain.

I'm just gonna take the news with a grain of salt. It's not like I expected the Pads to win the div this season. As for H. Street; he was damaged goods when we got him, and not to sound pessimistic, but I kinda expected something like this to occur. Luebke on the other hand I feel bad for. He was showing promise.

@Dax- Oh, the announcers were going ballistic about the bad calls.  lol
Oh well, it's a long season, so I'm sure the Phils will get some calls going their way at some point.

@UDog- I was following that, I was pulling for the Monks.  It wouldn't have hurt either to have a Marlins loss.

Phils finally win a game against the Nattys.  At least they get a homestand now.

^^^ The Nats beat down the Reds in their first series last month.  Not a good weekend, that one.  And we have them again this coming weekend.  But I'm hoping it'll go a bit differently this time now that guys like Bruce and Phillips are back on their games and running good numbers.  We'll see.

^^
Cole Hamels hammered Bryce Harper in his ass in his 2nd plate appearance because he had this smug look when he got a walk the first time up.  Of course, the Nats' pitcher threw at Hamels' knee the next inning, but Cole just gave him a look and jogged to 1st.  But the look on Harper's face of "How can you do that, I'm the golden boy!" was priceless!

Oh, and Werth looked like he badly broke either his wrist or arm diving for a ball during the game.  His arm did that floppy thing when the body parts are doing things they really aren't supposed to be doing.  Poor guy.

Last edited by azathoth (2012-05-06 23:31:43)

hey underdog the halos are in san diego for a interleague series starting tonight  care for a 500 toe tag per game bet with me.

daxter wrote:

hey underdog the halos are in san diego for a interleague series starting tonight  care for a 500 toe tag per game bet with me.

Your on!

Underdog wrote:
daxter wrote:

Your on!

sweet

Hello my fellow baseball fans.  I believe I have found the most ridiculous ump strike call ever.  It was on Sportcenter's Not Top 10.  Go to about 1:50 into the vid.  (The rest are funny, too)

Not Top 10 5/18/2012 featuring awesome strike call

Source: ESPN.com

Last edited by azathoth (2012-05-18 23:28:45)

I am pumped the Jays have now won 4 straight

congrats underdog on winning 2 of the 3 games against my team this past weekend.

Last edited by daxter (2012-05-22 16:50:42)

^ Thanks! I have now regained a bit of faith in the Friars, at least for another wk.

the halos bolted from the basement to second place in the west, they have won five in a row, if they win today the'll sweep the mariners in seattle, and texas and first place doesn't seem out of the realm of possibility as they're only 6.5 behind and only two games from being .500. so i'm just gonna hang on and enjoy the ride and whatever happens happens.

Phillies are driving me mad, mad I say!  Win 6, lose 4, win 3. 1 game above .500 and we're still in the basement.  Cliff Lee has yet to win a game this season!  (mostly not his fault)  Joe Blanton has more wins than Doc Halladay!  Kyle Kendrick has 2 (3?) wins!  Our best hitter is our catcher (Chooch!) and our lead off guy is batting like .220 (J Roll). 

Aaarrrgghhhh!

^ Vance W, is dealing with a bone chip in his pitching arm, but will play through the pain he says. Cliff Lee not a W under his belt? I have no answer for that?? But, on the bright side; when your best players are under achieving, eventually they will come around. And the players who are over achieving. If they continue that trend? What a team you'll have! Still a lot of baseball to play...

As for the Padres. " No comment!!"