Topic: Favourite sub-genre of horror?

I was wondering what everyone's favourite sub-genre is and why?

Mine is a tie between slashers, psychological and supernatural, but to be honest I like films from all of them, the only ones I'm not keen on are creature features and sci-fi.

I've probably missed some out because I can only put 7 options, so if yours isn't there, hit other and tell me how foolish I am  big_smile

Last edited by HorrorQueen17 (2012-05-29 15:04:59)

Re: Favourite sub-genre of horror?

I love splatters and slashers! I remain very loyal to that subgenre and will watch any of them, even the real bad ones make it onto my top 10. But sometimes, I like some shock like Funny Games or I spit on your grave. But if I'm stuck on what to watch it's always Shaun of the dead or hot fuzz! Love a bit of comedy.

i like zombie and found footage films the best. Zombies because of the gore factor i guess and the found footage because things sorta pop out of the darkness or out of nowhere. Slashers would be next after that.

I love all horror sub genres though I am tired of POV and torture films, but my favourite is for sure slasher!

Found Footage and ghost / demon...then when you combine the two makes for some of my favorite movies!

I love slashers and grew up on them, so they have a special place with me too.

Last edited by Ghostseeker (2012-05-29 20:52:47)

Love the Gothic films from the 60s/ 70s the best and Giallos would be next smile

Slashers by far!! Zombie flicks would have to be my least favorite...they just all seem to have the same scenario

thegroom85 wrote:

Slashers by far!! Zombie flicks would have to be my least favorite...they just all seem to have the same scenario

This is why I don't like zombies sad I like early ones because they were original.

I am sure my post is long buried in the site somewhere but I made a thread like as my very first post when I joined. However so many ppl have gone since then and so many new ppl have joined I didn't realize how manu others consider their favourite Slashers. Before it was Sus, JJ and I. This is awesome! Lol, slashers are with out any doubt also my favourite no contest. I don't know where Sus went but you guys (who love slashers and haven't seen it yet) should check out Suspiria89's best 100 list. Obviously there are many many more not on the list but it is a good one for sure and it might either inform you of ones you never heard of or remind you of ones you forget to check out. I am going to try to hunt that post down and if I can't I will re post it of you want because I saved it lol.

That would be awesome vamps, I love slashers and finding new ones gets me all excited tongue Yeah a lot of people are going for slashers, I think they are fun and can have a lot of potential, plus it's always good seeing inventive new kills.

I'm really undecided on Found Footage myself because some have been really good (Grave Encounters) but a hell of a lot that I've watched recently have been awful with no thought gone into them at all.

Would be great to see that list of slashers, I save stuff like that too lol I thought I was the only one!!

I found your thread Vamp....

http://www.horror-movies.ca/Forum/viewt … p?id=10394

I remember this list from Suspiria also....I remember reading it and then going to find some of those movies!  Great list...

http://www.horror-movies.ca/Forum/viewt … p?id=27755

That list will become a reference point for me from now on smile lots I've missed there.

I voted 'supernatural' because I'm very keen on atmosphere.  Don't get me wrong, I love me some splatter, but mood and tension can under my skin and still freak me more so than a quick slice n' dice.  Something like "Insidious" (minus the last 15 minutes).

That list is awesome! Thank you ladies smile There are a lot there I've missed too so I've copied it so I can see them all

I know what you mean about atmosphere and tension Azzy, the last 15 minutes of Insidious was amazing. I love it when the tension is ratcheted up like that. I loved the atmosphere in Changeling too, supernatural is definitely one of my favourites

Zombie movies is my favorite horror sub-genre. They're fun, they're cool, they're gory, and they can be scary. The classics are the best, of course, but they're still great things coming out of the sub-genre right now as we speak.

Zombies are an immensely popular horror sub-genre, especially among the new, young horror fans. Whether it be from Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland, The Walking Dead, or the zombified Call of Duty games, the genre certainly hasn't lost its energy - in fact, I think zombies are more popular now than they ever have been in all of horror history. It's almost as if zombies have been accepted in the "social norm". Everyone seems to love zombies now - just look at those massive 'zombie walks'!

So, as far as the future goes, I see nothing but progression for this sub-genre - what's coming out next? Walking Dead season 3, World War Z....I know there's more. Point is, zombies definitely have some lasting power, and they're here to stay.

Although, the real reason I friggin' love zombie movies isn't their staying power, or the fact that new things are always on the rise, but just the idea of zombies ruling the planet and taking over is a fascinating one. Apocalyptic scenarios are always fun to think about. Also, when zombies imitate human behavior or symbolize the mindless things we do in our world - I love that. Social commentary, especially Romero's, is another thing I love contemplating when watching a good zombie flick.

The Creature wrote:

Zombie movies is my favorite horror sub-genre. They're fun, they're cool, they're gory, and they can be scary. The classics are the best, of course, but they're still great things coming out of the sub-genre right now as we speak.

Zombies are an immensely popular horror sub-genre, especially among the new, young horror fans. Whether it be from Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland, The Walking Dead, or the zombified Call of Duty games, the genre certainly hasn't lost its energy - in fact, I think zombies are more popular now than they ever have been in all of horror history. It's almost as if zombies have been accepted in the "social norm". Everyone seems to love zombies now - just look at those massive 'zombie walks'!

So, as far as the future goes, I see nothing but progression for this sub-genre - what's coming out next? Walking Dead season 3, World War Z....I know there's more. Point is, zombies definitely have some lasting power, and they're here to stay.

Although, the real reason I friggin' love zombie movies isn't their staying power, or the fact that new things are always on the rise, but just the idea of zombies ruling the planet and taking over is a fascinating one. Apocalyptic scenarios are always fun to think about. Also, when zombies imitate human behavior or symbolize the mindless things we do in our world - I love that. Social commentary, especially Romero's, is another thing I love contemplating when watching a good zombie flick.

World War Z (movie) is gonna be sht. No way they can do the gritty style of the book for a movie with a PG 13 rating attached. Stick with book, which deserves a full R - rating.

Last edited by Vasquez (2012-05-30 17:16:41)

^ I've never read the book, but I plan on doing so sometime in the near future. It sounds like it's a pretty awesome read.

I coulda swore I posted here yesterday....well atleast I voted...huh

Well I chose Creature/Monster movies because Jaws, The Thing, The Fly, The Blob (88), Feast, are among some of my favorite horror movies. I would assume vampires and werewolves would be included in this category also? Since they don't really have their own and don't really fall under the other categories. If so I can add more favorites like AAWIL, Near Dark and The Lost Boys also.

I don't really have a sub-genre that I dislike, I get in different moods for different things. I also have favorites it just about all these categories. I love slashers and zombie films also but of I had to choose a runner up to the creatures and monster movies it would probably be psychological. Some of the scariest movies for me at my age are films like The Strangers, Inside, Funny Games and High Tension. Their just very gritty, I get into them and can just imagine this happening down the street or even to me and my family, its the kinds of things ya see in the news everyday and that's scary to me.

Oh, by the way, HQ, thanks for mentioning me in your poles. Quite thoughtful. big_smile

Why of course Creature!! I'd never make one without ya big_smile You're doing alright in them too!

HorrorQueen17 wrote:

Why of course Creature!! I'd never make one without ya big_smile You're doing alright in them too!

So I am! HEHE. big_smile

Splatter and slasher! There is something joyful about being able to experience the feeling of the  human phyche (and body) fall to pieces in the face of death, and yet knowing that it is fiction. I think that  portraying death in such a horrific manner allows us to deal with the idea of death in a comedic manner- it is a release for us as humans, and a way to deal with some of the darkest aspects of life face-to-face. There is beauty in the accpetance of the ultimate pointlessness of life when we watch movies in which people lose their lives so quickly and horribly.

Last edited by exothermic (2012-06-01 01:17:26)

Splatter being my #1, especially the Asian stuff, where blood is spraying out of severed limbs or out of the necks of a victim after being beheaded. Some of the movies like that, that come to mind are; Meatball Machine, Hell Driver, Machine Girl, Tokyo Gore Police...etc...

Creature, monster, and other being a very close second.

Last edited by Underdog (2012-06-02 16:08:01)

Not really a sub genre but Foreign movies e.g asian, spanish, german are all kickin American and British ass right now.

Last edited by Vasquez (2012-06-01 15:22:49)

Such a wide range of sub genres also i believe indicates at the originality and creativity of horror films. I mean u don't get 20 different sub genres of Action or Rom Com movies do u. This is something mainstream critics of Horror also fail to recognise.

Last edited by Vasquez (2012-06-01 13:43:38)