Re: Favourite sub-genre of horror?

UnderDog reminded me that I also love the Asian wacky.  Slasher/splatter here compared to Asian s/s is like an M80 to a nuclear bomb.  (and generally they'll throw in aliens, zombies, or sorcerers just for the hell of it)
Good call UDog!

I don't really have a favourite genre as from my own personal standpoint I have movies across all genres that I love. Here are my favourites from very specific sub genres. Id also like to state that while some say these movies aren't horror any movie which instills shock, sadness, fear or similar Horrifying emotion is in my view a form of, to whichever extent HORROR film.

Non - Horror Horror movie (Unique Sub Genre) - City of Life and Death
War - City Of Life and Death
Documentary - Video Nasties: Moral Panic, Censorship and Videotape

The 'So Bad its Good' genre (Very unique to Horror/b movies) - Sickle aka The Slaughterhouse Massacre.
What Id like to call the 'Jap Sht Crazy' sub genre (A whole other level above the rest of the worlds exploitation fare) - The only two films ive seen are Vampire Girl v Frankenstein Girl and TGP. Out of those two i prefer Tokyo Gore Police. Might buy Suicide Club at some point though.
The 'Cabin In The Woods' sub genre (AND IT ISNT CABIN IN THE WOODS!) - The Evil Dead (Aka Book Of The Dead)

Horror Drama - The Woman/Girl Next Door
Horror/Thriller - Hard Candy
Italian/Giallo - Zombi 2 (or The Beyond if Zombi 2 doesn't count)
Apocalyptic/End of World - StakeLand
Technological Horror - Terminator 2 (Though i have yet to watch Hardware)
Surreal - Cemetery Man
French New Wave - Martyrs
Silent - Nosferatu
Gothic - Eyes without A Face
Serial Killer/Based on True Story - Wolf Creek
J-Horror - Battle Royale
Body Horror - Rabid
Female Revenge - ISOYG (remake)
Erotic - Vampyres
Killer Children - Who Can Kill A Child (76)
Killer Doll - Childs Play
Cannibal - Cannibal Holocaust
Found Footage - Grave Encounters
Werewolf - The Wolfman (1941)
Religious/Cult/Ritualistic - Candyman
Nature/Survival - The Descent
SciFi - Aliens
Slasher - My favourite is TCM 74 - Also love Midnight Movie
Ghost/Haunted - Devils Backbone
Creature - Frankenstein/ Bride of
Grindhouse - Hobo with a Shotgun
Zombie - Day of The Dead (85)
Vampire - Near Dark
Physiological - Dread
Splatter - Maniac (Original)
Comedy - Dead Snow H.M Night of The Creeps
50's monster Movies - Godzilla (1954)
Parody/Meta-Horror - Feast
Paranormal -  X– files (TV series)

I also find that a lot movies are a combination of specific sub genres, to some extent for example Day of the Dead could be considered a Zombie, Apocalyptic and Splatter/Gore Movie or Manaic could be viewed as Physiological and Splatter.

Last edited by Vasquez (2012-11-25 17:04:24)

I absolutely love your list vasquez, seen your thread and I'll post mine when I've thought about it enough!

ill think ill change my favourite thriller to Hard Candy actually.

Thanks @DirtyGirl for posting Sus' thread. I was just coming on to do so.

Vasquez wrote:

Such a wide range of sub genres also i believe indicates at the originality and creativity of horror films. I mean u don't get 20 different sub genres of Action or Rom Com movies do u. This is something mainstream critics of Horror also fail to recognise.

So true, and good point!

Definitley my favorite sub-genre in horror is 'Slashers' by far

My favorite sub-genre is the werewolf flick, because werewolves are my favorite movie monsters.  Yet while there have been some very good werewolf flicks, I don't think we've yet been given a definitive one, one which truly, deeply explores the duality of man's inner beast, for which the monster is a metaphor.  Some comment on that subject, but I've yet to see it given its genuine due.

I always loved Slashers, so that would probably be my favorite sub-genre. But I don't know, it's hard to choose.

By far Vampires are my favourite sub-genre, the gothic ones especially.  But I prefer Hammer movies or mostly 60s and 70s Horror and Giallos.

I only like Norwegian films about left-handed serial killers made between February the 3rd and February the seventh in the year 1986.

Only messing, my fave sub-genre has always been zombies. I just can't get enough of their flesh eating shenanigans. I even love the fast dead heads like in Snyder's Dawn remake and 28 Days Later. Gimme a big bag of crisps, a twelve pack and a film about undead cannibal bastards and I'm as happy as a pig in shit. I reckon I'll bloody well explode from excitement when I eventually sit down and watch WWZ. I just luuuurve me some Zombie goodness. It's all Romero's fault! LOL!

My favorite sub-genres are zombie's and slashers/splatters. but if i had to pick one i would choose zombies!!!

Last edited by Psycho97 (2012-11-28 13:36:18)

I think the best of the best zombie films are better than the best slashers. but there are definitely more good slasher movies than there are zombie movies.

I like them for different reasons, nothing makes me more excited when I watch a slasher, my blood is pumping, and I feel alive. Yet, when i watch zombie movies I feel a warmth in my heart that reminds me that I love horror movies, and it intrigues me to the fullest, I could watch them for days.

Last edited by Psycho97 (2012-11-28 13:40:54)

@Fulcento I'm right there with you

^
^
^
Hey Psycho, you seen 'The Dead' (2010) by the Ford brothers? It's set in Burkino Faso in deepest darkest Africa and the zombies are the slowest undead shufflers of all time. It really harks back to the good old days of zombie films. If you haven't seen it yet I simply can't recommend it enough. It's prolly my favourite zombie horror of the 21st century thus far.

Seriously, if you love zombie movies - you're bound to love 'The Dead'.

I voted for Supernatural. My favorite subgenre has to be the supernatural atmospheric films from the 70's and early 80's like Burnt Offerings, The Changeling, The Haunting of Julia etc. Gothic and Slasher run a close second. I don't think there's one I don't like although I clearly prefer some over others.

@Fulcento I'll watch it right now! smile

I take that back. I can't find it sad but once i do ill watch it and ill tell you what i think!

Okay probably my top favourite one is psychological.

I chose Slasher but only because there's no ALL OF THEM option.
But yeah I prefer slasher over them all but NOT by much. lol

I like  monster/creature. I think that genre has produced iconic monsters such as Dracula, Wolfman, Frankenstein, and King Kong. My favorite thing about them is that they were never  bad guys in the least.  Antagonistic sure, but they also had a sypathetic side when it came to a specific person.  Never apathetic.

As I said before I can't really pick a specific genre. Here is a updated list of my fav film from each

Updated 2/12/12

Horror Drama - The Woman
Horror/Thriller - Hard Candy
Italian/Giallo - Tenenbrae
Apocalyptic/End of World - StakeLand
Technological Horror - Terminator 2
Surreal - Cemetery Man
French New Wave - Martyrs
Silent - Cabinet of Dr Caligari
Gothic - Eyes Without A Face
Serial Killer/Based on True Story - TCM 74
J-Horror - Dark Water
Body Horror - Shivers
Female Revenge - ISOYG (Remake)
Erotic - Vampyres
Killer Children - Who Can Kill A Child (76)
Killer Doll - Childs Play
Cannibal - Cannibal Holocaust
Found Footage - Grave Encounters
Werewolf - The Wolfman (1941)
Religious/Cult/Ritualistic - Candyman
Nature/Survival - The Descent
SciFi - Aliens
Slasher - TCM 74
Ghost/Haunted - Devil's Backbone
Creature - Bride of Frankenstein
Grindhouse - Hobo with a Shotgun
Zombie - Day of The Dead (85)
Vampire - Near Dark
Physiological - Dread
Splatter - Maniac (Original)
Comedy - Dead Snow H.M Night of The Creeps
50's monster Movies - Creature From The Black Lagoon (54)
Parody/Meta-Horror - Feast
Paranormal -  X– files (TV series)
Anthology - Black Sabbath

Last edited by Vasquez (2012-12-02 07:51:50)

^^^
Woah, that is a VERY COOL list. Lots that I enjoy very much in that.
Now I definitely gotta see Vampyres. smile

This is the touch ones, I think I need choose all lol

I do like a lot slasher movies and Some Supernatural. Monster movies and zombies movies