Topic: Five Entertaining films Of The 1930's

here's another post from me for you to ignore. another attempt at trying to convert some of you to some of the treasures of the old films. apologies to those of you who don't need converting ( hello Creature! ) but i never give up! if i can convert one of you turkeys my job is done. i will post similar topics for the 1940's, 50's 60's and 70's in the near future so be warned! these films are just ones that i found and still find interesting at least. not necessacerily good films but watchable ones and this is just my opinion. as usual let's go in reverse order.


5.The Most Dangerous Game ( 1932) This is a fairly famous one from the same people that a year later were to make the classic King Kong. This film sees Joel mcrea and Fay Wray washed up on a island where they become the prey of a madman who likes to hunt human prey.

4. Dark Eyes Of London ( 1939) Based on Edgar Wallace's story. this is about a series of murders and the bodies dumped in the Thames and involves a crooked insurance scheme led by a sinister owner of a home for the blind. Bela Lugosi and Greta Gynt star.

3.Island OF Lost Souls ( 1933) one of two controversial films on this list of the time. This is the first version of H G Well's novel " The Island Of Dr Moreau". Charles Laughton plays the doctor who experiments on animals and turning them into grotesque animal/ human hybreds. This was actually banned in the U.K, among the cast are Bela Lugosi and supposedly Alan Ladd but try to spot him.

2.The Black Room (1935) i am a big Karloff fan and here he plays a double role of twin brothers one good, one evil. The Bad brother murders the good one so he can become ruler of his country but things don't go as planned. has a good ending.

1.Murders In The Zoo ( 1933) this is the second controversial film and this one was branded horrific for it's time and brutal and sadistic.  A man is very possessive of his wife and will kill anybody who as much as looks at his wife in the wrong way. This film has a memorable and sadistic opening scene and certainly was shocking for it's time and was ahead of it's time. perhaps the first of the " Sadistic shockers". Lionel Atwill is very good and is in his element. film's ending seems a bit laughable these days though.

there you go, if you haven't seen these give them a go. let me know what you think , good or bad. next time i'll do five from the 1940's.

Re: Five Entertaining films Of The 1930's

nice!  Good list, wolfie

Re: Five Entertaining films Of The 1930's

Indeed, I will give all of these films a go. I haven't seen any of them, but eventually, I will have watched all of them. May take awhile though, my movie-to-watch list is endless, and I have been seeing SO many great movies lately.

The Most Dangerous Game sounds the most interesting, as I've read the original short story (which is awesome).

Re: Five Entertaining films Of The 1930's

Interesting list as always Wolfie!  I think I have only seen The Island of lost souls so far.
I will check out the other ones soon smile  I see you didn't include the Universal Movies or Freaks.  I have seen most of those from the 30s.

Last edited by DirtyGirl (2012-06-12 18:32:02)

Re: Five Entertaining films Of The 1930's

DirtyGirl wrote:

Interesting list as always Wolfie!  I think I have only seen The Island of lost souls so far.
I will check out the other ones soon smile  I see you didn't include the Universal Movies or Freaks.  I have seen most of those from the 30s.

that was deliberate Mary. going to try to go for lesser known films, although there may be one or two turn up. there are 2 two biggies included in this 1930's list.

Re: Five Entertaining films Of The 1930's

I've heard of all of these but haven't got around to watching them.  Actually, I probably own them in one of my 200-movie collection packs.

Re: Five Entertaining films Of The 1930's

Wolfie, I just gotta say I love all of your movie articles/lists. Your knowledge on horror and old movies in general seem quite expansive. Cool to see someone who willingly gives back and shares the knowledge!

Re: Five Entertaining films Of The 1930's

The Creature wrote:

Wolfie, I just gotta say I love all of your movie articles/lists. Your knowledge on horror and old movies in general seem quite expansive. Cool to see someone who willingly gives back and shares the knowledge!

thanks Tylor smile

Re: Five Entertaining films Of The 1930's

wolfman1959 wrote:
The Creature wrote:

Wolfie, I just gotta say I love all of your movie articles/lists. Your knowledge on horror and old movies in general seem quite expansive. Cool to see someone who willingly gives back and shares the knowledge!

thanks Tylor smile


Thanks Wolfie for all that you do!!  I always enjoy your lists also big_smile

Re: Five Entertaining films Of The 1930's

DirtyGirl wrote:
wolfman1959 wrote:
The Creature wrote:

Wolfie, I just gotta say I love all of your movie articles/lists. Your knowledge on horror and old movies in general seem quite expansive. Cool to see someone who willingly gives back and shares the knowledge!

thanks Tylor smile


Thanks Wolfie for all that you do!!  I always enjoy your lists also big_smile

then it's all worthwhile then Mary! thanks for your kind words. you really are lovely  and your lists and posts are always entertaining. thanks. have a great weekend xx

Re: Five Entertaining films Of The 1930's

wolfman1959 wrote:

here's another post from me for you to ignore. another attempt at trying to convert some of you to some of the treasures of the old films. apologies to those of you who don't need converting ( hello Creature! ) but i never give up! if i can convert one of you turkeys my job is done. i will post similar topics for the 1940's, 50's 60's and 70's in the near future so be warned! these films are just ones that i found and still find interesting at least. not necessacerily good films but watchable ones and this is just my opinion. as usual let's go in reverse order.


5.The Most Dangerous Game ( 1932) This is a fairly famous one from the same people that a year later were to make the classic King Kong. This film sees Joel mcrea and Fay Wray washed up on a island where they become the prey of a madman who likes to hunt human prey.

4. Dark Eyes Of London ( 1939) Based on Edgar Wallace's story. this is about a series of murders and the bodies dumped in the Thames and involves a crooked insurance scheme led by a sinister owner of a home for the blind. Bela Lugosi and Greta Gynt star.

3.Island OF Lost Souls ( 1933) one of two controversial films on this list of the time. This is the first version of H G Well's novel " The Island Of Dr Moreau". Charles Laughton plays the doctor who experiments on animals and turning them into grotesque animal/ human hybreds. This was actually banned in the U.K, among the cast are Bela Lugosi and supposedly Alan Ladd but try to spot him.

2.The Black Room (1935) i am a big Karloff fan and here he plays a double role of twin brothers one good, one evil. The Bad brother murders the good one so he can become ruler of his country but things don't go as planned. has a good ending.

1.Murders In The Zoo ( 1933) this is the second controversial film and this one was branded horrific for it's time and brutal and sadistic.  A man is very possessive of his wife and will kill anybody who as much as looks at his wife in the wrong way. This film has a memorable and sadistic opening scene and certainly was shocking for it's time and was ahead of it's time. perhaps the first of the " Sadistic shockers". Lionel Atwill is very good and is in his element. film's ending seems a bit laughable these days though.

there you go, if you haven't seen these give them a go. let me know what you think , good or bad. next time i'll do five from the 1940's.

wolfman1959, excellent and valid list,  justified and recommended.

Here's five more rather interesting titles:

Murders in the Rue Morgue (1932)
The Mask of Fu Manchu (1932)
Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street (1936)
The Ghoul (1933)
Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde (1932)

Of course I'm a convert... lol

Re: Five Entertaining films Of The 1930's

Great List.  I'll check these out.  Like Az...I love buying those 50 movie horror packs for 6$...I've got a lot of those and try to watch 3 or 4 in a row when I get some time...Gotta love 60 minute running time..