Topic: The Divide (2012)

This is one seriously demented, F'd film; a fresh but painfully captivating look at what happens when a handful of people are trapped in make-shift bomb shelter after a nuclear attack. It starts  right off with the bomb and gets uglier and uglier. The transformation of the characters in the 2nd half is really spectacular especially when you look back at what they were like in the beginning. The last 45 minutes is just a test in uneasiness.

Here's the trailer but it does not do it justice, making it look more "commercial B" than it is.  But if they were to actually cut a trailer that really represented the film it'd be too weird for most to watch.

Definitely check it out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L1BBJSgbYBM

Re: The Divide (2012)

This was, in my opinion Xaiver Gens best work yet. Micheal Beihn was great in it, as were the rest of the cast. This was another great example of the human condition and how easily we can become monsters that are scarier than any fictional "monsters" out there. Loved this movie!

8/10

I liked Beihn, but I really liked those two guys who went all shaved head freaky. They were absolutely frightening... especially the one guy who started wearing a woman's evening gown and turning all Bi-sexual and psycho. Damn that sh*t got real!!!!. And how about that final shot?

It was a great cast, and a pretty suspenseful film.  I just thought they went all Lord of the Flies really quickly.  And the end was stupid, why would she do that?  It didn't make any sense.  7/10

^ SPOILERS for anyone about to read my post:

She did that because there was only one suit left and she wanted it. She wouldn't be able to trust them and they likely would not have survived without the suit out there. Though her survival is questionable lol, at least she had a chance. I think the ending was good.

Easily Xaiver's best film! I liked the ending too. What made the final scene so enjoyable for me was that, I wasn't at all expecting it, or saw it coming. She made a tough decision, but did what she had to do in a world gone wild.

I think I'm gonna have to watch it again this wk end.

I was not that impressed with this one. 6/10 for me

DirtyGirl wrote:

It was a great cast, and a pretty suspenseful film.  I just thought they went all Lord of the Flies really quickly.  And the end was stupid, why would she do that?  It didn't make any sense.  7/10

It went Flies so quickly due to some sort of contamination we can imagine, which resulted in their eye defects, hair loss etc.  And yeah Vamp_Slayer I think has it right with the "one suit" option.

I actually saw other issues.. namely the dead bodies they chopped up. They'd be stiff; not limber.  Also, when that guy was whacking one up with an axe (off screen - sound effects only) there is NO WAY he could wail  like that without stopping. He must have landed about 20 - 30 whacks one after another in perfect rhythm. There is no way.  Also, the STENCH of that body would be absolutely unbearable and permeate every inch of that bomb shelter. Sure they were covering their mouths etc... but a long dead human body?? Everyone would be vomiting and choking for the duration of the film. But all of that is knit-picking, I guess.

Vamp_Slayer wrote:

She did that because there was only one suit left and she wanted it. She wouldn't be able to trust them and they likely would not have survived without the suit out there. Though her survival is questionable lol, at least she had a chance. I think the ending was good.

Exactly

ChainSaW80 wrote:
Vamp_Slayer wrote:

Exactly

I thought it seemed extreme and out of character.  but the whole movie was a little extreme in the choices that the characters were making.

DirtyGirl wrote:

I thought it seemed extreme and out of character.  but the whole movie was a little extreme in the choices that the characters were making.

Quite so, which is why it made the film so fascinating and a great portrayal of the human condition.

Let's reference something as simple as Black Friday in the States when every year shoppers will trample and even pepper spray each other to get a $50 Blu ray player; or how in Vancouver common hockey fans, your neighbors, guys you go to College with, suddenly SNAP when their team loses the Stanley Cup to Boston and they burn their city, over turns police cars and become people we can't even recognize.  And (as one character referenced in The Divide) that airline crash in the Andes in the 70s when everyone resorted to cannibalism, and using skulls as bowls to survive. If one looks at how seemingly "normal" people like this, in real life situations, can suddenly snap and/or change due to extreme condition, one can certainly understand the extremeness the characters went to The Divide. Less we forget, the situation in The Divide wasn't Black Friday, a hockey game, or a plane crash; this was the end of the world, people trapped in a confined space with dead bodies, possible mind altering contamination, and the threat of those around them. Frankly, I'm surprised it didn't get more extreme in terms of choices and events.

It's strange, but so often when art imitates life, people don't believe it. I mean, when horrific things happen in real life and we read about it in the papers, we take it as fact, and never question it. We understand, sadly, that people can be capable of such acts. But when filmmakers portray similar situations in film, and quite often to a much, much lesser extreme, it's frequently questioned as being authentic to the human condition. You read things like.. "Oh I don't believe that person could...." or "I didn't buy it when, he/she....."  Not citing your views in any way Dirty Girl, I'm just speaking in general.  Maybe I am just a cynic (NO... I am a cynic.... which is what an optimist calls a realist. LOL)  but nothing that a human being does to another human surprises me anymore.   Okay... I'm off subject. Where were we?

Last edited by Bunshinsaba (2012-06-14 08:54:52)

I reeeeally want to see this!! Looks good, hunting it down hasn't been too easy though.

Day of the Dead (85) is a much better directed End of the world/Bunker movie. The Divide didn't hold my interest.

Last edited by Vasquez (2012-06-14 13:01:05)

i gave it a 6