Topic: Favorite time period for American Cinema

What do you think was the best time period for American Cinema?  All Genre's included

I will admit I haven't seen many movies pre 1960, but of course I have seen some.  My favorite time period is easily 1977-1997.  This covers everything from Star Wars, to Pulp Fiction.  Indiana Jones, Back to the Future, Terminator/Judgement Day, THE HUNDREDS OF TEEN COMEDIES coming out in the 80s.  John Hughes being the pinnacle but hundreds more that most people on this site have never heard of.  This time period covers in my opinion the best time for Horror.  Halloween in 78, every single Friday the 13th film in the 80s, every Nightmare on Elm St, every Hellraiser.  The decade of the Horror Sequel. all the way up through the early 90s to where in my opinion good horror was tough to come by.  A lot of people feel that Scream killed horror but I really feel like it brought it back. 

This time period also covers just the straight up best comedies Hollywood has ever made.  Chevy Chase, Bill Murray All the John Landis Eddie Murray films on up into the early 90s where comedy was really great.  Billy Madison, Wayne's World, Tommy Boy, Home Alone.  Comedy has REALLY fallen off these days.  Judd Apatow has made some great films in the last 10 years, Will Ferrell has done some huge things for comedy but in my opinion, the comedy from the 80s and early 90s was far superior to any other era.

Tarantino the Coen Bros(if you have not seen Blood Simple SEE IT.  Coen Bro's directional Debut.  A must see that a lot have barely heard of.  Spielberg, Zemeckis, Tim Burton, James Cameron, Richard Donner, CARPENTER, CRAVEN.  John Williams with brilliant score after brilliant score.  Jurassic Park, Independence Day, Forest Gump. Is it because I grew up during this period that I feel this way?  Probably?

At the same time though, no one can tell me that there was another decade better for teen comedies than the 1980s.  John Hughes.  No one can tell me there was a better time period for campy Horror either.  Just a few of the many reasons I feel 1977-1997 was the best time for American Cinema. 

What is your favorite Era and more importantly, WHY?

Last edited by PrinceofDarkness (2012-06-17 18:15:14)

Re: Favorite time period for American Cinema

Interesting points.

PrinceofDarkness wrote:

John Hughes being the pinnacle but hundreds more that most people on this site have never heard of.

What are you basing this ^ on though?  I would never bet against people on this site being familiar with anything movie related.  The freaks here constantly amaze me with their movie knowledge.  smile

Yea you are probably right about that.  I just figured people on this site wouldn't deal with some of the real horrible yet still good teen comedies of the 80s.  But you are right, I'm sure people here have heard of most that I have.

The 70s

This certainly is a toughie.

The late 70s through the 80s.  The 90s were good, but became too Hollywood compared to the 80s.

At PrinceOfDarkness- you want to pull a John Hughes?  I'll pull Abraham & Sucker with 'Top Secret!' with the Anal Intruder, plus raise you a 'Better Off Dead' with, "Two Dollars!".  big_smile

its either the 30's or the 70's for me.

azathoth wrote:

I'll pull Abraham & Sucker with 'Top Secret!' with the Anal Intruder, plus raise you a 'Better Off Dead' with, "Two Dollars!".  big_smile

Awesome.  Love them.

Haha.  You guys got me.

^^
Curious George rockin' the 80's with a little Van Halen...  lol
http://www.instablogsimages.com/images/2009/04/10/pppppp_gHz4K_6648.jpg

It's all good.  A bunch of us on HM grew up in the 70s/80s.  We just don't talk much about our gentler movie side.  lol

Last edited by azathoth (2012-06-17 21:51:12)

For me, it's the 70s through the 90s, I guess.

70s had wonderful progress in its horror films (Dawn of the Dead is my favorite film of all time - 1978), had some bad ass exploitation & blaxploitation films, etc. There was also Vanishing Point...

The 80s had TONS of awesome horror movies too, it also had some very memorable entries in the science fiction genre, lots of golden action films (Rambo, Robocop, etc).

The 90s had one of my favorite directors, Quentin Tarantino, emerge with Resevoir Dogs, Pulp Fiction, and Jackie Brown. It also had The Terminator 2 (which is a masterpiece), Dazed and Confused, Kevin Smith films, and so many more.

As long as we're talkin bout 80's comedies...

Just the other day was talking to a friend of mine about that scene in License to Drive - Remember when Corey H's character was with his dad in the car?  They were out and saw Mercedes, and Corey wanted to impress her so he dropped the dad off around the corner.  Was just supposed to be for a couple minutes, but he ended up driving Mercedes home (even though he didn't have his license but was too embarrassed to admit that). 

Anyway...the scene that was so funny to me was when the dad was walking home, carrying all those bags...stuff falling out of them...all pissed off.  Was laughing my head off remembering that scene.

In terms of strictly horror I say either 1931 - 1955 or 73 - 1994. Referring to 31 - 55 this is because of various films like Island of  Lost Souls, Frankenstein, The Wolfman, King Kong, House of Wax (53 and 33), Cat People, THEM!, The Thing From Another World etc (see films below for horror films from 73 -1994)

73 - 1995 when considering movies of any genre cause films like TCM 74, Evil Dead, Alien, Aliens, Near Dark, Candyman, NOES original, Day of the Dead, The Thing, Scarface, One Flew Over The Cuckoos Nest, Bladerunner, Casualties of War, Reservoir Dogs, Jurassic Park, Goodfellas or etc. The early 90's is also very dear to me because of amazing animated films (that are better than the sht like Chipmunks thats coming out for kids today) i saw when i was growing up like Toy Story 1 and the Lion King. Some great comedies during this period aswell like Good Morning Vietnam (though not a pure comedy), The Mask, Dumb and Dumber and Home Alone.

1995 - 2012 Definitely goes to foreign movies though. They were significantly more innovative than the majority of films Hollywood released during this period. Notable movies include The Devils Backbone, Battle Royale, The Orphanage, REC, Ringu etc
1890 - 1927 goes to foreign horror/sci-fi aswell with genre defining films from most famously Germany like Nosferatu, Faust, The Cabinet of Caligari and Metropolis.

Last edited by Vasquez (2012-06-18 10:06:21)

The 70's & 80' were ground breaking and are my favorite periods. The horror genre really took off in those decades, churning out the most memorable horror movies, and the SFX really improved, with some great talent entering the industry. Too many great films to name, but you as horror fans already know them.

70s-90s was a pretty great time. 50s and 60s too, though I haven't seen a-lot in that era. But I really should. Anything pre-now is probably better.

Last edited by ispydork (2012-06-18 10:54:33)

70's

Found this 70s website a long time ago and have been trying to watch everything listed.  Ha!

Most of the early 80s films have the same atmosphere as the 70s also smile

80's. Love the 80s slashers and black comedy/horrors.  I am fascinated by the moral panic of the 1980s too so am trying to see as many on the dpp list I can find. Not so easy when some are still banned here.

Ghostseeker wrote:

As long as we're talkin bout 80's comedies...

Just the other day was talking to a friend of mine about that scene in License to Drive - Remember when Corey H's character was with his dad in the car?  They were out and saw Mercedes, and Corey wanted to impress her so he dropped the dad off around the corner.  Was just supposed to be for a couple minutes, but he ended up driving Mercedes home (even though he didn't have his license but was too embarrassed to admit that). 

Anyway...the scene that was so funny to me was when the dad was walking home, carrying all those bags...stuff falling out of them...all pissed off.  Was laughing my head off remembering that scene.

Haha DUDE

first of all that movie kicks ass

second of all Corey Haim kicks ass always, but is extra hilarious in that one specifically.

about a half year ago my friends and I were drinkin' before a night out and watched pretty much the whole thing on Encore or somethin' like that.  The part you talk about I remember very well.  Haims expressions in that movie as so great.  Another real funny part is when he is taking the drivers test and how excited he gets after the first question being so easy. 

And yea Azatoth.  I am straight up jealous that you grew up during the 70s and 80s.  Being alive when movies like Star Wars and Alien hit theaters.  Man.  Fucking E.T. comes out in 1983 and the VERY NEXT WEEK Poltergeist came out.  Get THE FUCK OUTTA HERE!!!

DirtyGirl wrote:

Found this 70s website a long time ago and have been trying to watch everything listed.  Ha!

Most of the early 80s films have the same atmosphere as the 70s also smile

Exactly.  Watched Exorcist last night which is one I have not watched repeatedly like almost every other great 70s or 80s horror film.  Officially love it.  It really feels more like late 70s.  Always been a big movie score guy and I definitely believe that Carpenter was influenced by the Exorcist score, and a also believe the same goes for Phantasm and a bunch of others.  Halloween feels like an 80s slasher for sure.  The atmosphere in Horror movies DEFINITELY started to hit its peak with Exorcist and I'm sure a few others that I don't know about or aren't mentioning..  The rest is history. 

But it is easy to see where 80s horror stemmed from.  It is UNBELIEVABLE how many decent to good horror films there were in the 80s compared to the 90s.  It doesn't get much better than 70s if you are looking for the truly serious horror.  The great thing about the 80s though is there was great horror, mixed with a little comedy.

The 70s.  Ideas were still, mostly, original, technology was evolving to be what it is close to today, you had all the actors from the generation before plus new ones.  it was just great times and great movies came out from horror to mainstream, Halloween, Star Wars, Godfather, Apocalypse Now just to name a few.

Vasquez wrote:

In terms of strictly horror I say either 1931 - 1955 or 73 - 1994. Referring to 31 - 55 this is because of various films like Island of  Lost Souls, Frankenstein, The Wolfman, King Kong, House of Wax (53 and 33), Cat People, THEM!, The Thing From Another World etc (see films below for horror films from 73 -1994)

73 - 1995 when considering movies of any genre cause films like TCM 74, Evil Dead, Alien, Aliens, Near Dark, Candyman, NOES original, Day of the Dead, The Thing, Scarface, One Flew Over The Cuckoos Nest, Bladerunner, Casualties of War, Reservoir Dogs, Jurassic Park, Goodfellas or etc. The early 90's is also very dear to me because of amazing animated films (that are better than the sht like Chipmunks thats coming out for kids today) i saw when i was growing up like Toy Story 1 and the Lion King. Some great comedies during this period aswell like Good Morning Vietnam (though not a pure comedy), The Mask, Dumb and Dumber and Home Alone.

1995 - 2012 Definitely goes to foreign movies though. They were significantly more innovative than the majority of films Hollywood released during this period. Notable movies include The Devils Backbone, Battle Royale, The Orphanage, REC, Ringu etc
1890 - 1927 goes to foreign horror/sci-fi aswell with genre defining films from most famously Germany like Nosferatu, Faust, The Cabinet of Caligari and Metropolis.

Preach on brother.  You listed some fucking great films.  You definitely make a case for the old school horror.  I have a tough time going that far back though.  I love Hitchcock, I can appreciate an old film no problem, but I just enjoy post 1970 a lot more for the most part.

Gardenofstone10 wrote:

The 70s.  Ideas were still, mostly, original, technology was evolving to be what it is close to today, you had all the actors from the generation before plus new ones.  it was just great times and great movies came out from horror to mainstream, Halloween, Star Wars, Godfather, Apocalypse Now just to name a few.

Original ideas from the 70s is definitely true.  Shit like Jaws, Alien, and the movies you named.  Huge Huge Huge moments for cinema.  Definitely bigger than pretty much anything from the 80s.  The thing about the 80s was almost everything was decent or better.  Not very much stuff from the 80s is unwatchable.  Throw on a really shitty teen comedy, Private School for example, and next thing you know you are having the time of your life.  Movies like Private School were the BAD films in the 80s.  Literally like the bottom of every teen comedy list and I would watch it before watching 80 percent of what is in theaters today.