Topic: Hammer Horror Series

I am starting a new series of reviews on the classic Hammer Horror movies.  I am starting with some of my favourites but I may end up going in no particular order at all.   Hammer made around 300 movies so I should stay busy for a while! 

Here is the first review:  Horror of Dracula

http://www.horror-movies.ca/2012/06/ham … 58-review/

Re: Hammer Horror Series

Ooh, I look forward to this review series, DG. I'm not the most experienced with hammer films, so these will be interesting for me to read.

With that said, I love Horror of Dracula. It's tough to say, but it may be my all-time favorite vampire movie, if not for my favorite film to feature Dracula. Christopher Lee is just a bad ass.

Ive been considering watching hammer horror for a while but i have been hesitant. I have got the impression that, coincidentally from a podcast i was listening to yesterday, where they reviewed Horror of Dracula and The Mummy, Hammer is a lot like the Italian Giallos – In that you either love them or are totally bored from them. I do however really like, enjoy and appreciate older movies like Universal's Dracula, Wolfman etc or stuff like House of Wax and House on Haunted Hill and in a way, as the podcast also pointed out Hammer drew inspiration or at least continued the theme from Universal. So u never know i might equally enjoy these films. I do love the artwork and film poster for the Hammer Horror films however. The illustrations for them are fantastic and i view them as similar to The Dude Designs for Hobo With A Shotgun, Madison County etc

Lookin forward to ur reviews and thoughts.

Last edited by Vasquez (2012-06-22 17:39:03)

smiles!!!!

the perfect combination, hammer films and Dirty Girl  tongue   
I know you love your Hammer, Mary and this one is easily the best film that Hammer did. look forward to seeing your work! xx

Thanks so much for having a look everyone smile 

Vasquez-  If you like older films like the Roger Corman Poe series and the Universal movies you most likely will enjoy Hammer as well.  What makes them unique is how well written they are.  There is always a lot of dialogue and good actors to deliver it.   There is not a lot of action early on but usually have a strong finish. 

I would suggest Horror of Dracula and The Curse of Frankenstein to start with.

Hey DG, am I right in assuming that you're the Hammer Horror expert around here?  Well anyway I'm trying to find a film, one that I watched as a child, so the information is scant to say the least, I'll put down what I know about it and if anyone can help me... great.

I think its a Hammer Horror film (it might not be)
All that I remember is this..

Sepia color tone
Two old people (man and wife I think) in a room.
One of them poisons the other
No dialogue (from what I remember)
The house may be isolated, may be on a hill.

I feel like it was the opening scene to a film, but cannot be sure.  Scene probably only lasts a few minutes.

As I'm typing the above I'm realizing what a futile effort this is - given the lack of info.  Anyway, worth a shot, maybe someone will recognize it.

^^
Might be an Amicus film (often hard to tell the difference).  Not ringing a bell off the top of my head.  I'll look around.
And yes, DG is the Hammer pro.

I am wondering if it is one of their Film Noir movies.  I don't know them as well as I know the Horror ones.

The only movie I can think of with poisoning is Whatever Happened To Baby jane?

I'm similar to Creature in that I haven't had much experience with Hammer but I would like to get into them, so this thread is really useful thanks DG. I'll definitely start off with the two you recommended

I can't wait to see what else you review.

Ms.Gorefiend wrote:

I can't wait to see what else you review.

I am a huge Hammer Horror fan and reviewed much of the Dracula series for Zombie-Keeper.com back in the day.  I will definitely read your review for Horror of Dracula, as it is one of my all time favorite films, and chime in on it later.

They are a bit slow, but heavy on gothic atmosphere with top-notch production values for low budget films.  Plus, anytime you get to watch Pete Cushing or Christopher Lee act in any role is time well spent.  Hammer always managed to retain a little class even as their films became increasingly lurid in the 1970s (The Karnstein Trilogy for example).

Some of my all time favorites include Dracula Has Risen From the Grave, Taste the Blood of Dracula, Frankenstein and the Monster From Hell, Plague of Zombies, Twins of Evil, Vampire Circus, Vampire Lovers, and Curse of the Werewolf.  I look forward to reading your reviews for some of these.

I just bought a Hammer Horror Special of the DarkSide magazine. Some very interesting articles, including one on the BBFC''s consistent negative response and later the MPAA's response to the graphic visuals of these films, resulting in several cuts to many films including Curse of Frankenstein. Also has a article on the very early origins of Hammer in 1935.

Last edited by Vasquez (2012-07-25 15:19:05)

DirtyGirl wrote:

I am starting a new series of reviews on the classic Hammer Horror movies.  I am starting with some of my favourites but I may end up going in no particular order at all.   Hammer made around 300 movies so I should stay busy for a while! 

Here is the first review:  Horror of Dracula

http://www.horror-movies.ca/2012/06/ham … 58-review/

Excellent review of one of my favorite horror films.  Christopher Lee is also my favorite Dracula as well as one of my favorite actors.  I hate that Cushing's Van Helsing and Lee's Dracula were not reunited in a Dracula film until Dracula A.D. 1972 and The Satanic Rites of Dracula, when the studio unfortunately decided to move the action from the Victorian period to modern times.  Despite Lee's abscence from the direct sequel and Cushing's from the four that followed Brides, I am a huge fan of the entire series and look forward to your take on them.

Thanks Max!   As soon as I am finished moving,  I intend on writing more reviews.  I just have no time right now sad 

Glad to see another Hammer fan on HM  big_smile

DirtyGirl wrote:

Thanks so much for having a look everyone smile 

Vasquez-  If you like older films like the Roger Corman Poe series and the Universal movies you most likely will enjoy Hammer as well.  What makes them unique is how well written they are.  There is always a lot of dialogue and good actors to deliver it.   There is not a lot of action early on but usually have a strong finish. 

I would suggest Horror of Dracula and The Curse of Frankenstein to start with.

I finally acted on ur recommendation and just watched Curse of Frankenstein DirtyGirl and I gotta say I enjoyed it immensely. The opening shot of the mountains and castle is wonderful aswell as the other elements of visuals and design. It is also as u noted very well written. Am i right in thinking that the mountain background was a painted set. I must right. If it is thats one hell of a amazing job. Peter Cushing of course gives a fantastic performance and his convincing portrayal of Victor Frankenstein as the mad and dangerous doctor/professor really, for me at least make, in large part the exceptional film this is. I give it a 9/10.

Last edited by Vasquez (2012-08-20 20:05:32)

DG, I've been wanting to get into Hammer for ages now, I'm going to follow your reviews and watch every one that you review. Should give me a thorough education, and who better to teach us!

So glad to hear you enjoyed Curse of Frankenstein smile  It is my second favourite film by them.

Just out of curiosity, which Hammer films are your favorite, DG? I mean other than The Horror of Dracula, that one is a given wink

Thanks for asking Ms. Gore,  Here is my Top Ten Hammer!

http://www.horror-movies.ca/2012/03/top … ror-movie/

FYI - Hammer just launched their Youtube Channel. There are a couple full features on there and trailers for existing and upcoming films.

^^^ Great.  More movies to put on my to-watch list.  There's only like a hundred on there already.  Hmph!