Re: Horror Remakes That Surpass The Original

Im a huge fan of the original Last House' but I guess we all have different perspectives of films. Personally, I love films made in the 70's with there minimalist approach to filmmaking. Some prefer todays flashy quick shots and cutaways and shaky camera.

I just like to watch movies, remakes or originals I take them as standalone unless they are sequel or prequels or whatever. Dunno if that makes me not a true movie fan or whatever but I like 70s as much as I like todays more flashy and technically advanced horror. Last house was a fun ride. What I've seen of the original was great but I liked the remake more. Shoot me big_smile I don't care when the film was made if I like it, I like it. Simples.

exactly^

I enjoy quite a few remakes

I just think a lot of them though watchable aren't very good, and almost none are better than the original.

ChainSaW80 wrote:

Im a huge fan of the original Last House' but I guess we all have different perspectives of films. Personally, I love films made in the 70's with there minimalist approach to filmmaking. Some prefer todays flashy quick shots and cutaways and shaky camera.

Ultraviolence wait what?

You like Zombie's Halloween 1 and 2 better than Carpenter's Halloween?  I mean that is perfectly fine, I like plenty of terrible shit, but if you can't tell that John Carpenter's original Halloween is a brilliant piece of art, especially standing next to Zombie's, then I suggest you go back and watch Carpenter's with an open mind, one more time.  Carpenter's Halloween helped transcend Hollywood.  It is considered by a hell of a lot of horror buffs as the best Slasher ever made. 

Everyone's got different opinions I understand, but certain films cannot be denied as being fucking brilliant.  Ha, I'm sorry.

All films can be not liked by anyone.   All films can be like by anyone.  There is no arbiter of taste on HM.  This is the strength of HM, many minds coming together to discuss.

Believe me, I always watch a film with an open mind... I just don't like it. I've not seen zombies halloween 2 and don't think the first zombie halloween is genius. I actually don't like that much either. I just don't like it. Nothing against Carpenter or the film, I just didn't enjoy it. And  I think you misquoted. You quoted chainsaw but aimed your post at me.. Am I mistaken? And like you said, it's considered by a hell of a lot of slasher fans to be the best in the sub-genre, I just happen to be in the percentage that doesn't. Thanks for the suggestion, but honestly how many times should I have to watch it? I've seen it 3 times since last Halloween alone and I just could not enjoy it.

You are right.  Sometimes like you said you just don't enjoy the damn film.  And yea sorry if I misquoted.  Try watching a documentary on it.  Carpenter was a mastermind when it came to that damn film.  Shot for cheap and to this day, still making huge money off of it.

And as I said, it is one thing to simply not like or dislike a movie.  I don't a Clockwork Orange but I can acknowledge that it is a legit piece of art and can recognize it's brilliance.  Same thing goes for a historic movie like Halloween.  It is one thing to not like it.  It is another to not be able to recognize it's brilliance.

Last edited by PrinceofDarkness (2012-07-01 18:12:06)

Agreed.