Re: Phantasm II

Hell yeah! I'm with Jigsaw on this one, too. Bumping this to also so Phantasm II some love!

So glad to see this movie is so loved here smile I should see it again soon.

Im apprehensive about watching this Phantasm 2. The first movie was a very bad movie in my opinion even taking into account its budgetary restrictions. Bad acting, Bad dialogue, Weird kid who follows and watches his brother have sex in the cemetery (WTF! is up with this sequence), Unscary villian, Star Wars sand people as minions. The only good bit is the sphere dagger and that lasts for about 20 seconds. Just generally very boring.

Last edited by Vasquez (2012-04-09 11:37:57)

Love Phantasm 2 alot, but still gotta say the first is the best because of its originality. 2 is extremely entertaining though.

Vasquez wrote:

Im apprehensive about watching this Phantasm 2. The first movie was a very bad movie in my opinion even taking into account its budgetary restrictions. Bad acting, Bad dialogue, Weird kid who follows and watches his brother have sex in the cemetery (WTF! is up with this sequence), Unscary villian, Star Wars sand people as minions. The only good bit is the sphere dagger and that lasts for about 20 seconds. Just generally very boring.

I'd give 2 a chance, even if the first movie was a disappointment for you.

Seriously dudes, the Phantasm series is awesome.

http://i407.photobucket.com/albums/pp153/aceofspades70/f54252c2.jpg

I never got into this series, maybe try to series next week?

Are there  only 4 in this series?

Yes, just four movies, which are:

Phantasm
Phantasm II
Phantasm III: Lord Of The Dead
Phantasm IV: Oblivion

Definitely give them a look if you can, all four are great and worth seeing.

Can't find Lord of the dead anywhere

^^
2 days, $2-  YouTube Phantasm 3 rental

Amazon listings for Phantam 3

Ebay listings for Phantasm 3

the first two are better than the last two Bassi, but all are ok although the third one is a bit of a bore, and the worst of the series.

The whole series is a great one to get into for the first time if you're new to it.

The news is circulating that Phantasm II is coming to Blu-ray this Fall, can't wait for it. I never imagined this would hit Blu-ray, hope it gets a nice transfer and plenty of special features. The best Phantasm movie deserves it for sure.

Hi! New to this forum....

Just re-watched P2 after all these years. I'm suprised people love it so much- and I'm suprised it seemed so much better this time around than it did in 89/90 or whenever I rented the VHS tape. (and I'm VERY pleasantly suprised that there's a place online to discuss it!)

(WARNING: Spoilers, if one can have "spoilers" for a 20+y/o movie)

I consider the original Phantasm to be one of the horror greats- it's arguably the most original movie ever made. It's like a series of nightmares strung together with some big twists- P2 has some of that nightmare quality, especially when the 2nd Ball is chasing them.

Some background: the TV commercial for Phantasm 1 was one of the scariest things I saw as a kid: evil little "monks" who pounce on a kid's bed, a tall Undertaker, things popping out of walls and grabbing people, and a silvery ball with knives flying around through some surrealistic marble hallways. Can you imagine the impact on a 7y/o psyche?

I used to have half of these scenes in my nightmares- especially the kid's hand vanishing into thin air. Just from the 2 minute commercial(!)

I can see the whole Alien/Aliens comarison- P1 is horror, a walk through nightmares whereas P2 is almost action/adventure.

One thing no one's mentioned, could P2 have inspired the Supernatural TV series? Think about it- 2 dudes driving cross country in a muscle car, loaded with weapons to track down monsters. Sounds awfully familiar... So many scenes in this movie look like they were pulled straight out of Supernatural- only Phantasm 2 came first by over a decade.

Last edited by Sutekh (2012-06-22 23:31:16)

Welcome aboard smile

I've never watched Supernatural, but I've heard people talk about the similarities the show has with the Phantasm series. Wouldn't doubt it was an inspiration. It seems Phantasm certainly had it's share on influence on some other works.

I'm a little surprised the quadro-shotgun Reggie uses in the sequels has never been done in a video game or something of the sort before. Although I recall a game in the Alone In The Dark series used a three-barreled shotgun, perhaps it was a homage?

Phantasm 2 is very overrated in my opinion.  It is in NO WAY better than Phantasm.  There are a few scenes in Phantasm that simply are CLASSIC horror movie moments, and there are no surpassing moments in Phantasm 2. 

The first time we see the Tall Man lifting the damn Casket into the Hearse is like the best shit ever.  As is when the lil guy sees Tall Man STRUTTING across the street.  That is just about the scariest daytime scene I've ever watched.  The way the music is used in Phantasm 1 is so much more perfect than phantasm 2.  The scene where tall man stands over the kids bed and all of Tall Mans servants grab the bed and pull him under.  Hell the scene where Reggie and and Jody are playing guitar "I'm just sittin' here at midnight, I'll be sittin here to till noon.  My lady left me lonely, my baby left me blue."  That one scene did more for me than basically anything in Phantasm 2.  The very last scene in Phantasm when Reggie is sittin there humming the same song, and the Phantasm theme is playing over the melody he is humming.  The melodies don't match at all and it gives a SCARY ass feel. 

I strongly agree with the poster above who said Phantasm 1 is quite possibly the most original film ever made.  Craven was influenced heavily in my opinion by Phantasm.  The Tall Man standing over your bed, the whole nightmarish feel.

I dno, Phantasm 2 is just a fucking 80s horror action movie.  There is nothing unique about it except for the parts that carried over from the first film.

I love Phantasm.  Not a huge fan of the second film except for the first 25 minutes or so.

I agree, P2 is action/horror, much more action than horror. It's like "Phantasm: the Video Game" where they battle the monsters that were scary in the first movie. (Were there first-person-shooters when P2 came out?)

Saw another movie where they have music played over music- it's a very jarring 'technique'. See how a scene can be scary without being scary? He's just singing and playing guitar, yet it builds up suspense. When I think of P1 I always think of the horror and shock scenes- but there's also that underlying mystery or 'magic' that's everywhere in childhood.

The scene that always gets to me is the reveal (SPOILER!!!) about his older brother.

Holy Shit that guy is lifting a heavy casket so scary! Please

I've heard from people that Angus Scrimm can scare the crap out of you any time you meet him.  Apparently, he has an air about him even when he's at a convention and joking around.

Yeah, Angus Scrimm and Julian Beck are high in the Creepy Factor!  smile

^^
Ever get to meet them? I know you've to a few shows.
And as creepy as the Monkey Stalker?  lol

The Monkey Stalker is much creepier!  He could do his own movie!  big_smile

PrinceofDarkness wrote:

Phantasm 2 is very overrated in my opinion.  It is in NO WAY better than Phantasm.  There are a few scenes in Phantasm that simply are CLASSIC horror movie moments, and there are no surpassing moments in Phantasm 2. 

The first time we see the Tall Man lifting the damn Casket into the Hearse is like the best shit ever.  As is when the lil guy sees Tall Man STRUTTING across the street.  That is just about the scariest daytime scene I've ever watched.  The way the music is used in Phantasm 1 is so much more perfect than phantasm 2.  The scene where tall man stands over the kids bed and all of Tall Mans servants grab the bed and pull him under.  Hell the scene where Reggie and and Jody are playing guitar "I'm just sittin' here at midnight, I'll be sittin here to till noon.  My lady left me lonely, my baby left me blue."  That one scene did more for me than basically anything in Phantasm 2.  The very last scene in Phantasm when Reggie is sittin there humming the same song, and the Phantasm theme is playing over the melody he is humming.  The melodies don't match at all and it gives a SCARY ass feel. 
P
I strongly agree with the poster above who said Phantasm 1 is quite possibly the most original film ever made.  Craven was influenced heavily in my opinion by Phantasm.  The Tall Man standing over your bed, the whole nightmarish feel.

I dno, Phantasm 2 is just a fucking 80s horror action movie.  There is nothing unique about it except for the parts that carried over from the first film.

I love Phantasm.  Not a huge fan of the second film except for the first 25 minutes or so.

I think the reason I liked Phantasm II so much better is because of the action. I agree that the first film has many classic and iconic scenes but lacked when It came to the action. I like the original Phantasm but I think the big gap between the first and second is the reason we got two very
different films. Coscarelli injected the sequel with a serious dose of the 80's and that's why I liked it better I think.

Sutekh wrote:

I agree, P2 is action/horror, much more action than horror. It's like "Phantasm: the Video Game" where they battle the monsters that were scary in the first movie. (Were there first-person-shooters when P2 came out?)

Saw another movie where they have music played over music- it's a very jarring 'technique'. See how a scene can be scary without being scary? He's just singing and playing guitar, yet it builds up suspense. When I think of P1 I always think of the horror and shock scenes- but there's also that underlying mystery or 'magic' that's everywhere in childhood.

The scene that always gets to me is the reveal (SPOILER!!!) about his older brother.

I don't think FPS games were around back then, but some light gun games may have been.

I wouldn't be surprised if Aliens inspired much of P2. The two movies share a lot of similarities, and it isn't just the action-oriented approach they both go for either.