Topic: Slasher Movie Marathon: Pick the last movie!

So I'm planning a slasher movie marathon with the theme "History of the Slasher", watching the greatest, most influential & iconic slasher movies. At the moment I have Peeping Tom, Halloween, Nightmare on Elm Street, and Scream. I want one more. Initially I was going to go with Black Christmas, but then I thought as I have one movie each from the 60s, 70s, 80s, and 90s, maybe I should go with something from the 2000s.

There are really only two viable options from this decade: Saw and Final Destination. So here's what I want to know:

1. Do you consider Saw a slasher movie at all? It's certainly the more iconic of the two movies from the last decade, but I'm not sure if it qualifies, although I've seen it appear on slasher lists before...

2. Should I go with a 2000s movie (and which one) or stick with Black Christmas?

3. While we're on the topic, what are everyone else's favourite themed movie nights?

Re: Slasher Movie Marathon: Pick the last movie!

We've done these themes so far-

Grindhouse -  ('Planet Terror' & 'Death Proof')
Drive-In Night -  ('The Giant Gila Monster' & 'Bubba's Chili Parlor')
1970s Haunted Houses-   ('Legend of Hell House' & 'The Sentinel')
Linda Blair Night -  ('Exorcist' & 'Hell Night')
Franchise Origins -  ('Resident Evil' & 'Final Destination')
Lovecraft -  ('Re-Animator' & 'From Beyond')
Werewolves-   ('The Howling' & 'An American Werewolf in London')
Quirky Horror Movies-   ('Night of the Creeps' & 'The Convent')
Christmas Horror-   ('Silent Night, Deadly Night' & 'Black Christmas')
Valentine's Day Horror -   ('Valentine' & 'Return of the Living Dead 3') 
Early Peter Jackson -  ('Dead Alive' & 'Bad Taste')

And the next one is going to be Comedy Horror with Shaun of the Dead, Dale & Tucker, and Return of the Living Dead  (7/28/2012!!!- get your tickets early)

Saw is more of a suspense horror than slasher.  Destination is good.  How about the My Bloody Valentine (2009)?  Fairly good in my opinion.

While I do love those 2 series' I do not consider either of those slashers, go with:

High Tension or Wrong Turn if you want modern.

Although I also love Black Christmas, go with A Bay of Blood (Mario Bava) if you want another very influential one.

Edit: Az I agree that MBV from 2009 is really entertaining, I feel like he was staying awayfrom remakes for the modern ones and trying to go with more original ones. However of that is not the case there are plenty of other slashers to go with and MBV (2009) should be an option among many!

Last edited by Vamp_Slayer (2012-07-08 14:39:11)

Go with  Bava's Bay of Blood thats one of the first slasher ever and extremely influential on the american slasher genre so essential to its history. Though i recently watched it i assume its safe to say some of u guys haven't (don't mean any disrespect if u have) I definitely wouldn't classify Saw as a slasher though.

Wrong turn 1 is not a slasher either and not a particularly significant or good movie anyway. (Like aza i do like WT 2 better than 1 though to the extent that i enjoy it for what it is)

Last edited by Vasquez (2012-07-08 14:47:30)

Bay is good, I was trying to satisfy his 2000's slot.
Though I like Wrong Turn 2 better that 1.  But that's just me. 
@V_S- It was the first one that popped into my head.  <shrug>

Last edited by azathoth (2012-07-08 14:40:56)

Although I mentioned Bay as well, I agree with Az, trying to fill the 2000 spot.
Edit: oh I didn't mean any disrespect Az! I was struggling to think of ones that weren't remakes as well haha!

Last edited by Vamp_Slayer (2012-07-08 14:42:16)

What about Behind The Mask: The Rise of Leslie Vernon for the 2000 one. Would be a interesting combination.

Last edited by Vasquez (2012-07-08 14:55:29)

How about American Psycho, Wolf Creek, Jeepers Creepers, Cold Prey, High Tension, TCM remake? I'd consider any one of them better examples of slasher movies then Saw or Final Destination.

Modern slashers:

House of 1000 corpses
Laid To Rest
Hatchet
Behind the mask- the rise of leslie vernon
midnight movie

can't really think of any others that aren't remakes

Malevolence is also a possibility

i agree that neithier "saw" or " Final destination" are not slashers. what about "i saw what you did last summer" ?

Last edited by wolfman1959 (2012-07-08 15:12:21)

How about the indie thriller/slasher Cry Wolf? I'd qualify it as a candidate for a slasher.

Ok, I think Saw is out for sure - like I said I wasn't convinced of it as a slasher but I wanted to hear what other people thought.

Behind the Mask is an interesting choice to follow Scream, but perhaps for another night.

I'm not ruling out Final Destination yet (not a traditional slasher, but I think it still works as one), but I'm leaning more towards Black Christmas (it did introduce many of the classic slasher tropes), or Bay of Blood. Or perhaps an Argento? Deep Red? Tenebrae?

The 2000s just don't have the kind of iconic slashers previous decades had...

If you are looking for a slasher from the 2000's there is...

Cold Prey aka Fritt Vilt (2006)
Wolf Creek (2005)
The Lost (2005)
Reeker (2005)
Rest Stop (2006)
Murder Party (2007)
The Strangers (2008)
Amusement (2008)
Borderland (2007)
Storm Warning (2007)
Gutterballs (2008)
Midnight Movie (2008)
Broken (2006)
Laid to Rest (2008)
Shallow Ground (2004)
Mum & Dad (2008)
Trailer Park of Terror (2008)
Hills run Red (2009)
The Collector (2009)
Baby Sitter Wanted (2008)
Chain Letter (2010)
Bereavement (2010)

To name a few

Hell if u wanna go even older than Bay of Blood (Twitch of The Dead Nerve) for the first film in the marathon try Bava's Blood and Black Lace from 64.

Oh Blood and Black Lace is really really good. Great atmosphere and looks awesome on screen.

Lottsa good suggestions in this Thread.

* Edit * Don't care bout the question I posed.

Last edited by Ghostseeker (2012-07-08 15:55:28)

Midnight Meat Train

Just watched Bay of Blood... love it, but I'm not convinced the group I'm watching these with will like it... or any giallo film come to think of it...

Might have to mull it over a bit more, perhaps look into some of the modern suggestions. I might end up sticking with my original choice, Black Christmas.

This thread has also given me the idea for my next movie night, "Deconstructing Horror":

Scream
Behind the Mask
Cabin in the Woods
Tucker and Dale

Midnight meat train is brilliant. Bloody as anything and really good fun, funky ending though. Tucker and dale = awesome.

Saw is excellent but I agree it's more splatter thriller rather than slasher. FD could be classed a supernatural slasher but doesn't have the traditional stalking killer in a mask, fun films though.

Giallo wise, go for the excellent Deep Red. Argentos best imho.

Nice list for your deconstruction night. Join us for our comedy horror night on the 28th!