Topic: Carrie (1976)

Spoilers(if you haven't seen this movie then shame on you)

This movie blows me away every damn time I pop it in.  I had seen it a bunch on TV when I was younger, but I didn't realize back then how great it is.  The movie is so much more than a Horror movie.  Sue and her friends torment Carrie from the start, and Sue's concsience finally caught up to her.  She was actually trying to be nice and had her boyfriend Tommy take Carrie to the prom, despite the viewer thinking the whole time that she has an evil plan.  Carrie getting asked to go to Prom completely turns her life from crap to beautiful.  She is actually happy about something and that is what Sue wanted all along.  Nancy Allen and John Travolta are of course the ones that have the pig blood dumped on Carrie, and Sue and Tommy knew NOTHING about it.  This is something that got past me until a couple years ago when I rewatched it. 

So after all that you have to imagine how Sue feels.  She begged and begged her boyfriend to take Carrie to prom, and though she was completely genuine about the whole thing, all of her friends and Carrie included were killed.  Sue is the only one left to take the blame and will haunt her forever as we see in the ending.  HOW FUCKED UP IS THAT MOVIE?  hahah

Re: Carrie (1976)

As i have stated many times before i much prefer the book to the film adaption. More interesting narrative approach i think.

I think because the book is original material, it has more shock value. Especially as it is a slower build and therefore a lot more tense.

I enjoy the film, who doesn't like a film with gallons of pig blood, but overall I thought the book was better.

I think with Misery, although they left out quite a few parts, they got the casting so perfectly spot on with Kathy Bates that it enhanced the book so that in my mind at least, they complement each other, and are almost as good as each other. I certainly can't re-read Misery without picturing Kathy Bates as Annie. Whereas Carrie just didn't pack the same sort of punch for me

The movie is also Stephen Kings favorite adaptation of one of his books.  By far.  Rightfully so.  But yes, the original piece I'm sure is even better than the movie.

I always thought he said Stand By Me and The Mist were his favourite adaptations?

I saw a documentary that aired brand new on AMC about 4 months ago and I'm pretty sure he said Carrie is what he feels is the best adaptation of one of his works.

It was called Night at the Movies with Stephen King I think.

Last edited by PrinceofDarkness (2012-07-01 21:07:00)

Carrie was the first King book I ever read.  The De Palma flick was pretty interesting and I did like it, but like so many other adaptations of King's work - the book was better. 

I actually prefer King's early stuff more so then his latter.

Last edited by Omega Man (2012-07-01 21:09:27)

Carrie, was the first Stephen King novel that I completely read. I even did a book report on it. The book is so much better than the film, nobody can deny that. But prior to reading the novel, I had watched the film adaptation a lot of different times, hell that was my favorite film! Now that I have full knowledge of what King really had in mind, the film disappoints me. I enjoyed the 'remake' of the film, that was made in the 2000s, because it was actually the story-line of the novel.

I thought the movie was really outstanding and I have also seen remake, which i thought okay but still yet to read the whole book.

Also how is Carrie 2? I never seen it, i am planning on watching it this weekend.

Last edited by BASSI (2012-07-07 15:44:22)

Carrie is a brilliant movie. Carrie 2 is much the same just more modern but isn't that good.

I actually enjoyed The Rage: Carrie 2, maybe because I was bit younger when I watched it. I still like it to this day, and since I have glasses I always cringe at the scene where the girls glasses shatter in her eyes. I view that film as it's own, which is how I love it even more. Like if you are a fan of Rocky Horror, and watched Shock Treatment. You must keep an open-mind that this will not be exactly the same film. Overall, I love everything related to Carrie, I even found the soundtrack at F.Y.E for $3, and I freaked out. It is such a great score, and I always drift off into another world while listening to it.

It's a good film, just isn't THAT good. Meaning isn't Carrie 76 good.

I saw Carrie back then in a theater when it came out. I really liked it back then. I remember the ending cause everyone jumped it was weird cause it didn't seem like anyone jumped but since we all did it was still at the same eye level if ya get what I mean.

All the times after that I've watched it was ok but just not the same.

Not a big fan.  I think Sissy Spaceck does fine in it, as does Amy Irving, but I for one thought Piper Laurie's performance was borderline camp.  I'm not a fan of Brian DePalma in general, but I do think he's made much better films than this one. 

In other words -- enh. hmm

The theme song is so beautiful and sad.

I think Carrie is a masterpiece, in general. The film is an okay adaptation to King's novel, but pushing that aside the film looked on its own is really good. The only problems I might have with it are the missing plot holes. But that's also why I have read the book. >:D