Topic: Wolf Creek!

Has anyone seen Wolf Creek?  (made in Australia)

It's awesome!

It is one of my favorites in my Foreign Collection!  smile

Re: Wolf Creek!

^^^ Seen it.  Not a fan.  But that's not to say that I don't understand its appeal to others.

LoudLon wrote:

^^^ Seen it.  Not a fan.  But that's not to say that I don't understand its appeal to others.

Well, me personally I love Aussies so I love the accent and the scenery.

I also love horror movies where they are are out in the middle of no where, SECLUDED and there is no one to help them.  lol

They were in the middle of the outback on a abandoned mining farm!  smile

Not a chance to be rescued!

^^^ Not a chance to be rescued...from one guy, in the vastness of the outback where if you turn your head in any direction, you'll see a wide open escape path LOL

Again, I'm not hating on fans of the flick.  It's very well-made and delivers in terms of violence and all that -- but afterward I was hit with the realization that I'd just had the wool pulled over my eyes by a real pro. lol

LoudLon wrote:

^^^ Not a chance to be rescued...from one guy, in the vastness of the outback where if you turn your head in any direction, you'll see a wide open escape path LOL

Again, I'm not hating on fans of the flick.  It's very well-made and delivers in terms of violence and all that -- but afterward I was hit with the realization that I'd just had the wool pulled over my eyes by a real pro. lol

I understand. Not everyone will like every movie the same. No problem. smile

I thought the acting was pretty good too. smile

And again, just being out in the middle of no where! Oh! Just gives me the shivers! lol

no! also didn't like it. very slow, very boring and way over rated. average at best.

wolfman1959 wrote:

no! also didn't like it. very slow, very boring and way over rated. average at best.

To each their own for sure but bare in mind that The Blair Witch Project also had a VERY SLOW START. Just a bunch of teenagers horsing around. I continued to watch it anyway and it got REALLY good.

Wolf Creek combined those same themes and set out to copy from both The Blair Witch Project (slow start and teenagers going on an adventure) ) and The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (crime in total seclusion)

Dark Mistress aka Dracula's Wife

I enjoyed it. I especially liked the scene where the girl gets her spine severed.

Ms.Gorefiend wrote:

I enjoyed it. I especially liked the scene where the girl gets her spine severed.

Oooo I know! That was twisted!  LOL

I also liked the psycho's LAUGH.

I agree this is a very good movie but i wouldn't count it as one of my favourites. A great psychotic performance by the killer accompanied with genuinely disturbing imagery (specifically in his 'torture shed') that really engages and sticks in ur mind. Not seen it for a while though, only cause i git sick of FILM4 showing it every 2 weeks. I cant remember if they are doing a sequel to it or not.

I gotta go with Lon & Wolfster.  Dumb decisions in a cabin in the woods, OK, I can roll.  When you can just start walking down the road... not so much. 

**Spoiler**  click and drag to see text
What really tipped it for me was when the guy slipped the knife into the girl's back, severing her spine.  First, the odds of slipping between the vertebrae is about 1 in 50, based on size.  Then you have to not puncture the abdominal aorta, which is directly in front of the spinal column.  Sorry, this guy doesn't look like a skilled surgeon to me.
** end spoiler **

But if you like it, good for you.  We all like different things.  The spice of life and all that, right?  Ah cha cha cha! lol

But if you like it, good for you.  We all like different things.  The spice of life and all that, right?

Of course.

azathoth wrote:

I gotta go with Lon & Wolfster.  Dumb decisions in a cabin in the woods, OK, I can roll.  When you can just start walking down the road... not so much. 

What really tipped it for me was when the guy slipped the knife into the girl's back, severing her spine.  First, the odds of slipping between the vertebrae is about 1 in 50, based on size.  Then you have to not puncture the abdominal aorta, which is directly in front of the spinal column.  Sorry, this guy doesn't look like a skilled surgeon to me.
** end spoiler **

But if you like it, good for you.  We all like different things.  The spice of life and all that, right?  Ah cha cha cha! lol

Hate to say it but arent u just way over analysing/nitpiicking there aza

^^
Have you read any of my reviews, Vas?  Though I do admit that I can be inconsistent with my nitpicking.  We let things like kitchen knife decapitations go, because everyone knows you can't do that.  It was something that instantly sent my brain off- it was played too straight.

DarkMistress wrote:
wolfman1959 wrote:

To each their own for sure but bare in mind that The Blair Witch Project also had a VERY SLOW START. Just a bunch of teenagers horsing around. I continued to watch it anyway and it got REALLY good.

Wolf Creek combined those same themes and set out to copy from both The Blair Witch Project (slow start and teenagers going on an adventure) ) and The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (crime in total seclusion)

Dark Mistress aka Dracula's Wife

arrgghhhhhh! you swore Dark Mistress! you mentioned the Blair Witch Project! the most over rated horror film ever !!! i don't like that one even more! i'd agree it got better towards the end but all swearing, shouting and snot! i'd rather see Wolf creek again than that over rated hyped up piece of averageness. neithier are the worst films ever made, far from it and if you are a fan that's fine. that's the thing about this site we do not  knock each other for liking something the other doesn't like and it would be so boring if we all liked the same thing. at least you're a fan of the older horror films like me so that makes you all right with me! smile

It may be nitpicky, may not, but if so...a lot of us do that with different things...things that wouldn't bother someone else.

For me tazers that knock people out, and people that constantly rack shotguns even after a round would be in the chamber...drives me insane and can ruin an otherwise good movie.  Probably is a bit nitpicky.

That said...I'm a Wolf Creek fan.  Thought it was really entertaining, and an "edge of the seat" kind of movie.  I went into it really not knowing what it was about, and even started wondering if it was going to have a UFO theme during that part towards the beginning with the lights.Have never seen it again though, and not sure I would want to.  Thought the knife scene described above was sick (in a good horror way), and really pissed me off (in a good horror way).

Guess I don't think the characters actions were as unbelievable as some, and if I was going to pick a movie where the characters had an obvious way to escape, but didn't take it for a dumb reason...this movie wouldn't be it.  That's me though, and not defending the movie for those that didn't like it.

wolfman1959 wrote:

you mentioned the Blair Witch Project! the most over rated horror film ever !!!

Blasphemy!  smile

Ghostseeker wrote:
wolfman1959 wrote:

you mentioned the Blair Witch Project! the most over rated horror film ever !!!

Blasphemy!  smile

Bollocks ghosty Bollocks ! smile

azathoth wrote:

** end spoiler **

Some movies require a suspension of disbelief. There are those I can roll with and others I can't. This was just one of those I had an easy time going along for the ride. Had it had a more psychological bent, I'd have had a more difficult time with it. Sometimes you just have to take it for what it is. I totally get what you're saying though.

wolfman1959 wrote:

arrgghhhhhh! you swore Dark Mistress! you mentioned the Blair Witch Project! the most over rated horror film ever !!! i don't like that one even more! i'd agree it got better towards the end but all swearing, shouting and snot! i'd rather see Wolf creek again than that over rated hyped up piece of averageness. neithier are the worst films ever made, far from it and if you are a fan that's fine. that's the thing about this site we do not  knock each other for liking something the other doesn't like and it would be so boring if we all liked the same thing. at least you're a fan of the older horror films like me so that makes you all right with me! smile

^^^ I think the Blair Witch Project is one of the best straight horror flicks of the last twenty years, so...I forgive you. tongue

Ghostie -- normally I'm forgiving of horror films when it comes to character logic.  For instance, in the real world, no one in their right mind would wander off into the woods to investigate a strange noise, but in a horror movie they kind of have to in order to present the opportunity for horror.  I understand that most horror flicks rely on this fractured logic, and there's not much we can do but reluctantly accept it.

My problem with Wolf Creek, however, is that it doesn't present itself as a fictionalized horror flick.  Much like the first Hostel flick, it dares to not merely claim, but boast that it is based on actual fact.  As such, it surrenders the right to be illogical.  And Azzie's right about the head on a stick thing; if it was just a matter of poking somebody willie-nillie in the back with something sharp, acupuncturists would be the most highly sued demographic in the world.

Now, I know that when it comes to horror flicks I can get awfully demanding; pedantic; even elitist.  But if you're going to base a flick on reality, you've pretty much bound yourself to the laws of reality.  Break those laws and you've voluntarily given yourself up for a good verbal rippin' and cries of "Bullshit!" from snobby, asshole horror fans like me. lol

Last edited by LoudLon (2012-07-16 14:55:03)

LoudLon wrote:

^^ This! But Lonny knows how to word things much better than me haha! I liked the villain. He was frikkin scary! The ending pissed me off. Why should someone who suffered so little get away while the 2 who actually endured something didn't? Felt a bit betrayed almost.

^^^ I think the Blair Witch Project is one of the best straight horror flicks of the last twenty years,

Me too.

It was a low budget film done on the fly and they didn't even have a script!

What I liked about The Blair Witch Project was that it was lifelike (no music or Hollywood special effects) and I could just FEEL myself there in the woods with friends and hearing the sound of the sticks like someone walking yet there was no one there. It really played on your imagination.

Some of the BEST horror flicks  have zero special effects and were done on the fly and very low budget! lol

Dracula's Wife

@Ghosty-  Oh man, recocking guns over and over again....
You get a gun, you cock it.  30 seconds later, bad guy/monster shows up and person says "Time to kick ass" and recocks it.  Why not just stand there recocking the gun(s) until they're empty!  Argh!

(Will be funny to see what Swollen has to say about this post)

One of my FAVORITE scenes in the movie was when they were being towed away in his truck.
It was  late at night and dark and showing the lines on the road with spooky sounds playing  as they were being towed away you just knew that they were in deep trouble being taken God knows where. I love that scene.

Dracula's Wife

Last edited by DarkMistress (2012-07-16 18:47:00)

azathoth wrote:

@Ghosty-  Oh man, recocking guns over and over again....
You get a gun, you cock it.  30 seconds later, bad guy/monster shows up and person says "Time to kick ass" and recocks it.  Why not just stand there recocking the gun(s) until they're empty!  Argh!

(Will be funny to see what Swollen has to say about this post)

Ha!  I was just watching an episode of Supernatural last night where Sam cocks a pump-action shotgun and tosses it to Dean, who then immediately cocks it again.  lol

But the biggest "rifle cock" (heh) mistake is in Evil Dead (and again in Army of Darkness).  Ash very obviously carries a double barrel shotgun.  Double barrel shotguns are cocked by manually depressing both hammers with your thumbs.  But anytime Ash cocks the rifle off-screen it's accompanied by the "CHK-CHK" sound of a pump-action shotgun. lol

Last edited by LoudLon (2012-07-16 18:54:55)