Topic: What do you want form a zombie movie?

I know what i want. i want a different story. I just dont want the usual people locked in a house cliche. We have a unique spin on the topic.  Check out our kickstarter
page http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/abs … i-am-alone

Checkout our story it s not your usual zombie movie. make sure you watch the entire video.
spread the word if like it.
rob

Re: What do you want form a zombie movie?

1) I'm in a cranky mood.
2) I watched the video, and the plot is nothing unique.
3) I can't figure out what IMDB credits you have after "20 years of making films."
4) You're really treading the thin line on spam right here.

What I want from a zombie movie:  a unique perspective.

That said, I agree with Azzie that this whiffs strongly of spam.  Unfortunately I don't have mod caps in this particular forum, so...

Last edited by LoudLon (2012-07-16 18:45:30)

Hey I just me you
And this is crazy
But I want a zombie movie
And this threads spammy

Zombie movies primarily always involve the zombies and a group of people. There is so much to the drama of transformation...  the human element if you will of a zombie movie is what makes our story unique... I can't name a single movie like that. We think its a great spin on the genre... Hopefully some of you will believe in us how we believe in the project.

^^^ I agree.  I'm tired of how in zombie movies it's always a group of people holing up in some building somewhere in an effort to wait out the problem or whatever, only for their own personalities to conflict.  It was interesting the first time it was done in Night of the Living Dead, but hundreds of zombie movies later and that premise has been done to death.  Not to mention that the more survivors you have holed up, the less time we the viewers are given to get to know them because there are half a dozen others we have to meet as well. 

This is one of the many reasons why I love AMC's The Walking Dead.  It drops its characters into the middle of a zombie holocaust, then actually allows them to move about in that world rather than just board themselves up somewhere.  And since it's an on-going series, we don't have to learn all there is to learn about a character during his first appearance; we get to learn more about them with each new episode.

One alternative -- the one you seem to have opted for -- would be to make a zombie movie which focuses on one man.  But this can be tricky, as witnessed by the embarassment that was the I Am Leged adaptation starring Will Smith.  There has to be enough going on around him to keep the viewer engaged, to keep the viewer from getting tired of looking at the same mug for ninety minutes straight.  It can be introspective but still have a lot going on in the world around him (like in the superior indie zombie flick Shatter Dead).

As for the drama of transformation, that story actually has been told before, in the low-budget flick I, Zombie.  But that shouldn't deter you.  There's nothing new under the sun, man.  As convinced as you might be that your idea is completely unique and original, I guarantee that idea's been executed before, and likely many, many times. 

Which is why it all comes down to what I mentioned above.  You, as a filmmaker, have one thing that no other filmmaker has: your own unique perspective.  Your goal is to take that familiar storyline and pour it into the sieve that is your perspective, so that what comes out on the other side is distinctly yours.

Last edited by LoudLon (2012-07-16 23:29:01)

^^
Also, there's Colin (2008), though I don't know how much time they spend on the transformation process. 

The one guy in Return of the Living Dead, and the girlfriend in RotLD3 go through some long transformations.

But as Lon just said above- don't bother going around trying to compare it to anything else.  Do your thing, let it sink or float on it's own merits.  And I was a bit short with you on my first post.

I totally get it.. i know nothing reinvents the wheel . We all want to find that certain thing that makes us tell as original story as we know otherwise why try at all... The universe is totally full of movies and although i've seen a lot must leave little to no impression and get that. i watched colin in the last few weeks. Love the idea but it didnt do it for me. My film will be hopefully creating a sense of realism and horror...  Its never an exact science but we think we've done our math correct. 

Any zombie movies you can recommend? Pontypool was interesting hoping that followup comes out son.

Well,  I want MORE fast and agile zombies like in Dawn of The Dead (2004).

THat's easy.... what I want from every single movie I watch... good well-written characters with interesting and relevant dialogue exchanges.

Azz is right, ROTLD3 did a long slow transformation of Julie.  Also Zombie Honeymoon had a slow transformation as well.   I really enjoyed that one and there have been several others that show what's going on from the perspective of the zombies like Dead Heads and Ahh Zombies.  Juan of the dead was really unique with their approach to the Zombie genre,  check that one out.

I would take Bun's advice and make sure it is well written, that is the most important part of the film!  I can forgive bad make up and FX in an Indie movie, but not bad dialogue.

I wanna see a zombie movie from a military response point of view. We always see glimpses at how the military handled a zombie outbreak in several films like The Walking Dead or Day of the Dead but there is never a main focus on this aspect. I realize WWZ does go into detail about it in some of its chapters e.g The Battle of Yonkers but im very apprehensive about the pg13 film. I wanna gritty movie that has this military aspect of its primary focus, perhaps incorporating character within the military from privates to colonels etc. It would be like a Zombie/War movie.

to Bunshinsaba:
Thats our goal is to focus on good strong well written characters. People who you root for. People who you'd be said to see lost to the zombie virus. Thats my approach with this film. its all about making sure we care about whats happening. In this scenario our Host is literally in the weeds... Isolation and misinformation can be just as dangerous... Make one bad decision one way or the other and you're a goner.

We'll also have a mixed bag of zombies but i too enjoy the fast moving zombies...

My perspective as a writer/director is to take what has been working and make it more character driven. if you check out my kickstarter page and scroll down you can watch my short found footage sci fi short.   It's been getting a nice festival run so i think people dig it... maybe you guys will too.

Last edited by AbstractForces (2012-07-17 12:34:45)

Really scary and savage zombies. I mean really nasty zombies. Zombie movies are never gory enough or savage enough for me. I dunno if it's because I haven't seen enough indie projects where theres a little less self censorship going on. I always expect more from them because of the canabalism and often come away from them thinking, well that was a bit flat hmm

Incidently, and this isn't me bragging -- but I have some experience with screenwriting (sold one script, had another which was a finalist in a competition) so if you ever want to bounce some ideas around, I'm just a PM away.  Like most horror fans who take up screenwriting, I also have a zombie story in the works.  It's called A Dead New World, and I posted a section of the script here a couple years back (it was first draft, very overwritten and has changed a great deal since).

At any rate, if you ever want to talk shop, drop me a line. smile

Last edited by LoudLon (2012-07-17 13:24:34)

LoudLon, I'm always up for talking shop. Did u happen to attend FrightFest in Louisville a few weeks ago.?i was there with my short film. Crazy town... Lots of awesome people. Bourbon good.

I lived right across the bridge from Louisville for almost twenty years, but I moved 3 1/2 hours away a couple years back and have only been back sporadically, so -- no, didn't make it to Fright Fest. lol

Louisville has a pretty decent local filmmaking community as well, but that's to be expected considering it's a college town.  I worked with a couple guys on some indie and no-budget flicks a few years back, giving story advice, did some uncredited (and unpaid) script rewrites, stuff like that.  I used to be big on helping out aspiring filmmakers like that back in the day.

At any rate, if you ever have anything you'd like some honest feedback on, I'm here.

Although I see a fine line to walk with Smart/agile zombies, they make for better adversaries.  Seeing a team of zombie hunters who are well seasoned and prolific zombie killers would rack up the gore count (big must for zombie flicks) and put humans on the offense in the zombie Apocalypse.
I agree that the dramatic slow change of a main character give you a lot of room to flesh out the tension and emotions needed to make us care about the ''good Guys/gals''.

...and brains...lots of brains.

JackBurton wrote:

Although I see a fine line to walk with Smart/agile zombies, they make for better adversaries.  Seeing a team of zombie hunters who are well seasoned and prolific zombie killers would rack up the gore count (big must for zombie flicks) and put humans on the offense in the zombie Apocalypse.
I agree that the dramatic slow change of a main character give you a lot of room to flesh out the tension and emotions needed to make us care about the ''good Guys/gals''.

...and brains...lots of brains.

i like the idea of smart and agile zombies.  i could see a board room discussion of sleazy wallstreet zombies planning their next move.  zombies don't usually speak.  zombies that can speak clearly would be an interesting take.

to answer the original question, i like humor in zombie movies.  i like the zombie movies that have come out over the last few years that made light of the zombie idea.

You know what I'd like from a zombie movie? One where instead where the zombie is portrayed as vigilante instead of an antagonist. Sort of like Blade or Ghost Rider, who use their powers to fight the forces that made them that way.

that would be fun.  who would they fight though?  other zombies or vampires or something?

or would he "only eat bad guys"?

groovygoolies wrote:

that would be fun.  who would they fight though?  other zombies or vampires or something?

Check out Vampires vs. Zombies.  Or rather, don't, the movie sucks hard.

I'm interested in undead animals like bears, sharks, wolves, etc.

HypnoticDead89 wrote:

I'm interested in undead animals like bears, sharks, wolves, etc.

that would be wild.  i would like to see a zombie bear.