Topic: The HM Comic Book Nerd Thread

Surprised we haven't had one of these created considering the number of funny-book fans on the site, so, thought I'd start one up.  So, herein you can discuss any- and everything comic-book related.  Fanboys, rejoice.

To kick it off, I thought I'd post this surprisingly well-done, live-action, fan-made versus match I recently saw on another site I frequent (don't worry, it's not a horror site -- I'd feel like I was cheating on HM lol ) featuring Batman vs Captain America.  While the guy in the Cap suit could stand to put on some weight (Cap IS supposed to be the pinnacle of human perfection, after all) the fighting and stunts are top drawer -- and the CG aspects aren't completely horrible.  What's exceptionally cool is that this is in interactive video; you get to actually pick who will win, and will be taken to a short clip showing your chosen hero finishing the other one off.  It's very well-done, and I hope the folks who made it bring us more versus matches.

At any rate, here you go -- Batman vs Captain America:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_BVqa4gpdM

Re: The HM Comic Book Nerd Thread

Nice Video Lon smile

I am not a huge Comic Geek, but my son is.  He loves the Marvel characters especially.  He has read all the Deadpools and the New Avenegers and is working on the classic Spidermans now.

I tend to go for the fantasy comics myself....  I am reading the Buffy Season 8 series now, The Walking Dead, Fables, and Anita Blake series.   I just picked up a few Hellraisers, but I haven't started them yet. 

Can anyone suggest a good Horror themed Comic for me?

Spawn is not too bad and then again Ghost Rider is sort of horror themed.

My love of horror is mainly relegated to movies and TV shows; when it comes to comics I'm more a superhero kinda guy lol  That said, I have read my share of horror titles and some I'd recommend are...

Y'know what, nevermind.  I had just written out a long list, then I hit google to find the title of a series I couldn't remember.  Then I saw this...

http://www.goodreads.com/list/show/3033 … ic_Novels_

...and it has pretty much every title I had written down, and then some.  You can't go wrong with any of the titles on that list. smile

Nice,  I have seen the Lovecraft ones at the Comic Store.  They look pretty good!

I will give Spawn and Ghost Rider a look see....I have read some of the Hellboys (my son reads them)

^^^ I'd most strongly recommend stuff like Locke & Key, and the Swamp Thing books written by Alan Moore.  During Moore's run on the title back in the 70s, ST was one of the best books around, and was almost pure gothic horror.  Individual issues will cost you a fortune but you can pick up collected editions for reasonably cheap.

Also, and I forget if it was on that list, a few years back there was a graphic novel adaptation of the Richard Matheson book Hell House (upon which the movie Legend of Hell House was based) which was very well done, and contained all the graphic sex and violence the movie didn't bother to include.

I going to have to look for that Hell House one now!  I love that movie, but I haven't read the book yet.

Great read.  And quite different from the movie in some respects.

I am reading Frankenstein Alive Alive, by Steve Niles, it’s a new take on the legend starting after the original story. Nice homage to Frankenstein in the back of it as well.

I also picked up the new Crow book from IDW

I have a Predator vs Batman comic digged up somewhere in my closet. It was my fathers, and I think he was even more of a Batman-nut than me because when he was still living here he had a big collection of Batman comics he may have taken with him after the divorce. I do plan on giving Predator Vs Batman a read again if I find it, and I have no idea who will win but I'm placing my bets on Batman.

DG -- another one you may want to check out is Victorian Undead.  I've yet to read it but I've heard a lot of good things -- namely that it involves a zombie outbreak and some guy named Sherlocke Holmes.

Going to the Comic book store tonight.  I have to drop my son off, so I will have a look around  smile

Bought the two Victorian Undead books tonight.  Sherlock Holmes vs zombies and Sherlock Holmes vs Dracula.   Had to order in the Hell House one.

Well, look at who's a comic nerd now.  We'll have you arguing who'd win in a fight between Superman and Hulk before you know it. big_smile

Finished Sherlock Holmes Vs Zombies and am now reading the Dracula book.  They would make fantastic movies!  Hopefully someone will make them  smile

Right on.

You ready for that Hulk vs Superman thing yet or do you still need a bit more exposure? lol

I am going to stick to my gothic ones for now.  I may check out Alex's Deadpool ones  smile

I LOVE The Walking Dead I buy the graphic novels.  The Living Corpse is a fave of mine. I want to get the new one coming out with Roddy Piper killing monsters
http://www.grindhousecomics.com/files/c … 1ceb98.jpg

Being that I live way out in the sticks, it's not often I get the chance to go to the cities and visit an awesome comic book shop. But yesterday was my buddy's birthday, so we decided to celebrate by driving up to a comic store and buying up lots of cool stuff.

I didn't have much money to spend (pay check hasn't come in yet), but I did pick up the first graphic novel of The Walking dead, lots of issues of the Nightmare On Elm Street series, and a Toxic Avenger comic. All of them are fun reads so far.

But man, that store was geek heaven. There was even a 'Magic: The Gathering' tournament in the back (Which yes, I do play from time to time). Classic rock on the overhead speakers, thousands of comics, action figures, cards, collectables, etc. Fun place.

thedeadshallrule wrote:

I LOVE The Walking Dead I buy the graphic novels.  The Living Corpse is a fave of mine. I want to get the new one coming out with Roddy Piper killing monsters
http://www.grindhousecomics.com/files/c … 1ceb98.jpg

I love the TV series but am leery about checking out the comics because I don't want anything ruined for me. lol

Creech -- there was a place I used to go to often before I moved called The Great Escape, in Louisville, KY.  Talk about geek heaven...everything from comics to movie collectibles to action figures to old Famous Monsters of Filmland, Fangoria, Gorezone, Psychotronic Video Guide, old NES and SEGA games...if you're a geek and could think of it, the Great Escape had it.

Man, I miss that place!

^ Sounds fugging awesome. Especially for the horror collectables, I would freak.

The Creature wrote:

Being that I live way out in the sticks, it's not often I get the chance to go to the cities and visit an awesome comic book shop. But yesterday was my buddy's birthday, so we decided to celebrate by driving up to a comic store and buying up lots of cool stuff.

I didn't have much money to spend (pay check hasn't come in yet), but I did pick up the first graphic novel of The Walking dead, lots of issues of the Nightmare On Elm Street series, and a Toxic Avenger comic. All of them are fun reads so far.

But man, that store was geek heaven. There was even a 'Magic: The Gathering' tournament in the back (Which yes, I do play from time to time). Classic rock on the overhead speakers, thousands of comics, action figures, cards, collectables, etc. Fun place.

awesome, that sounds like our local comic store.  My son plays Magic every thurs night there.

Sigh- when I lived out in NJ, I was about 5 miles away from Kevin Smith's shop.  I never went.  Yes, you may beat me now.

Where'd we put that monkey club again, guys? tongue

azathoth wrote:

Sigh- when I lived out in NJ, I was about 5 miles away from Kevin Smith's shop.  I never went.  Yes, you may beat me now.

What?  My friend made a special stop there for on her vacation!  lol

I finished the Undead Victorian Books...I really enjoyed them.   I picked up Hell House and Clive Barker's Tapping the Vein today.