Topic: In Depth - Non Horror that deserves to be called Horror and WHY?

What non horror films deserve to called Horror and most importantly WHY?

Personally my definition of Horror is pretty broad. One film i would like to highlight is This Is England. Such a tragic and affecting film accompanied by some appropriately beautifully affecting music. Some parts dealing with racism were truly disturbing and Im not ashamed to say this film nearly moved me to tears in the ending scenes. If thats not horror i dont what is. Another film i have mentioned extensively is the very powerful film City of Life and Death.

Last edited by Vasquez (2012-07-22 06:38:53)

Re: In Depth - Non Horror that deserves to be called Horror and WHY?

Haven't seen them, but by their descriptions I find them to be dramas.  Is Schindler's List a horror to you?
Horror is meant to scare you; drama can disturb you 3 ways to Sunday, but is it trying to scare you?

This is just my opinion, and once again, I haven't seen your 2 examples, so...

Id say Schindler's List is in my opinion a horror film. Id say the REAL systematic extermination of millions of people is horrifying.

Last edited by Vasquez (2012-07-22 07:24:11)

^^
The act is, but the movie isn't.  For me.   I think we are approaching the question from different standpoints.  That's cool, happens all the time here.  So I think I'm going to step out for now and let you see what others think.

Sorry V, Not a Horror movie for me either.  Lots of Dramas blur the lines when it comes to subject matter, but I think it has to do with how the movie is presented in the end.

If Schindler's List isn't horror then City of Life and Death definitely is. Its a way more shocking film.

DirtyGirl wrote:

Sorry V, Not a Horror movie for me either.  Lots of Dramas blur the lines when it comes to subject matter, but I think it has to do with how the movie is presented in the end.

et again the wise and wonderful Mary hits the nail on the head! it's all in the way it's presented. take the film " The Woman" that i saw last night, i didn't like it much because of the way it was presented. to me it didn't get it's message over to me as powerfully and effectively as it should have done.

Last edited by wolfman1959 (2012-07-22 09:12:06)

azathoth wrote:

^^
The act is, but the movie isn't.  For me.   I think we are approaching the question from different standpoints.  That's cool, happens all the time here.  So I think I'm going to step out for now and let you see what others think.

Said perfectly.
And different standpoints or not... lumping Schindler's List into horror movie night with the likes of Friday the 13th and The Burning would just be wrong on any and every level.

Bunshinsaba wrote:
azathoth wrote:

^^

Said perfectly.
And different standpoints or not... lumping Schindler's List into horror movie night with the likes of Friday the 13th and The Burning would just be wrong on any and every level.

Ok guys i get ur points and maybe with respect to Schindler's List im to a degree wrong but i definitely think putting City of Life and Death within horror is justified. Ok I wouldn't put it together with Friday the 13th because its a totally different category (though still think its horror) and that regard it would be totally wrong. Some of the images presented in City of Life and Death are SHOCKING however (for example lets just say one involves a japanese soldier and a small chinese baby) and have a even greater impact when u realise they actually happened.

Last edited by Vasquez (2012-07-22 09:23:14)

^^
Relax, relax.  We're all friends here.  We all have different opinions; no one is getting up in your grill about anything.

I'd call Schindler's List an historical drama.  It may feature some horrible acts but the thrust of the film is the dramatic telling of a man searching to redeem himself from wartime horrors he's allowed himself to be part of.  In no way would I consider this a horror film.

City of Life and Death I look at the same way.  It features horrific scenes, but their intent isn't to horrirfy.  Rather, their intent is to show the viewer the evils that men are capable of under extreme conditions.  I don't think there's anything even remotely horror-movie about either of these films.

But, this is all just my opinion, as others' are theirs.  And since an opinion is not fact, nobody here is right or wrong.  Let's all remember that. smile

What is horror to one might not feel as 'horrific' to others. Martyrs I'll put this one in always falls into the horror genre but I found as more of a drama with horror elements. The del toro movie pans labyrinth scared me to no end, everytime that creature with the eyes in its hands really bloody scared the crap outta me but it falls into the fantasy drama sub genre while I'd personally put it in horror because of its truelly terrifying monsters.

LoudLon wrote:

... nobody here is right or wrong.

Except me.  I'm always right.  Or you will get flung poo!  lol

But seriously, Lon is right.  There is no "right or wrong."  And the 1st Rule on HM is - "Respect."  Just because I like Ghosts of Mars or Lon cares little for Jaws means nothing, besides the fact that I have better taste in films than he does.  tongue

Last edited by azathoth (2012-07-22 12:07:41)

Fair enough i respect all your opinions, sry if i sound too aggressive. To me though this is my definition of Horror

A piece of art (book, film or other) that evokes disgust,abhorrence, horror or has disturbing aspects, either suggested, explored, which are central to the movies concepts or explicitly communicated.

Therefore while watching City of Life and Death i was horrified. Therefore a consider it a 'Non-Horror Horror' movie. Note that i dont view it a a exploitation type of horror movies that deal with similar subjects as I recognize the serious humanistic message that it holds.

I don't think that just because a movie depicts something horrific necessarily makes it a horror film. Like DG stated, a lot has to do with how it's presented. I think with horror movies, not only do they take a horrific event but they embellish on it more and put more emphasis on a spooky atmosphere and set pieces. I mean, Saving Private Ryan is a war movie, war is horrifying and there is plenty of gore but its never intended or presented as a horror film by Spielberg. He uses facts and history to show the drama and emotion of the situation.

I think there are films that are easily labeled as horror, others are not so much. Movies like Silence of the Lambs and Seven are more thrillers bit they walk a fine line in my opinion. In no way would I consider Shindlers List a horror film by any stretch, Spielberg wasn't making a horror film when he did it and it doesn't even come close IMO.

Last edited by ChainSaW80 (2012-07-22 13:22:11)

^^^ Exactly.

Personally, I see Silence of the Lambs absolutely as a horror flick, just much better acted and directed than most.  It does its best to invoke your fear, to make you squirm, to bring you into the movie itself (notice all the shots of characters looking directly into the camera as they speak -- like they're implicating us, confiding in us, explaining to us).  But the biggest deciding factor for me is the fact that it's a story about a psychopath who kills women, skins them and uses their flesh to make himself a woman suit.  Now if that ain't horror, I don't know what the hell is. lol

As for Seven, I don't think it toes the line.  I think it sits comfortably on the "thriller" side of the line.  The things which occur in it are horrific, but they're less designed to scare the audience than to give insight into the demented mind of the killer.  And while Silence also allows us insight into the killer, it does so not only by having Clarice investigating him, but also by showing us the killer in action in scenes which are indeed designed to scare us.

I know I'm kind of walking the line here myself in trying to explain why I would see one as horror and the other not, but that's my take and I'm stickin' to it. lol