Damn i forgot about Near Dark

My revised list again

1. Aliens
2  Day of the Dead
3. Near Dark
4  The Evil Dead
5. NOES

Honorable mentions - Night of the Creeps, The Thing, Friday the 13th Part 4

Last edited by Vasquez (2012-07-16 16:55:59)

Re: Top 5 80's Horror films

LoudLon wrote:
ChainSaW80 wrote:

No need to slap yourself over "The Fog", everything I have ever seen says 1980, including my DVD. Everything on the web says it was released in Feb 1980. It was however filmed from april-may 1979. Apparently though, Carpenter did a lot of re-shoots because the film "didn't work" for him. Supposedly nearly a third of the film we see today is all re-shoots.

Lon can maybe elaborate on why it came out in '79, or maybe he was joking?

Nope, not joking.   

The movie was filmed in the spring of '79, yes; then, with just a handful of weeks before its release date, Carpenter went back and added the extra scenes (mostly the murder scenes, with the drunks getting stabbed and sliced on the boat, for instance) because the studio decided it didn't have enough punch for what was then the growing splatter fanbase.  He finished the additional scenes and
submitted his new cut dangerously close to the last minute, and the flick was released in December of '79.

Because the final print was turned in so close to the release date, the flick wasn't available for early
critics' screenings, who likely wouldn't have got to it anyway because they were too busy watching last minute Oscar flicks (fall/winter is the season most Oscar contenders are released, so they're still fresh in the critics' minds when the Academy Awards roll around a couple months later).  Most pro critic reviews rolled in a week or two after its release, and at least one (by Roger Ebert) didn't see
print until late January/early February of '80, despite him having seen the film weeks earlier.

So, y'know, suck it. tongue

interesting, Lon. So why does everything I found say '80? What is your source? Did it have a limited early release then re-released in feb 1980? Or are you actually saying that since a review wasn't released until feb '80 that that's why everything on record shows it being released in 1980? Did we really keep they bad of records back then...Lol

Not tryin' to question ya, just curious.

release years of films can often contradict. i log every film i see and i always go by the date at the end of the closing films credits or in the case of older films the date at the end of the opening credits.

ChainSaW80 wrote:

interesting, Lon. So why does everything I found say '80? What is your source? Did it have a limited early release then re-released in feb 1980? Or are you actually saying that since a review wasn't released until feb '80 that that's why everything on record shows it being released in 1980? Did we really keep they bad of records back then...Lol

No problem, it's all good.  To answer:

I don't normally google stuff but just to be safe I googled the release date, and not every source lists the flick as being released in 1980.  TCM, amazon and a bunch of others all list it as 1979, as well. 

Taking that into consideration, I'll hesitantly compromise and guess it must have been given a limited release before going national a couple months later.  I do distinctly remember seeing TV spots for it, and explicitly remember seeing back-to-back TV spots for both The Fog and Fulci's Zombie one night while up late watching the Sammy Terry show and them scaring me something awful, and this was around the time of my 8th birthday (which was mid-October, 1979).

As for a source, I don't need a website to tell me when something happened when my memory, which I trust implicitly, is telling me otherwise.  I'm sure that makes me sound like an arrogant prick, but so be it.  IMDB's wrong. big_smile

The Shining has to be on that list

HORRORKID wrote:

Overrated in my opinion and definitely will not be on my list. Book is far better.

Vasquez wrote:
HORRORKID wrote:

Overrated in my opinion and definitely will not be on my list. Book is far better.

To each his own

HORRORKID wrote:

Oh yeah...how did I forget that one?  I guess I thought it was 70s  smile

There was a poll on here a few months ago about what decade people think was the best for horror.  If I remember right, 80's won.

Friday the 13th is a great one, I'd have it in the top 3or 4 of the series.  C'mon...exploding eye in 3D?  Awesome.

To hard, I am not even going try to pick!
The lowest I got to 35, i can't get  any lower!

LoudLon wrote:
ChainSaW80 wrote:

I don't normally google stuff but just to be safe I googled the release date, and not every source lists the flick as being released in 1980.  TCM, amazon and a bunch of others all list it as 1979, as well. 

Taking that into consideration, I'll hesitantly compromise and guess it must have been given a limited release before going national a couple months later.  I do distinctly remember seeing TV spots for it, and explicitly remember seeing back-to-back TV spots for both The Fog and Fulci's Zombie one night while up late watching the Sammy Terry show and them scaring me something awful, and this was around the time of my 8th birthday (which was mid-October, 1979).

As for a source, I don't need a website to tell me when something happened when my memory, which I trust implicitly, is telling me otherwise.  I'm sure that makes me sound like an arrogant prick, but so be it.  IMDB's wrong. big_smile

No, you don't sound like an arrogant prick at all. I had heard you mention on the boards before that the Fog was from '79. I didn't realize you was serious, so I was just curious about what the deal was.

Thanks for the info.

Edit: I just double checked my DVD of The Fog and it turns out, I lied, it does say 1979 not 1980.
Creatch, get to slappin' boy! tongue

Last edited by ChainSaW80 (2012-04-11 12:01:05)

LoudLon wrote:
ChainSaW80 wrote:

interesting, Lon. So are you a beer guy

I don't normally drink beer but when I do I perfer Country club 40's. big_smile

Moderately interesting

ChainSaW80 wrote:
LoudLon wrote:
ChainSaW80 wrote:

No, you don't sound like an arrogant prick at all. I had heard you mention on the boards before that the Fog was from '79. I didn't realize you was serious, so I was just curious about what the deal was.

Thanks for the info.

Edit: I just double checked my DVD of The Fog and it turns out, I lied, it does say 1979 not 1980.
Creatch, get to slappin' boy! tongue

Ah, how sweet doth taste the teat of justice... lol

Jeez....a top 5 for 80's horror films.....shit.....

I hate doing lists like this because inveitablly something gets left off due to forgetfulness but I'll take a shot at a very rough general Top 5:

1.Hellraiser
2.Hellbound:Hellraiser 2
3.Jason Lives! Friday the 13th Part 6
4.Creepshow
5.An American Werewolf in London

There are so many others I would put on the list if it were longer, but that's not a bad rough shot (and I was glancing at my collection as I did it) I could probably come up with a top 50-100 of my favorite 80's horror films a bit more easily (I don't actually know if I could hit either number but it might be fun to try at some point)

In no order:

1) Sleepaway Camp (b/c I love the dark humor and the psychological aspect of the movie. Love the scene with Aunt Martha. Actually, the Sleepaway Camp series is my favorite Horror franchise. Love Part 2 and 3, also.)
2) Slumber Party Massacre (love the main character, Valerie, played by Robin Stille (r.i.p.) who takes it her own hands to fight against the "driller killer".)
3) Splatter University  (this 80s horror gem doesn't get enough credit, lol)
4) Night of the Demons (Angela in her black wedding dress, lol. Love all theh characters, esp. Roger, the token black guy, lol).
5) F13 part 4 final chapter (Jason is so vicious in this one. Crispin Glover is a bonus, haha.)

Last edited by vika (2012-07-16 13:55:00)

This was really difficult. In no particular order:

The Thing
Near Dark
Return of the Living Dead
A Nightmare on Elm Street
An American Werewolf in London

Honorable mentions: Hellraiser, Evil Dead 1 & 2, F13, The Lost Boys, Day of the Dead

See, these kinds of lists are always difficult for me because I can break them down into numerous subcategories.  Best mainstream 80s horror, best low budget 80s horror, best 80s sci-fi/horror, best 80s slasher, best 80s Italian horror, and on and on. 

I would dare say it's cruel to ask us to limit ourselves to just five. lol

LoudLon wrote:

I would dare say it's cruel to ask us to limit ourselves to just five.

Ok Lon, fair enough...we'll let you pick six...Go!  smile

Ah, jeez.  Six???  That's even worse.  Think of all the great movies I had to cut out in order to get just five, and now you're asking me to go through all of them again pick just one???

I like you, Ghostie, but you're an evil, evil man. lol

PrinceofDarkness wrote:
deadhorse13 wrote:

I love me my 80s films; however, I think the 70s was a far better decade for horror - very few 80s features were seriously minded, most added a certain element of humor to the mix which, for me, steals from their impact.

My five would probably go something like this:

The Fly
Hellraiser
The Serpent And The Rainbow
The Thing
Day Of The Dead

with special mentions to The Evil Dead and Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer

now the 90s had to be the worst decade for horror - yikes! lol

ah you like 70s Horror far better than 80s?  Very interesting.  I feel like in the 80s though there were just so many more Horror films released.  Sequels upon sequels.  A TON of enjoyable Horror was released in the 80s.  Most of it wasn't great.  Some was.  But almost all of it was watchable and enjoyable in only an 80s way.

Halloween, TCM, Alien, Hills Have Eyes.  I see your point about the 70s and you are 100 percent correct about the 80s having so much more humor.  I just know so much more about films that came out in the 80s than I do about films from the 70s.  I can't imagine that horror films were coming out in the 70s at the same rate they were being released in the 80s.

And I like your list by the way.  Just recently watched Hellraiser.  Scary as shit.  The Fly
is as good as it gets.  Can definitely tell you like the serious Horror better by your list.  And it doesn't get much better than The Thing.  Kurt Russel is just about my favorite actor.  That dude in Big Trouble in Little China is hilarious.  Hilarious in Death Proof as well.

I have to agree with Deady on this....I prefer Horror movies from the 70s over the 80s.  For exactly the same reason, most 80s movies add humor to them.  I prefer a more serious tone.

And as for more Horror films coming out in the 80s, that's probably true but if you want a good reference for 80s movies check out this website....   

http://www.80shorrormovies.com/

There is a 70s one also, but I am having trouble finding it right now.

The ones I've watched so far: (not by rder).
- The Thing (1982)
- Aliens (1986)
- The Evil Dead II (1987) also count The Evil Dead (1981).
- The Lost Boys (1987)
- The Burning (1980) best teen summer camp slasher of all time.

Most Likely in order:

The Shining
The Evil Dead
The Thing
A Nightmare on Elm Street
Evil Dead 2: Dead by Dawn

Last edited by HORRORKID (2012-07-19 11:48:27)

Many of my favorite horror films are from the 80s, so it's hard for me narrow them down to a list of my top five.  Here goes:

1.  Day of the Dead (1985):  This is my favorite Romero zombie film and favorite horror film period.  I consider Tom Savini's makeup and gore FX in this film to be his finest work and John Harrison's score is among my all time favorites.  It's supposed to be Romero's response the the Reagan administration, so it doesn't get much more 80s than that.

2. Return of the Living Dead (1985):  As much as I love Day of the Dead, ROTLD to me is the ultimate 1980s horror film.  From the classic punk rock soundtrack and characters, hilarious dialogue,  awesome makeup & gore FX, and Linnea Quigley nude for nearly the entire movie, ROTLD has got everything you're looking for in a party movie.  The original poster art is one of the coolest ever.

3. Re-animator (1985):  Man, 1985 was a great year for zombie movies!  Stuart Gordon's masterpiece is still one of the most unhinged horror films ever made featuring some of the most unforgettable set pieces and imagery in horror history (David Gale's talking severed head among them).

4.  Fright Night (1985):  I guess 1985 must be one of the best years in horror, ever.  Anyway, I love vampire films and as much as I love, love, love The Lost Boys, Fright Night was more my thing with it's love for classic horror tropes, campy comic vibe, and creative monster FX.

5.  Night of the Creeps (1986):  This was one of the first horror movies I rented on VHS back in the good old days of mom n' pop video rental stores and I've loved it ever since.  If you love monsters, NOTC has something for everyone from aliens, to zombies, to slugs, to psycho axe killers.  Plus, it's got Russ from National Lampoon's Vacation and Tom Atkins, who has some of the best one-liners in movie history, in one of his own favorite roles.

Rounding out the top ten would have to be the visual treat that is A Nightmare on Elm Street 3:  The Dream Warriors (1987), Lamberto Bava's ultra chaotic answer to Evil Dead, Demons (1985 again!), the film that made Bruce Campbell a cult legend, Evil Dead 2 (1987), Fred Dekker's homage to the Universal monsters and equally awesome follow up to 1985's Night of the Creeps, The Monster Squad (1987), and the over-the-top sequel to one of the most original and underrated horror franchises, Phantasm 2 (1987).

From the blockbusters like An American Werewolf in London, The Lost Boys and Poltergeist, to video store cult classics like Night of the Demons, Scacrecrows, The Dead Pit, there's just too many great 80s movies out there.  While many prefer the 70s, I think the 80s made horror fun again, which is what I personally prefer.

DirtyGirl wrote:
PrinceofDarkness wrote:
deadhorse13 wrote:

I love me my 80s films; however, I think the 70s was a far better decade for horror - very few 80s features were seriously minded, most added a certain element of humor to the mix which, for me, steals from their impact.

My five would probably go something like this:

The Fly
Hellraiser
The Serpent And The Rainbow
The Thing
Day Of The Dead

with special mentions to The Evil Dead and Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer

now the 90s had to be the worst decade for horror - yikes! lol

ah you like 70s Horror far better than 80s?  Very interesting.  I feel like in the 80s though there were just so many more Horror films released.  Sequels upon sequels.  A TON of enjoyable Horror was released in the 80s.  Most of it wasn't great.  Some was.  But almost all of it was watchable and enjoyable in only an 80s way.

Halloween, TCM, Alien, Hills Have Eyes.  I see your point about the 70s and you are 100 percent correct about the 80s having so much more humor.  I just know so much more about films that came out in the 80s than I do about films from the 70s.  I can't imagine that horror films were coming out in the 70s at the same rate they were being released in the 80s.

And I like your list by the way.  Just recently watched Hellraiser.  Scary as shit.  The Fly
is as good as it gets.  Can definitely tell you like the serious Horror better by your list.  And it doesn't get much better than The Thing.  Kurt Russel is just about my favorite actor.  That dude in Big Trouble in Little China is hilarious.  Hilarious in Death Proof as well.

I have to agree with Deady on this....I prefer Horror movies from the 70s over the 80s.  For exactly the same reason, most 80s movies add humor to them.  I prefer a more serious tone.

And as for more Horror films coming out in the 80s, that's probably true but if you want a good reference for 80s movies check out this website....   

http://www.80shorrormovies.com/

There is a 70s one also, but I am having trouble finding it right now.

I'm a fan of 70s horror, but prefer the 80s for the reasons you mentioned.  Thanks for the link to 80s Horror Movies!  I plan on going through their database, hopefully to discover and/or rediscover some old gems.