Topic: Hell Night

Going to finally give this one a chance tonight.  Got a new computer so I was checking so movie streaming sites which I don't normally check and came across this one.  I know it is pretty popular but I know very little about it, though I do know it is produced by the producer of Halloween.  It also seems to be one of the better 80s slashers according to a couple things I read...

Do you all recommend it?

Re: Hell Night

I really enjoyed it.  Also, Linda Blair.

PrinceofDarkness wrote:

Going to finally give this one a chance tonight.  Got a new computer so I was checking so movie streaming sites which I don't normally check and came across this one.  I know it is pretty popular but I know very little about it, though I do know it is produced by the producer of Halloween.  It also seems to be one of the better 80s slashers according to a couple things I read...

Do you all recommend it?

I love Hell Night.  For one, it stars a totally cute Linda Blair.   For two, the whole thing takes place in an awesome haunted mansion with a great back story.  Like Terror Train, I used to think this took place on Halloween due to all the costumes, but it's not Halloween, it's rush week and the whole thing is part of a pledge (I think).  It takes a little while to get started and is a little low on gore, but don't let that deter you, as there's tons of atmosphere, plenty of 80s goofiness, and one heck of a wild finale to make it all worth while.  I have this on DVD and love watching it along with Tobe Hooper's The Fun House and Terror Train.  If you dig those two, you'll certainly want to catch Hell Night.

Last edited by Maxwell (2012-07-25 19:11:36)

Dang it, I went and re-watched Bride of Re-animator last night because somebody mentioned it in a thread, now I want to pop in Hell Night.  Heck, it's on Netflix!

niiice Im definitely a big fan of Funhouse...

We watched this for a Movie Night several months back.  Had lots of fun tearing this one apart. lol

LoudLon wrote:

We watched this for a Movie Night several months back.  Had lots of fun tearing this one apart. lol

Bah!  You gotta know what you're getting into.  Halloween it ain't, but I think it's lots of fun.  It's certainly a product of it's time, which is perfectly fine to me.

PrinceofDarkness wrote:

niiice Im definitely a big fan of Funhouse...

I don't think Hell Night or Terror Train are anywhere as good as The Funhouse, but I think if you're a fan of early 80s slashers, you'll be sure to enjoy it.  Let us know what you think.

Oh, we knew what we were getting into.  Half the fun was knowing beforehand what we were going to be poking fun at. lol

If you're able, you should drop by this weekend.  Check out the Skype hello thread and Azathoth's movie night announcement for info.  They're usually a kick and a half, depending on how many people show.

LoudLon wrote:

Oh, we knew what we were getting into.  Half the fun was knowing beforehand what we were going to be poking fun at. lol

If you're able, you should drop by this weekend.  Check out the Skype hello thread and Azathoth's movie night announcement for info.  They're usually a kick and a half, depending on how many people show.

Unfortunately, I do not have a camera on my laptop yet, but that does sound like it could be fun.  Mine didn't come with one, but I know they're not too expensive.  I just need break down and get one this year.

Oh, we don't video chat.  Voice and text only. smile

LoudLon wrote:

Oh, we don't video chat.  Voice and text only. smile

So, you can just post in the thread for that particular movie night?  I might be down with that some time.

@Max- what, you think we want to look at Lon's mug for 6 hours?  (Oooh, feel the burn. 
Banning commencing in 3... 2.. 1. ) 

But seriously, stop by if you can, even if it's in the middle of a movie time.  It's just a bunch of horror fans getting together and... well, whatever happens. big_smile

Skype has both text and voice chat.  You can do one or the other or both during the session.  Basically what we do is, you log on to Skype (be sure to give Az your Skype username in the Skype Hello thread).  On Movie Night, he'll send you an invite on Skype to join the group.  You accept the invite, and voila, you're good to go. 

Before the movie starts, Az will ask everyone to sync up their movies (DVD, video file on your PC, youtube video, whatever) then he'll do a countdown.  He says "Go," you hit play, and Bob's your uncle.  From that point on, we watch and talk.

Have this one on good ole VHS might give it a rewatch tomorrow

What???  No way did it take me four minutes to type that (going on the time difference between my post and yours).

And dude, there are far worse thing to look at for six hours than my face.  My ass, for instance. big_smile

azathoth wrote:

@Max- what, you think we want to look at Lon's mug for 6 hours?  (Oooh, feel the burn. 

But seriously, stop by if you can, even if it's in the middle of a movie time.  It's just a bunch of horror fans getting together and... well, whatever happens. big_smile

Thanks for the invite, guys.  I guess I'll just have to download Skype and join you if I'm at home and up when it's going on.  I'll PM you my user name whenever I get it done.

Ah, Max sent me his Skype name, & we are chatting.

I thought Hell Night was decent, its somewhat typical 80's slasher but it has a few nice surprises and Linda Blair ofcourse!

Well, I love almost all 80's slashers. Even the really terrible ones, so needless to say I like Hell Night. Not the most entertaining 80's slasher, but it has it's moments.

Last edited by Suspiria_89 (2012-07-25 21:24:25)

Maxwell wrote:
azathoth wrote:

Thanks for the invite, guys.  I guess I'll just have to download Skype and join you if I'm at home and up when it's going on.  I'll PM you my user name whenever I get it done.

Good to have someone else on board big_smile You'll either love our movie nights and come to every single one in the future or be put off for life eh Azzy wink

On topic.. I think I might have seen Hell Night and I vaguely remember enjoying it for what it is. Will have to find it out and give it another look. Can someone tell me the exact year so I know I'm finding the right one?

Hell Night (1981)

Thank you azzy.