Topic: Horror that made you flinch!

We all like horror here. Some of us are die hard fans of everything and most of us can say we are desensitized to the more extreme elements of our hobby. But everyone has at least 1 movie that has made you want to turn away even if we can't bring ourselves to take our eyes of the screen whether it be the violent content, extreme gore, sexual violence or even just the films subject matter. Even if it didn't scare you but just grossed you out completely.

What films made you flinch, wince and hide behind your fingers?

For me, Girl Next Door (originally a book by Jack Ketchum) had me flinching on numerous occasions, suggested violence upsets me more than actual on screen violence and this one got me.

(make this thread fun smile )

Re: Horror that made you flinch!

I can handle anything a horror film can throw at me -- except for actual human or animal suffering.  You'll never see me with a copy of Banned from TV, for instance, and I abhor movies like Cannibal Holocaust and Cannibal Ferox which feature animals being tortured or killed.

I saw enough real death in conbat.  I don't want it in a movie, especially considering that with today's FX technology, there's nothing that can't be convincingly faked.

I won't entertain them either if I'm honest. I know Deodatto was really ashamed of himself and they gave the meat etc to real cannibals but it still makes me sick about it.

^ I hear ya Lon. I don't go for the infamous Cannibal films either. Pointless to me and just wrong.

I'm a pretty jaded horror fan, but there have been a few films that have made me cringe. The Girl Next Door is one of them. Parts of that one were just so hard to digest. Speaking of digestion... Dumplings. God, the crunching. Even the thought of it makes me cringe. And I'm not sure you could consider it true horror, but Feed had scenes that just squicked me out.

Right on, Lon.

There are a few movies out there that I've seen that made me " flinch."

The first was - (1973) The Exorcist. Watched it at a Drive-In when it first came out and there were quite a few scenes that made me flinch. The most notable being the " crucifix scene."  Given; I was 11-12 at the time.

The most recent movie that made me turn away was - Nekromantik. Holy cow! I watched it on VHS in the early 90'2 and couldn't finish watching it.

Last edited by Underdog (2012-07-28 14:47:29)

I don't feel like these 2 films get enough love for whatever reason, but THE DENTIST 1 & 2 are like fingernails across the chalkboard for me, as I HATE going to the dentist!!!  Just the thought of metal instruments jabbing into my gums, scraping my teeth, suctioning my cheeks, and the smell and gagging taste of flouride (I don't care what 'flavor" it is, it all makes me nauseated) is enough to inspire intense feelings of dread.  I finally had to have a wisdom tooth pulled last year, and it was one of the most uncomfortable experiences of my life.  So, while I find these movies to be insanely campy fun overall, there are some extreme scenes of oral mutilation that are just about too much for a dental-phobe like me to handle.

mine would be Cabin Fever to this day I cant watch that girl shave her legs. If I think of more I will edit but thats the only one I can think of at the moment

My phobia is eyes.  So any scene where they are touching or harming someone's eyes makes me cringe and blink.  Theatre Bizarre, A Clockwork Orange, Zombi 2... They all make me cringe.  smile

^^^ Then you might want to avoid a flick called Anguish, from 1987. 

You'll thank me later.

I will take your word for it smile

Not just jumping on the bandwagon for responses to this Thread as I had my response ready before I saw any of them, but yeah...Cannibal Holocaust and the animal scenes.  Infuriates me.  However, I don't think I actually looked away though.

I have a problem watching broken bone scenes.  So like, if someone was going to be tortured and they were breaking their arm I might look away.

Tongues being cut out.  Game of Thrones had a scene (even though they really didn't show it) where I looked away for a bit.

Any movie where the achilles tendon gets cut makes me look away for some reason I just cant stand it.

After giving this more thought, I remember this scene from Grotesque. It's where he cuts the tips of her nipples off. I didn't know whether to cross my arms over my chest or cover my eyes. I had to look away.

I can't even think of watching Cannibal Holocaust.

And anything with spiders.

Ergh gross. I don't get the fasination with the removal of sexual organs and genitalia in horror makes me feel rather icky. A scene from I spit on your graves comes to mind where she removes his penis with sheers and rams it down his throat. Brilliant revenge but it even made me cross my legs!

Dang.  A lot of what everyone else is mentioning also makes me flinch.  Good ol' Fucli style occular trauma, Cannibal Ferox-esque/New York Ripper style nipple mutilations, broken bones that jut out of the flesh...  anything that seems like it would hurt worse than actually getting killed in an efficient, be-heading type of way makes me squirm a bit.

Also, anything involving fingernails or toenails being pulled off or having something sharp shoved under them is totally uncool.  Nothing is popping to mind right now, but I know I've seen it out there.

^^ Oh, then don't watch Imprint. It has one of the nastiest nail scenes.

Ms.Gorefiend wrote:

^^ Oh, then don't watch Imprint. It has one of the nastiest nail scenes.

I've seen it once when it first came out.  I know there's a lot of sharp implements being used for torture in this one.  Is this the one where the girl has needles shoved under her nails?  Anything like that is just wrong.

Oh, and the achilles heel violence?  Yeesh...  Pet Semetery scarred me for life with that and then Hostel went and did it again.  Nasty, painful stuff.

^^ Yes. needles under the nails up close and in gory detail. Frontier(s) has a pretty good achilles scene where the guy uses a huge set of clippers. I was cringing, I admit it.

Ankles just make me sick full stop even without sharp things being stabbed into them. Theres a scene in an anime that I like that has nails being put into an instrument that when you hit the other end of it, it flings the nail off. Even though it was a cartoon it still made me grind my teeth a bit.

Ms.Gorefiend wrote:

^^ Yes. needles under the nails up close and in gory detail. Frontier(s) has a pretty good achilles scene where the guy uses a huge set of clippers. I was cringing, I admit it.

Ah I forgot about the one in Frontier(s) that was nasty.

Last edited by KillerClown (2012-07-28 11:48:40)

Bones breaking...that's a good one to turn away from.
I remember watching YouTube videos of kids jumping down a flight of stairs on their skateboards.
And you actually see the bone snap when they land. Eeek

Broken bones and look at all, even in scary movie when Buffy breaks her leg after look away but i okay when her  head get chopped  off lol