Topic: Dead & Buried

Just rewatched Gary Sherman's Dead & Buried (1981) on Netlix for the 1st time since it was released on DVD.  For those of you who haven't seen it, it concerns a local sheriff's investigation into a rash of brutal murders at the hands of townsfolk in the seaside town of Porter's Bluff, New England.  With Sherman's direction, storyline credits that include Dan O'Bannon (Alien, ROTLD), and FX by Stan Winston, Dead & Buried is an dreamily atomospheric, slow-paced, Lovecraft-tinged horror-mystery that's sure to be a treat for patient fans who appreciate well-earned shocks and surprises over the rapid-fire splatter fests of the past decade. 

Any fans of this one out there?

Re: Dead & Buried

I haven't seen it yet, but it's in my Netflix queue.

Note: If you see any other good ones on there, let me know. The search feature on there sucks ass.

Yup, I'm a fan.  I have the Blue Underground Limited Edition 2-disk and pimp the flick often.  One of the things I like most about it is the eerie, dreamlike atmosphere you mentioned.  They certainly took full advantage of having shot on location for the most part in a seaside town.  You can almost feel the cool breeze and smell the sea salt in the air when you watch this flick.

SPOILER (left click and drag below if you want the twist ruined for you):

To this day I insist that M. Night Shyamalan ripped the ending off for The Sixth Sense, dammit.

END SPOILER

At any rate, it's definitely worth a look.

Huge fan of this one. I actually just watched it a few months ago. Love the story, the surprisingly creepy atmosphere and of course that awesome ending. A classic must see horror film.

I haven't seen this in qiute awhile. I forget it. Maybe tonight -I'll rewatch it

I liked it, the story was quite different from most 80's fare, I give it props for that alone. I thought it was a solid film in about every aspect, coulda done with a bit more action but still a solid film imo.

I just rewatched it again and now I remember why I have only seen it once years ago. I find that it just drags on way too much. It's OK but nothing spectacular or special. It gets boring at times and it has its share of wtf moments like the guys wife after the little car collision and her going in the house looking for ice for her kid. Thats the best part to poke fun at since not much happens and like I said it takes forever to get to the ending.

Really enjoyed Dead and Buried.  It took me forever to track down a DVD for it.  It was one of those
Movies I remember watching when I was a kid on late night cable tv. When I watched it again so many years later I was surprised to see Robert Englund in it smile

Another fan here.

Have this on VHS loved it

Just watched it yesterday. A solid horror film but nothing spectacular. Certainly it appears to be one of the better 'video nasties' out there however.

Vasquez wrote:

Just watched it yesterday. A solid horror film but nothing spectacular. Certainly it appears to be one of the better 'video nasties' out there however.

Doesn't really have much competition there really wink

I found it out so gonna give it a watch at some point.

Maxwell wrote:

sure to be a treat for patient fans who appreciate well-earned shocks and surprises over the rapid-fire splatter fests of the past decade. 

Any fans of this one out there?

Me!  As long as I care about the characters and find them interesting.  I added it to me Queue as well.

when fish eat the bindings of words chaos shall come

Just finished it.  Actually pretty good.

Lon - Re your spoiler...without spoiling myself...curious why you used the word "insist."  Other than the similarities (which clearly are strong) is there anything else that makes you feel that way?  Not arguing mind you...genuinely curious.

No problem, Ghostie.  My two cents:

SPOILERS (left click and drag below if you want the movie ruined for you):

I use the word "insist" because of the similarities you mention, similarities which I don't think can be argued against.  I'm not saying The Sixth Sense is a bad movie or anything; lots of movies are inspired by/homage/rip-off movies which came before them.  But The Sixth Sense bears more than a passing resemblance; a couple story points aside (you have to make SOME things different so nobody can accuse you of making a carbon copy) it's almost the exact same film -- from a character and story standpoint, a twist standpoint, an overall tone standpoint, a thematic standpoint, etc.

END SPOILER

I would go into more detail but I'd like folks to watch the two films and compare for themselves.  I don't want to spell everything out for them. lol

ill bump my original score of 6/10 to 7/10 for this one. My original score may have been a bit harsh.

I don't why but cover always put me off this movie lol

Heres some random facts on the movie including its involvement in the 'Video Nasty' scandal.

- Passed uncut with certificate in April 1981 in the UK

- Subsequently put on the DPP list in the UK

- Reclassified for Video in April 1990 in the UK with 30 seconds cut

- Stars Robert Englund

Last edited by Vasquez (2012-08-31 17:26:56)

- co-stars the late Lisa Blount, who co-stars in Carpenter's Prince of Darkness.
- FX by Stan Winston
- written by Ron "Total Recall" Shusset and Dan "Return of the Living Dead" O'Bannon
- The director avoided using the color red except in scenes involving blood, so the sight of it would be more shocking

It has been eons since I saw it, due for a rewatch so I added it to my queue as well.  The hospital scene with the poor bloke bandaged from head to toe is permanently etched in my mind.

alien25 wrote:

It has been eons since I saw it, due for a rewatch so I added it to my queue as well.  The hospital scene with the poor bloke bandaged from head to toe is permanently etched in my mind.

and what happens to him makes me cringe...yuck

I never would have known that bandaged victim was an animatronic puppet if not for the DVD featurette.  That was an excellent, excellent effect.

Watching it now....Forgot the Coroner is Granpa Joe from Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory!  smile

i have not seen yet,,,,,but i really want to see this movie......