Topic: Suspiria remake

They are really going to remake this? Why, oh why?

I'm trying to set my revulsion aside and look at this objectively. Can it be done well? Should they update the original film, still trying to stay true to the unusual, beautiful atmosphere and over all creepy feel of Argento's work, or go in a different direction? I'm honestly just trying to wrap my head around this. Help me out.

Re: Suspiria remake

I stopped stressing myself out over remakes with Dawn of the Dead '04.  I had the realization that if they were going to remake my all-time favorite movie then NOTHING is sacred.

I don't like the idea of Suspiria being remade, but, nothing we can do to stop it.  The best we can do is just not watch it. hmm

It's been on remake for long times, what ever happened to the birds remake, the last i heard of that someone got cast lead role or something and that was back in 2008 i think!

LoudLon wrote:

I stopped stressing myself out over remakes with Dawn of the Dead '04.  I had the realization that if they were going to remake my all-time favorite movie then NOTHING is sacred.

I don't like the idea of Suspiria being remade, but, nothing we can do to stop it.  The best we can do is just not watch it. hmm

This debate is indeed at least a decade old.  I remember well the heated discussions we had over the TCM & DOTD remakes back in the Zombie-Keeper forums.  I'm not completely against remakes at all.  I believe the TCM, DOTD, and The Hills Have Eyes were all good remakes/reimaginings of favorites that can't hope to exist on the same levels as the originals, while Carpenter's The Thing and Cronenberg's The Fly far surpassed the originals.  Then you got F13, ANOES, Psycho, My Bloody Valentine, and all that which were better left unmade, as they didn't strike a chord with the public, which is why they didn't even get a DTV sequel.  The less said about RZ'S Halloween movies the better.

I also would rather Suspiria not be remade, as I don't see how anyone can surpass Argento's masterpiece.  However, I feel that if you're not willing to do something new with the source material and at least TRY and surpass the original on some level, then it should not be attempted.  I can understand popular American franchises like F13, Halloween , TCM, and ANOES being rebooted, as they are familiar titles that have proven to draw money time and time again in the past.  It's hard to imagine the reasoning behind remaking a classic foreign title for mainstream audiences who have likely never heard of it, except fooling audiences into thinking that is indeed the hottest, scariest, NEW ORIGINAL horror movie they've got to see.

So, why is Savini remaking Children Shouldn't Play With Dead Things?  Those of who know our history, know why Savini & Romero remade NOTLD, but CSPWDT is one of those cult classics that likely CAN be improved upon and who better to do it than the second man whose name is synonymous with zombies (and did a good job on the NOTLD remake, I might add).

Like Lon said, all you can do is not watch it.  The fact that a remake of a favorite classic horror film exists does not ruin the original nor mar its legacy, as it will always be sitting there on my shelf for me to watch anytime I need to wash the taste of modern mainstream horror out of my mouth.  Now, about that Evil Dead remake...

Last edited by Maxwell (2012-07-28 14:49:16)

I like a lot of horror remakes, even some that most fans seem to hate(Friday remake) but I have almost no faith in this one. I can already visualize the CGI gore roll ( If it's even going to contain any gore)

Last edited by Suspiria_89 (2012-07-28 16:39:49)

This doesn't need a remake.... its just some money hungry bastards I bet who are even thinking about it!

I don't dislike remakes. I actually own a few - TCM, Halloween, Dawn of the Dead... I just don't see how they can remake this one. There's something special about the original that I don't think they can recreate.

Ms.Gorefiend wrote:

I don't dislike remakes. I actually own a few - TCM, Halloween, Dawn of the Dead... I just don't see how they can remake this one. There's something special about the original that I don't think they can recreate.

That's the way many feel about the ones you just mentioned.  It always sucks when your absolute favorite gets the remake treatment.  Hell, just look at that Day of the Dead thing they stuck on DVD a few years back!

^^ Ugh, I know.

Theres a really bad Day Of The Dead..... 2 Contagium that one sucks
not sure if thats the one you mean max.

Think he's talking about the actual day of the dead remake with ving rhames and Mena Suvari
That was appalling. Have Suspiria on dvd and love it can't believe they are gonna rape this one to

@Demon- Ugh, I actually watched DotD2- Contagion.  Bad, bad stuff.

We ended up talking about the Suspiria remake for a good bit during Movie Night.  We couldn't think of a way to successfully pull off a remake that would even slightly resemble the original.

I'm not completely opposed to remakes.  If the film intended to be remade left room for improvement -- like the original The Fly or The Blob -- then by all means, remake them.  But movies like Dawn of the Dead, TCM, Evil Dead, Suspiria, Psycho, Halloween?  Movies generally considered to be among the best the genre has to offer and which were perfectly fine to begin with?  Why bother?  Sure, the DOTD and Halloween remakes came out okay but they're still FAR from being as good as their original films.

Remake the shitty ones, fine.  But leave the good ones alone.

^^ lol I couldn't have said it better.

hostel2006 wrote:

Think he's talking about the actual day of the dead remake with ving rhames and Mena Suvari
That was appalling. Have Suspiria on dvd and love it can't believe they are gonna rape this one to

Hostel is right DTS.  I'm talking about the one with Ving Rhames that a lot of people thought was going to be a direct sequel to Zack Snyder's 2004 Dawn of the Dead remake at first simply because Ving Rhames was attached to it.  That would have been preferable, because boy, is it bad!

It's true that Day of the Dead 2: Contagium came out before this past Day of the Dead remake thing came out.  I've never seen it, but heard it was awful.  I didn't expect much from that shitty DTV remake either, but a morbid sense of curiousity got the better of me and I paid the price dearly.  I mean, Nick Cannon is in it for God's sake!

Hope that the lighting and the blood effect are good in this. So are the acting and I hope they re-use Goblin's score.

I'm pretty skeptical about this one. but I always am with remakes. It's not that I don't like them, I just fear a complete butchering of a movie like Suspiria. How could you have Suspiria without music from the Goblins? Or without the visual displays of Argento? Nonetheless I'll check it out, the movie does have a lot to work with.